Off the deep end

its great when I'm working 60 hours a week. Don't have time to futz around with the stereo.

yestrday - decided the stereo didn't aesthetically appealing on the fraim. Most pics show the naim gear edges all the way to the front and tried to do the same.

30 minutes later - system sounds super bright. Unbearably so. Maybe not bright / certainly noisy.

Hmm / maybe the cable dressing got messed up? Residual mucrophonics?

last night tried to fix the cabling as best as I could. No help.

maybe I've gotten used to the Harbeth sound and kudos too bright?

went to bed early.

this am - system still not recovered. Still too bright sounding.

Pushed the 552 about 1/2 - 1 an inch in towards the back.

system is singing again.

at times like this, I wonder why I bother with Naim. Sell the lot of go back to a nait 5.

who am I kidding. I have no delusions of being able to downsize. Still - 300 to 250 probably worth it - If it takes away some setup stuff. Next step 500?

Original Post
MangoMonkey posted:

at times like this, I wonder why I bother with Naim. Sell the lot of go back to a nait 5.

who am I kidding. I have no delusions of being able to downsize. Still - 300 to 250 probably worth it - If it takes away some setup stuff. Next step 500?

You may consider getting the Nait 5 or any integrated amp for that matter as an alternative amp where you can swap in and out of the system at any time. In other words a backup amp. I wager you will return to the 552/300 in a matter of days or hours, or perhaps develop a higher appreciation for the bigger amp(s) more after having a short stint of listening fun with the smaller amp.

...amp with tone controls Mango? I think you'll be so much happier....you could downgrade to Luxman 590ax2 and you won't stop grinning. You'll never go back to class ab.

.....oh, and you'd be downgrading to what some think is the worlds finest integrated amp.

When I had a Fraim I had the boxes aligned with the front of the glass, which looked and sounded very nice. 

Maybe your glass is upside down. Getting it the right way up can make a very audible difference. Have you tightened the Fraim in the last year? If not, it's worth doing that too, as the legs can work loose. Are the spikes centralised so that they don't touch the walls of the cups? That also makes a difference. 

Here's what I did -

changedtge system around so that on the left it looks like this:

top to bottom: nds/552/300/<emptyshelf>.

Previously it was 552/space/nds/300.

this allows me to have the hiline higher up so it did not touch the ground, the 552 cables to hang more loosely and further apart from the nds burndies.

music is  not as clear anymore - however I'm not entirely sure whether that is bad or good. It's not clear due to the addition of bass I suspect.. in which case it is good. In any event the brightnesss that I was complaining about is gone.. I'm not even sure how to describe it - its not so much that the music was bright before / just that there was too much 'noise' - the opposite of inky black dark background..

its bad when the 272/xps/250 betters the nds/552/300 in that regard...

Anyway - even the previous arrangement was fine until I fiddled around with the placement on the shelf but I couldn't get it to work properly once I had futzed with it so had to start over. 

Add Reply