Nice Photos.

Originally Posted by rodwsmith:

Bussana Vecchia, Liguria

Abandoned after an earthquake in 1878. Gradually repopulated by artists and hippies in the sixties. A stand-off with the Italian government ensued, and after a tense time when eviction (with violence) was threatened, instead the government made safe as much of the remaining buildings as possible and allowed the people to continue living and working there. Which they still are. 

Can't believe I've lived here six years before visiting.

I think it is technically in Imperia, but a very cool place. We were cycling in Piemonte a few weeks back. Got down into Liguria a couple of times. Nice part of the world, for sure.

Originally Posted by winkyincanada:
We were cycling in Piemonte a few weeks back. Got down into Liguria a couple of times. Nice part of the world, for sure.

You're so right... In fact I was born and raised in Piemonte and hope to end my life in Liguria.

I hope you had a good stay in my home land, and thanks for your appreciation.

Cheers

Max

At risk of thread drift, Bussana is indeed in Imperia, and Imperia is in Liguria. 

(Village, Province, Region). I do like living in Nice, but one of the greatest attractions is that Italy is a 40 minute drive away, the people are lovely, the food is amazing, the scenery is more unspoilt, and everything (except petrol) is better value. I can also get to Barolo in 2.5 hours! Fantastico!

Rodwsmith,now I know that Englishmen are everywhere in the world.Can't believe you spent six years of your life in Bussana,one of my favourite place in Italy.I was there for the very first time in the sixties,with my parents.Our seaside home in Liguria is not so far from Bussana Vecchia,it's in Laigueglia.I know this village very well,simply beautiful.Hope you would appreciate my church's pic as I appreciated yours.

. DSC00320

Originally Posted by maxbertola:
We were cycling in Piemonte a few weeks back. Got down into Liguria a couple of times. Nice part of the world, for sure.

You're so right... In fact I was born and raised in Piemonte and hope to end my life in Liguria.

I hope you had a good stay in my home land, and thanks for your appreciation.

Cheers

Max

We had a great time Max. We really liked Mombaruzzo. Very authentic. A lot of character but not "touristy" with the exception of the Amaretto business, perhaps. Great hosts at the apartments where we stayed. We got to know a few of the locals. We had a beer each evening in the club of the local agricultural society. The people are incredibly friendly. 

The cycling is sublime, quiet roads winding through vineyards to hilltop villages, churches and castles. Great food, even at the inexpensive cafes in the tiny towns. Just wonderful.

P1000318 by winkyintheuk, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w...s/72157634242270872/

Sorry Fabio, I've misled you. I've lived in Nizza for six years, but only visited Bussana for the first time yesterday. Criminal, but now the spell has been broken and I imagine it will be on the itinerary for visitors for the forseeable future...

Salute!

Rod

It's ok Rod.

Not an especially good photo, but it is of Nice, and as there isn't a TdF thread anywhere else (surprisingly), they cycled quite quickly past our offices today.

(Spot the product placement. Red-white-blue as opposed to blue-white-red was an accident of traffic rules, misheard directions, opposing views of helicopter views, and deliberate bloody-mindedness.)

Originally Posted by Kevin-W:
Originally Posted by Mabelode, King of Swords:

Motorbikes Lovely Steve. You used a D800 - did you get rid of the M-Monochrom?

Thanks Kevin. No, I still have the Monochrom. I bought the D800 before the Monochrom, and use both regularly. I also had a Fuji X100 which I have just replaced with a Sony RX100 because I needed a pocket-sized compact. 

Steve

Not an especially good photo, but it is of Nice, and as there isn't a TdF thread anywhere else (surprisingly), they cycled quite quickly past our offices today.

(Spot the product placement. Red-white-blue as opposed to blue-white-red was an accident of traffic rules, misheard directions, opposing views of helicopter views, and deliberate bloody-mindedness.)

I'm not able to discern the logo on the vans. What product placement is it?

....but it is of Nice, ...... they cycled quite quickly past our offices today.

What is Nice really like? The couple of times I've passed through it strikes me as a hot, car-congested-gridlocked, overcrowded hell-hole. I guess I have it badly wrong, though.

My company is Vins Sans Frontières or just VSF (www.vsfgroup.com).

I think you have Nice all wrong, it's a great place to be. The traffic is not as you describe, and in population terms it's France's fifth biggest city with 350k people over a large area. Not spectacularly populous. So, I guess it depends how you define "overcrowded" and "hellhole". I find it neither, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

My company is Vins Sans Frontières or just VSF (www.vsfgroup.com).

I think you have Nice all wrong, it's a great place to be. The traffic is not as you describe, and in population terms it's France's fifth biggest city with 350k people over a large area. Not spectacularly populous. So, I guess it depends how you define "overcrowded" and "hellhole". I find it neither, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I must have caught it on a bad day (twice). I have no plans to return, but you never know.

Add Reply

Likes (12)
Don AtkinsonIvo BHaim RonenoldneilrobgrMikeT.FangfossFlyerSteve JQuad 33Former MemberKevin-WCbr600