Ovator S400 vs Kudos Super 20s

The Strat (Fender) posted:

I guess the future for Naim branded speakers  was always in the balance once the partnership with Focal was established.  

Had Ovators sold in high numbers and created profit, I think they were further developed down the line

Never been my cup really, nor Focal but the older Naim range, some of them were pretty amazing

Christopher_M posted:
MangoMonkey posted:

..... Wondering...

Why though, Mango? Earlier you reported how much fun the Kudos X2s were, and you have S20s too.

C.

Kudos X2 are really not in the same ball park as the rest of the components. I've got them running at the end of the a uq2.

s20s are awesome - that just don't work very well in my living room  - too much glass - and they are bright.

And dimensions are 40ft by 18ft. Listening area is 18ft by 12ft - vaulted ceilings. They back into glass windows.

anyway - my friendly dealer will drop off a set of ovators for me to home demo. :-)

MangoMonkey posted:
Christopher_M posted:
MangoMonkey posted:

..... Wondering...

Why though, Mango? Earlier you reported how much fun the Kudos X2s were, and you have S20s too.

C.

Kudos X2 are really not in the same ball park as the rest of the components. I've got them running at the end of the a uq2.

s20s are awesome - that just don't work very well in my living room  - too much glass - and they are bright.

And dimensions are 40ft by 18ft. Listening area is 18ft by 12ft - vaulted ceilings. They back into glass windows.

anyway - my friendly dealer will drop off a set of ovators for me to home demo. :-)

Thanks Mango. Isn't this more or less where you came in with a question about room acoustics and your Rega R3s (?) all those years ago? Is it déjà vu all over again?

Good luck with Ovators.

C.

@Chris - Probably. However, the biggest issue were networking related - and not so much the room. The tweaks that I've done over the years to bring the noisefloor down - with the latest one being the biggest bang for the buck:

a) Move from Synology NAS to QNAP TS-453A. This was the last step - and biggest win. For the first time, the streamers sound as good as the Naim CD players I demoed many many years ago. Biggest changes - lower noise floor, separation, a lot more detail. I was wondering why spotify always seemed like it had a lower noise floor than the Unitiserv. Now - spotify sounds broken. First time ever. In all cases, I was playing from the Unitiserv - just using the NAS as file storage.

b) Network cables, routers etc. All on TrippLite power conditioners. This is around the house wherever any network component is in play

If I had these two things in place several years ago, I probably would not have gone past the Logitech Streamer, Rega Dac, NaitXS. :-) Ok maybe ND5XS/NaitXS. Instead, I upgraded from the ND5XS to the NDX to the NDS... and landed on the 552/300. arghh!!!

Was fighting another monster over the weekend - has to move things around - and system super bright again. fixed a bunch of things but no luck. Final step was to reverse the Chord Ethernet cable. And viola. System is back again.

Over the last month was probably for the first time the system came together. 

And I had left everything alone over the past year or so - was busy with other stuff.. and system sounded fine - but not spectacular..
Lets see whether the ovators can tame the treble though - if they can, I could repurpose the Super 20s ...

Christopher_M posted:

Why the sledging? Mango's just trying to get as much pleasure as possible from playing back music at home, same as the rest of us.

Chris

Sledging (?) - if you're finding the system comes together once an Ethernet cable is reversed then something is up. I'd expect more at this level of kit. If my system was this sensitive then i'd be getting some help from my dealer to help me sort out what's going on...

I had S20 on home audition while I owned S-400, two years ago. The room came out in the end as bright sounding and I left it as a music room. Still, Ovator was brighter and more shouty in that room than Kudos. At that time I kept Ovator because of the "live" presentation and me thinking I would solve the room issues.

Based on my latest findings with Kudos (I have ordered Super 20) in my new room, they can sound a bit upfront, but I have tamed it quite easily. There was a S-400 set available to a bargain some weeks ago, but I chose to let them go based on my former findings.

MM, you should just fill your room with more furniture, bookshelfs and so on. If not, you will as I said above, not come to an end with this.

All in my opinion of course.

james n posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Why the sledging? Mango's just trying to get as much pleasure as possible from playing back music at home, same as the rest of us.

Chris

Sledging (?) - if you're finding the system comes together once an Ethernet cable is reversed then something is up. I'd expect more at this level of kit. If my system was this sensitive then i'd be getting some help from my dealer to help me sort out what's going on...

I just think let's cut people a bit of slack, James, over what's supposed to be a pleasure.

Best, Chris

MangoMonkey posted:

HiFi is funny - the only speaker that I think worked perfectly in that room were the tiny Harbeth P3ESR. Maybe living rooms like mine are common in the USA, and that's why Harbeth seems to be very popular here..

My wild guess; to a certain degree it`s because of it`s character, but basically because of it`s size and obviously less room sensitive?

Once a week, the same way some people go to church, most of us should remember that the recording is 90% of what comes out of the system. Tonight I have played two CDs on my CDX2-lavender-Supernait-S–400s. One was dreadful (an older recording of Mahler's 9th Symphony from 1975, probably live, probably badly recorded), the other a splendid recording I was very amiably presented by a forum friend; it is now sounding gorgeous. The real source is the recording, and all the rest is secondary. Please, never forget this or each one of us is doomed to perennial paranoia.

Add Reply