Russell K Red 120 - New speakers imminent

According to the Russell K Facebook page, their latest Red 120 compact floorstanding loudspeakers are to be launched at the Bristol Sound & Vision Show 2017. Exciting news for people who have enjoyed Russell K speakers. No other info on the 120's, but if anything like the big Red 150's, then the 120's should be a tantalising prospect.

I have to admit, that I’d hoped they were going to launch another set of bookshelf boxes with more scope for close to / on wall placement.

For those lucky enough to be attending the show, Russell K speakers will be in Room 204 on the 2nd Floor. Wish I was going now!

Mac Mini & Asset UPnP / UnitiQute2 / Witchhat N2 / Monitor Audio R252

Original Post

At the Sound & Vision Show, the Russell K's won’t be on demo with Naim amps , but they do play exceptionally well with Naim amps and streamers. 

Keith, I wasn't aware of the R50 as the starting point for the R120, they should be good then! Thanks for the heads up about the Chester Show too, i’ll put that in the diary and hopefully will head along.

Yes, I would think so - it was at the show last year that they had the CDX2 / 282 / 250 (I think that was the combination - could be wrong) making the 100 and 150 sound sublime. Just been looking at the Acoustica bulletin and I wonder if the new Uniti range will be on demo with the RK's - certainly hope so!

keith waring posted:

think they are based on the k 50s, with the smaller 5 inch bass unit. They can be heard at the Acoustica  hi-fi show at Chester weekend of11/ 12 March.

Thanks - i prefer the look of the 150's over the stand mounts so the 120 sounds a very interesting proposition. 

Yes - I'm surprised too. I keep having a look on the website / FB page and not a thing. Russell is monitoring the forum as he acknowledged this thread (which was nice of him), referencing another new speaker (oooh!) to be launched too  Assuming the chaos of the Bristol Show itself is proving an understandable slow down in reacting to social media.From Russell's FB feed:

"For those of our friends who follow us on the Naim Forum, we spotted this post. We have indeed promised the release of the 120 at the Bristol show....and for those seeking a new small speaker watch this page closely over the next few days for something which will take your breath away...."

Russell, you little tease!

No images of the R120 just yet, but this image looks interesting (just appeared on Russell's FB page) showing a new speaker in development. To me the RHS speaker in the deep red / zebrano type finish looks like it could be a higher end / finished Red 50? Exciting times with the product range expanding and wish Russell all the success with these new models. Great to see a new UK company thriving. Copied and pasted from FB ...

"Well what a fantastic time at the Bristol Show - so many great comments from visitors to see the new Red 120 - photos will follow tomorrow... left my camera at the hotel so I apologise for no photos of the 120's just yet. However here is a photo of something else to look forward to us developing in the coming months!"

Think i read that Russell was working on a active speaker, but would have to enlarge the existing speakers .The pictured speakers look like the signatures,like you say an upmarket finish,look like the same speakers cones ,uprated internally ? Good to see a new energetic company on the block,good luck to Russell.

Thanks Wenger - I take it those are the 120 speakers - looks like only 1 port compared to the bigger 150. Shame the speakers terminals look like they are most of the way up the cabinet as it makes the cabling (looks like TQ here) untidy. Will be interested to see more info when they (eventually) appear on the Russell K site 

james n posted:

Thanks Wenger - I take it those are the 120 speakers - looks like only 1 port compared to the bigger 150. Shame the speakers terminals look like they are most of the way up the cabinet as it makes the cabling (looks like TQ here) untidy. Will be interested to see more info when they (eventually) appear on the Russell K site 

The speaker cables were TQ ultra blacks, the terminals are indeed very high at the back of the cabinet,  unfortunately for me, they didn't leave a great impression , I was somewhat underwhelmed, maybe it was the room....

Intersting - thanks Wenger they look of similar promotions to the 150, but with a slightly narrower cabinet and of course the single port. I wonder why they didn't impress - could have been room as you mention perhaps? Hopefully they will feature at the Acoustica show with Naim hardware driving them.  

Yetizone posted:

Intersting - thanks Wenger they look of similar promotions to the 150, but with a slightly narrower cabinet and of course the single port. I wonder why they didn't impress - could have been room as you mention perhaps? Hopefully they will feature at the Acoustica show with Naim hardware driving them.  

They were way way to bright in presentation, very uncomfortable on the ear, I had to leave the room...

wenger2015 posted:
They were way way to bright in presentation, very uncomfortable on the ear, I had to leave the room..

Mmm, curious. System synergy? Room acoustics? Pre production units with crossover fine tuning to do before first supplies are released? Overly bright presentation doesn’t sound like the RK speakers I’ve heard, and owning old timer MA speakers I’m pretty tuned in to shouty high frequencies. 

I do look forward hearing them in person - hopefully at the Acoustica show.

Hi I listened to these at the show...on female vocals.... the upper midrange seemed somewhat exposed ... and there was little warmth. I don't think speaker positioning was great....closer to a wall may of helped. I think this speaker may demo better at home.

When i tried the k100s the treble was a bit sharp, on some cds,on moving the speakers nearer the back wall this helped a great deal.This and the speakers needing a long run in ,about 6 months to reach there best,so i think like Richieroo said a home demo is the way to go with the 120 k speakers.

Listened briefly to the Red 120's at the Bristol show and was rather impressed. Of course the system driving them and the room have an impact but I felt wandering around the show, it was what was being played that had the biggest impact. For example, I stepped into the Kudos 707 room with high hopes and was immediately disappointed. Dull, recessed, no presence, no bass. I knew something must be wrong and I then spied the Yello Touch album and asked if it could be put on the LP12 being used as the source. Oh my goodness. Absolutely bonkers good with as much bass as you could shake a stick at (if a little uncontrolled which I am sure was room related).

So I would always recommend if things are sounding a bit sterile at a show with components you rate, just ask for something familiar to you to be played.

keith waring posted:
Jim Lawson posted:

Any more info on the 120? Specs? Dimensions?

TIA

Can add the tweeters are smaller than the 100 k speakers due the size of the cabinets.

I take it that the 150 is a really a floor standing 100 using the same bass (albeit with 2 bass units) and treble drivers as the 100. The 120 follows the same formula but based on the 50 model ?

I'm surprised the manufacturer has not updated their website - don't they want to sell these things ?

Yes, its a surprise that the website has not yet been updated. Perhaps they are waiting until the full manufacturing run is underway so retailers and potential customers aren’t left frustrated.

Size wise, predictably, the 120's are a smaller footprint than the 150, but not by as much as expected. I heard them singing quite sweetly at the Acoustica Show. Perhaps not at their best as they were being driven via a CD / amp all in one (forget the make and model). Last year Russell had the full fat CDX2, 282 and 250DR at his disposal, so as you can imagine the150’s (and the 50's / 100's for that matter) sounded rather lovely in that system.

james n posted:
keith waring posted:
Jim Lawson posted:

Any more info on the 120? Specs? Dimensions?

TIA

Can add the tweeters are smaller than the 100 k speakers due the size of the cabinets.

I take it that the 150 is a really a floor standing 100 using the same bass (albeit with 2 bass units) and treble drivers as the 100. The 120 follows the same formula but based on the 50 model ?

I'm surprised the manufacturer has not updated their website - don't they want to sell these things ?

The speakers are based round the k 50s same bass units but the tweeter is a smaller unit and slightly downgraded. Russell does not do admin great, but any questions you need he will reply via email, very nice guy. Speaker stands have been out quite a while and still not on the website, so dont hold your breath for info on website. 

Yetizone posted:

Yes, its a surprise that the website has not yet been updated. Perhaps they are waiting until the full manufacturing run is underway so retailers and potential customers aren’t left frustrated.

Size wise, predictably, the 120's are a smaller footprint than the 150, but not by as much as expected. I heard them singing quite sweetly at the Acoustica Show. Perhaps not at their best as they were being driven via a CD / amp all in one (forget the make and model). Last year Russell had the full fat CDX2, 282 and 250DR at his disposal, so as you can imagine the150’s (and the 50's / 100's for that matter) sounded rather lovely in that system.

I was disappointed with them at the Acoustica show, had heard a lot about them but they left me cold and I didn't stay long in the room.  

dayjay posted:
Yetizone posted:

I was disappointed with them at the Acoustica show, had heard a lot about them but they left me cold and I didn't stay long in the room.  

He was playing them with an all-in-one, which I believe was a T + A T1000E, costing about £4k. I thought they sounded OK, but the bass was a bit sluggish and overblown. I have a strong suspicion that they have a lot more to give with better electronics.