Sgt Pepper 2017 Remastered CD

Used MakeMKV to strip the protection off the Blu-Ray disc and create a backup, then used DVD Audio Extractor to rip the PCM 24/96 stuff from the backup files. It accesses a database to get the track listing info, so all I needed was a bit of dbPoweramp titivation. 

Thanks for the roadmap Gary. What a shame that we have to go through all that and pay £100+,for the privilege of hearing a 24bit version. Would you have bought it for that alone at that price, and if not, what would you have been prepared to pay for a 24 bit version download from HDTRACKS or qobuz?

Good and complex question! It wasn't all that much faff as I already had the tools to hand (all those Steven Wilson remixes!), and I was drawn to the book, the videos and the lenticular cover *cough*. Even so, it took some cajoling from my adorable wife to finally go for the box.

If Qobuz had had it? Hmmm. I'm fully committed to streaming Upnp now, but I admit is was drawn to the physicality of the thing, just as I was the Pink Floyd box.

Free speech, but expensive music. Just how many versions does one need? As a non Beatle fan I do have my 2 copies vinyl and CD. That's enough. As a RUSH fan I won't/don't buy these immersion type albums only the record company are going to gain with these.

Why the remix? Love was done for a separate project, I'll go with that, but to fiddle with what is called the" greatest album of all time" and the "album that changed all others following", how do you improve on supposed perfection? 

Gary Shaw posted:

Good and complex question! It wasn't all that much faff as I already had the tools to hand (all those Steven Wilson remixes!), and I was drawn to the book, the videos and the lenticular cover *cough*. Even so, it took some cajoling from my adorable wife to finally go for the box.

If Qobuz had had it? Hmmm. I'm fully committed to streaming Upnp now, but I admit is was drawn to the physicality of the thing, just as I was the Pink Floyd box.

I meant a Qobuz download, which has some of the physical characteristics, insofar as you can copy it, bring it with you to places where wifi is not available, etc. Also, Qobuz 24 bit streaming is not yet available, and may or may not be possible depending on where you live.

BigH47 posted:

Why the remix? Love was done for a separate project, I'll go with that, but to fiddle with what is called the" greatest album of all time" and the "album that changed all others following", how do you improve on supposed perfection? 

The MUSIC was among the greatest of all time. The original stereo mix, not so much.

I find the hard right/left pan of the original Beatles stereo mixes to be very annoying. My hope is that this project corrects that, and that more will be done in the future...as long as they are done well.

DrMark posted:

I find the hard right/left pan of the original Beatles stereo mixes to be very annoying. My hope is that this project corrects that, and that more will be done in the future...as long as they are done well.

The various mono versions are great enough for true intent of 'the mix' the artists intended. Still, I find they don't have the same room-filling sonic satiation as stereo versions. Better centered stereo versions killing the excessive panning would be welcome in my view, not to say I'd buy them. I have too many versions/formats of Beatles' stuff already.

Got to hand it to them though, just when you thought the Beatles' marketers couldn't possible find another niche format, they've gone ahead and done so - revised stereo. Time will tell how the new Pepper sells although I suspect they're already well-into a 50th Anniversary White Album release.

Received my CD copy 2 days ago, and listened to the main album yesterday. Overall I give it a thumbs up - no more terrible stereo separation. It does join the loudness wars a bit, and they could have given it some more dynamic range, but I think this will be my go-to version henceforth, although I may try some A-B with the mono version this weekend if I can find the time.