S800 speaker?

Press Member

September 23, 2011 3:34 PM

From the PS interview mentioned hereabouts:

"PS: Yes, we already are. The S800 has arrived and we have plans for an S200. "

Have I missed the unveiling of the S800?

View Printer Friendly Format
Administrator

September 23, 2011 4:06 PM

Possibly a slip or typo, or maybe just a teaser.  Having said that, there was an interesting feature on Naim in the May/June issue of HCD where a brief mention was made.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Like Like (0 likes)
PermalinkView Printer Friendly Format

September 23, 2011 5:54 PM

Would be interesting to see a picture of the cabs? even if they dont have any units in them?

Stu

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 7:12 PM

The prototype S800 has been about for several months - that does not mean the Production version will be immenant, let alone the BMR Snaxo for it!

I hope it is a while before it arrives yet, as I do not want to be tempted - although it would be interesting to see my Dealer shift them if they are twice as big and heavy as the S600. 

I'm sure Naim would not release an S800 with BMR Snaxo ready to go in the next few months.

DB.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 8:04 PM

Originally Posted by Darke Bear:

The prototype S800 has been about for several months - that does not mean the Production version will be immenant, let alone the BMR Snaxo for it!

I hope it is a while before it arrives yet, as I do not want to be tempted - although it would be interesting to see my Dealer shift them if they are twice as big and heavy as the S600. 

I'm sure Naim would not release an S800 with BMR Snaxo ready to go in the next few months.

DB.

Gary,

We know the prototype has been about for a while.

We want you to be Tempted is why Paul made a point of talking about them.

The way the Kudos Titans at £13,000 a pop have been selling over the last few months.

Naim need to get them out ASP imo.

Stu

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 8:28 PM

Sorry however I just do not see any of the Ovator range competing with the Titan's - just my humble opinion.  I demoed both 600's and 400's - I now own Titan's.  Forget the eventual comparison based upon sound - I think the 800's will also lose to the Titan's based on price.

How about Naim revisiting the Allae's and SL2 range?

Gregg

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 8:54 PM

An updated NBL-type design could be a bit special. Where are you Mr Ward?

Another Kudos Titan convert here. The Naim BMR thing leaves me cold.

John.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 9:16 PM

Not particularly wishing to offend Titan owners, but since we have begun the usual Ovator-bashing - another view:

Having heard the Titan I view it as an excellent Speaker indeed, which Naim do need to take account of in their price-point selection for the S800 when it is launched - IMHO.

But I still prefer my Active S600 over the Passive Titans - it is a huge difference which may leave some cold but not me! This is unfair on the Titan, as I'd like to hear it perform active too - but the seamlessly clear window into the music presented by my Ovator was not hinted at in the auditions I had of the Titan, but were in the Passive Ovators.

To be fair I needed the Active Ovators to get what I was looking for, and also what I didn't realise was even possible! On Passive Ovator S600 vs Titan - I can very easily understand the Titan being preferred by many, but not all.

It is why I really do feel Naim should have the BMR Snaxo for the S800 ready when the Passive version is launched, as most of the benefits of this design really only become apparent when they are activated IMO.

DB.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by glevethan:

Sorry however I just do not see any of the Ovator range competing with the Titan's - just my humble opinion.  I demoed both 600's and 400's - I now own Titan's.  Forget the eventual comparison based upon sound - I think the 800's will also lose to the Titan's based on price.

Gregg

Maybe you will have to listen before passing judgement.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 10:40 PM

Nah, if Gale401 and Cymbiosis said they are better then they are better!

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by matt podniesinski:

Gregg

Matt,

Sorry to be a pain man.

Gregg got on a plane and came all the way to England from the USA to have a listen.

He now has Titans sounding great in his room..

Stu

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 11:14 PM

Gregg

Whoa there, big fella....ea'sy on the apo'strophe's! 

Like Like (0 likes)

September 23, 2011 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by winkyincanada:

Gregg

Teacher,

Leave those kids alone.

Stu

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 12:21 AM

Gregg

Sorry Matt - the entire range and "concept" simply does not do it for me (and I'm not the only one).  I have listened to them quite a bit - and I will not like them simply because they say Naim.  I think that Allae's and older Naim speakers sound better.

As Stu said - I was fortunate enough to fly over to the "mother land" and hear a range of alternatives which, unfortunately, are not available on our side of the pond.  I will not spend my hard earned cash on something I was not happy with simply because it was "locally" available.  It is a big world out there with many different things (speakers) for many different people.  

Gregg

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by bbb111:

Nah, if Gale401 and Cymbiosis said they are better then they are better!

Ben

You and I shared some lengthy emails - what is that comment supposed to mean?  I could reply in a like matter....just because **** says so ........ however I won't.

Gregg

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by winkyincanada:

I'm so pleased that I'm not the only one who reacts adversely to apostrophe misuse.

I would however side with Gregg on his speaker preferences - not that I'm in the market for Titans or 800s so it doesn't really matter.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 1:15 AM

Gregg

Sorry Matt - the entire range and "concept" simply does not do it for me (and I'm not the only one).  I have listened to them quite a bit - and I will not like them simply because they say Naim.  I think that Allae's and older Naim speakers sound better.

As Stu said - I was fortunate enough to fly over to the "mother land" and hear a range of alternatives which, unfortunately, are not available on our side of the pond.  I will not spend my hard earned cash on something I was not happy with simply because it was "locally" available.  It is a big world out there with many different things (speakers) for many different people.  

Gregg

Sorry Gregg, if the Allaes sound better, you probably need to listen to the Ovators at another place, their set up cannot be right where you heard them.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 2:37 AM

Originally Posted by AllenB:

Gregg

Gregg

Sorry Gregg, if the Allaes sound better, you probably need to listen to the Ovators at another place, their set up cannot be right where you heard them.

Allen,

You have known me for years man.

I wont give the 600 or 400s room space..They just dont do it for me.

Not heard the 600s Active but Gary/DB seems to be the only person on the planet to have a pair with the old and new SNAXO.

Friends that heard his system were blown away and loved HIS 555 with two 555psu's when he was still using the proto SNAXO.

Others were left cold.

Speakers more so Naim speakers are a personal taste/room thing.

Mine  have had to be up against the wall for years.

I could be tempted to try 800's now my little man is coming upto 7 and it would be nice to use the length of my room,

I could ALSO loose half the 40m lengths of NACA5?

They will have to be something very very special to better my SL2s and the DBLs though.

Stu

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 2:37 AM

AllenB: This one puzzles me. The Ovator range was touted as an easy placement speaker design to make them more user friendly in off the wall situations. I consistently read on this Forum how  inproper set-up is the reason for Ovators' less than optimal sound reproduction. Is it really that simple? I auditioned the 600 and frankly it was flat. This was set up by Dave Dever with top notch boxes in a very real world, comfortable room. If it can't impress here , then where?

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 2:46 AM

Originally Posted by varyat:

AllenB: This one puzzles me. The Ovator range was touted as an easy placement speaker design to make them more user friendly in off the wall situations. I consistently read on this Forum how  inproper set-up is the reason for Ovators' less than optimal sound reproduction. Is it really that simple? I auditioned the 600 and frankly it was flat. This was set up by Dave Dever with top notch boxes in a very real world, comfortable room. If it can't impress here , then where?

That speaks volumes.

Try some Rega speakers,

Like Like (0 likes)
Trade Member

September 24, 2011 2:56 AM

Originally Posted by varyat:

I'd be curious to hear where you heard these, actually–neither the black nor the rosewood pairs I brought to Chicago a couple years ago were broken in, by any stretch of the imagination. About the only pair I've had access to that had any suitable number of hours on 'em was a cherry pair that ended up in Dallas at SoundOrg headquarters....

Last edited by DavidDever September 24, 2011 3:02 AM

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 3:39 AM

Stu

Varyat (Mark) has joined my cult on the dark side  - he owns a pair of Titan's (as does JN).

I concur 100% with what Mark said - and I have been saying it for some time.  When the Ovator range came out part of the design brief was to eliminate the issues involved with setup (no gasket sealing etc.) and to make them room and setup friendly.  That was one of the reasons I never moved from Allaes to SL2's.  Several very smart people told me they did not work in all rooms  - mine being one of them.

All of the comments on this forum have spoke about moving 600's 5 mm to the right and 10mm to the left etc. etc..  Come on....that is not user friendly setup (which I am looking for).  When the Titan's arrived Mark and I simply plonked them down in the room without any attention to setup (as we knew that someone would be coming over later in the summer to set them up).  They just played glorious music.  Proper setup only enhanced their performance even more. 

Dave

The 600's I heard had several hundred hours on them - were put away by the dealer for the summer (as they were not enamoured  by them) and then taken out again for another several hundred hours.  They were sufficiently broken in.  I am sure the pair Mark heard were also broken in.

The 400's I heard were brought over and set up by you.  They were the demo pair used at the Rocky Mountain show and were brought around to the dealers.  If they were not broken in then a disservice was done to the speaker by using them in a show environment in Colorado and by bringing them around to the dealers.

I would think it would be in a manufacturers interest to present a fully "baked" product to the public.  People make purchasing decisions based on demonstration of the "final" product brought to the dealer.  I once tried Zu Audio speakers.  While not my cup of tea they (as manufacturers) did something very clever.  Their business model was that of direct sales to the end user.  As such they needed to ensure their speakers had a good chance of remaining with the purchaser.  Each speaker leaving the factory departed with several hundred hours already cooked in.  Seems like a smart thing to do.

Gregg

PS  As always - speakers are the component most subject to personal taste.  I am happy that several forum members are thrilled with their Ovators.  I am happy that I, and other forum members, are thrilled with our Titans.  In the end that is the only thing which matters

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 3:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gale 401:

I could ALSO loose half the 40m lengths of NACA5?

Stu

That's enough to feed an army!  Glad your not using any of that fancy Chord cable 

Gregg

Like Like (0 likes)
Trade Member

September 24, 2011 4:19 AM

The S-400s were well-broken in, as I recall.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 4:26 AM

Gregg, No worries, just fooling around!! I did think you passed on judgement too quickly on a speaker you've never heard (or issued -- the S800) so I had to counter with something... Ben

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 4:31 AM

And no, I will also never get the S400 or S600. They are excellent in many ways but I will wait for a nice pair of SL2s to come to my dealer.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 4:33 AM

This forum has changed a lot in the past few years. I love Naim but it is time to quit the forum. So long.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 5:21 AM

Dave: They were the cherry pair . Heard them at NextLevel Audio  open house party , must have been two years now. Set up in the front room with HDX/555, 552/145's I believe.The big Dynaudio's were in the back room off of the kitchen. It was good meeting you and your staff, just did not care for the Ovators.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 11:55 AM

...Not heard the 600s Active but Gary/DB seems to be the only person on the planet to have a pair with the old and new SNAXO.

Friends that heard his system were blown away and loved HIS 555 with two 555psu's when he was still using the proto SNAXO.

Others were left cold.

The Ovators I have heard can sound flat. I can make mine go flat fairly easy too - it is poor set-up.

My comments were in relation to the title of the thread - about the S800. Nobody has yet ever heard it, yet there are loads of negative opinions about what they have not yet heard - based on a poor experience with the other speakers in the Ovator range to date.

The Titan probably deserves its own thread to enthuse over it - not to try to bash a product that does not even exist yet and nobody has heard?

I will keep and open mind and see if I like them - or not. Perhaps this is a strange approach?

I don't want to be negative on the Titan; they are an excellent speaker with a traditional speaker 'sound' from what I have heard. The Ovator range offers a refreshing alternative to this IMO - but is not 'plonk and play'.

DB.

Like Like (0 likes)
Trade Member

September 24, 2011 12:38 PM

Mark, that pair had very little hours on it, and, at the time, had the original prototype BMRs in it, original XO and would be later re-worked to current spec. We had very little experience with the speaker as we had been busy setting up a new distribution company and not a lot of time (or dem space) on our hands, Feb 2010....

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 5:17 PM

Gregg

Matt,

Sorry to be a pain man.

Gregg got on a plane and came all the way to England from the USA to have a listen.

He now has Titans sounding great in his room..

Stu

Not my point. i am not commenting on the Titans. Most people who have had the opportunity to listen to them have been impressed. The S800s are as of now an unknown quantity and to pass judgment on them seems premature.

Cheers

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 6:01 PM

Matt

Maybe I was misunderstood.  Not passing judgement on a, as of yet, non existent speaker...that is impossible to do (although some on this forum have tried ).

Judgement was being passed on the Ovator "range" of speakers which all share similar traits, concepts and design philosophy ie BMR etc.

Gregg

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 7:44 PM

I heard the Titans again today at the Whittlebury show on the end of one of Peters nicely set up Linn decks, I still like them and always will. They are a very capable pair of speakers.

As for the Ovator S800's lets just wait and see shall we, no one has heard them yet and I will keep an open mind on them. I will hear them when they are released and will pass judgement then.

I also heard a very nice pair of Focals today, I wish I had the room and the £65k to secure a pair.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 8:10 PM

Matt

Maybe I was misunderstood.  Not passing judgement on a, as of yet, non existent speaker...that is impossible to do (although some on this forum have tried ).

Judgement was being passed on the Ovator "range" of speakers which all share similar traits, concepts and design philosophy ie BMR etc.

Gregg

I will wait and see (or is that listen). Never heard the S600s and I from what I understand it was very difficult to get them to perform at their best. Not a lot of love for them from most people who heard them though the demo pair were an early model and perhaps predated the fixes for the final production run. i have only heard the S400s for about 30 minutes and thought that Naim might be onto something there. Not enough to trade in my Allaes, but promising nonetheless. Much as yourself, I am not in the market for speakers at present in any case. Cranking some Gov't Mule at present and digging what I have.  Enjoy the Titans.

Matt

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 8:22 PM

from what I understand it was very difficult to get them to perform at their best. Not a lot of love for them from most people who heard them though the demo pair were an early model and perhaps predated the fixes for the final production run

Matt

Matt

FYI - I believe the pair are from a regular production run.

Best

Gregg

listening to Sinead O'Connor "Throw Down Your Arms" - covers of classic Reggae backed by Sly & Robbie et al.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 24, 2011 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Polarbear: 

I also heard a very nice pair of Focals today, I wish I had the room and the £65k to secure a pair.

I thought they were a bit tame to be honest. Nice and sweet but £63k, no way.

Anyway, Neat XL10's now out, so maybe they could make a return Polarbear's residence.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 25, 2011 6:56 PM

It was my understanding with the Ovators that the design brief included the requirement that 90% of the performance should be obtainable with plonk and play, which would be enough for most people and enable dealers to sell them without hours of fiddling about. The remaining 10% could be extracted by detailed setup by those with the will and the patience. Reading the comments over the time since release, it does not seem that this has been achieved, with users reporting large differences in sound from very fine adjustments. If anything they seem to be more sensitive than the likes of SL2s. Maybe it's the BMR.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 25, 2011 7:48 PM

I agree with you Lord Ems. However I'm prepared to believe that our perception of the Ovator models is skewed by what we read here, written by forumites, by definition almost certainly Naim's most committed and fastidious customers. I wouldn't mind betting that there are probably plenty of happy Ovator owners out there whom we never hear from, whose experience of them has been pretty much plug n play.

Chris

Like Like (0 likes)

September 25, 2011 9:47 PM

Originally Posted by Christopher_M:

I agree with you Lord Ems. However I'm prepared to believe that our perception of the Ovator models is skewed by what we read here, written by forumites, by definition almost certainly Naim's most committed and fastidious customers. I wouldn't mind betting that there are probably plenty of happy Ovator owners out there whom we never hear from, whose experience of them has been pretty much plug n play.

Chris

Skewed by what we have heard might be a better way to put it.

I know one 400 owner that loved them until he got a pair of SL2s for his office.

He is now Re- thinking HIS MAIN SYSTEM?????????

Stu

Like Like (0 likes)

September 25, 2011 11:11 PM

??? Indeed - SL2 is good, but not that good!

Now I duck!!

DB

Like Like (0 likes)

ClosedAdditional replies and votes are not permitted on this topic.