Oppo 205- serious streamer?

just got an email saying the new oppo 205 has best in class ESS chip build in, dsd, flac etc...it's all there!

so is this a serious streamer and if so, in what SQ level does it play? NDX, NDS?

and does it support roon? any hint here?

thanks!

Ralf

Original Post

I don't 'see' this as a serious streamer;  its primarily a disc player - 4K UHD, Blu-ray, 3D, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD and CD - the advertising & specs hardly mention streaming.   The spec & associated descriptions majors on HDMI (x2) USB & Coax inputs & although its got an RJ45 port its not even mentioned in the specifications input block.  It has the briefest mention of streaming "Built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi or Gigabit Ethernet connects the UDP-205 to users’ home networks, so users can easily play media files stored on computers and home servers."   I can't find anything on web streaming.  

Don't get too hung up on which DAC chip a player uses, the implementation of the digital and analogue circuitry surrounding the DAC has far more impact on the sound than does the DAC chip itself (the DAC chip is just one component in a complex mix of circuitry and firmware making the DAC function).

Whilst I agree with the caution above I suspect the 205 will be a very capable streamer.

When I got my 105D I tried a quick experiment, and my expectations were fully met with a miserable performance.

When my NS01 died I came back to the 105D, and spent time setting it up properly. It gave a surprisingly good performance. Some people have taken to modding the box with LPSU etc, and have reported excellent results, something that I shy away from nowadays.

Whether it ultimately proves good enough for you may well depend on what your requirements are.

M

T38.45 posted:

could you compare the 105D with a NDX/NDS or MDS/Linn box?

I have all 3: Oppo 105, NDX and NDS at home. 

I first started with Oppo - now use it only to play BluRay discs and as an occasional transport to my nDAC.  

Oppo is a capable player. 

NDX and NDS are simply in a different league so comparing Oppo to them is unfair. 

Huge posted:

Don't get too hung up on which DAC chip a player uses, the implementation of the digital and analogue circuitry surrounding the DAC has far more impact on the sound than does the DAC chip itself (the DAC chip is just one component in a complex mix of circuitry and firmware making the DAC function).

Absolutely agree with Huge on this one ...

The number of times that people presume that they can determine how a product will sound simply because of which DAC chip is used in it is quite surprising but yes, it is the implementation of the DAC and its surrounding circuitry (power supplies, regulation, filtering and analogue circuit path) that ultimately determine how a product will "sound" even more than the DAC chip itself IMO.

Best

Phil

On the subject of the contribution made by a DAC chip, one might even go further, as Naim did with the original CD5i which used the most modest DAC chip in the Philips line-up, and showed that getting the fundamentals right, i.e. the power supplies and the mechanical elements, was a greater budgetary priority in obtaining a musical result than compromising these and spending more on the DAC chipset.

Yes, it lacked a bit of refinement and arguably the DAC chip was the weakest part of the original CD5i, but the fact that for all its faults the CD5i made music so much fun to listen to in the right system rather vindicated Naim's approach.

I'd agree with that Richard.  Some time (I think 2003 or there abouts), after our separation, I took my other half to audition a new Hi-Fi.

We listened to a Roksan Kandy setup, and while it was OK, there was something missing; so we swapped that for Cyrus 6 electronics... a bit more detail, but there was something missing.  Then we put in the CD5i & Nait 5i and found what had been missing - the music!  Two bars in, we looked at each other and both said "That's it!".

The Naim system came home with us.  For all the technical sophistication of the Cyrus setup it just couldn't touch the 5i pairing.

Likes (0)