Speaker choice/match for 5si series.

Stephen Tate posted:

Do you know  what guys, oh the irony!!

Over the easter holiday I have decided to re-strip my NAC A5 cables and solder on some new Naim plugs both ends on both cables. After that I re-tapped the loudspeaker sockets on my Credos with a decent Metcal solder iron and some 60/40 tin/lead alloy. Well, one could of knocked me over with a feather, the speakers have sprung back to life!!!! The Credos I have always known and loved are now back singing better than ever!!!

The system was sounding off for weeks and I just put it down to the age of  the crossovers because no matter what tweaking I did, nothing changed. It has now turned out that I could not have been more wrong.

I can't believe it!!!!

I had a similar experience a year ago. My NAC A5 had been solder terminated by a dealer many years ago. I started to get an intermittent connection  and replaced the plugs myself. I don't know how the cables had worked for so long, the soldering was a gruesome bodge job. Needless to say, things improved immensely. I am a firm believer that speaker cables need to be removed and inserted occasionally. Once the mating surfaces are no longer bright and shiny then your precious signal is fighting through oxidation 

Christopher_M posted:

If you pull them out a bit from the back wall they might be a little less sluggish, always assuming that cloudy mids and slow bass is where you are critical of them. You know, 6 " or so.

C.

Hi Chris,

I have them out about 12'' from the rear and well clear from any side walls.  I have changed the bananas on the speaker end of cable for gold plated ones.

I am enjoying their presentation in other ways to the credos but I just can't get on with the small man trying to be big man in the Bass department. I'm finding the bass hollow and boxy with a mid bass hump, in this department they're not a patch on the Credos.

It's only my second day in with them and I have a bit more faffing around to do, so they may get better. I can't fault the top end 'if' a little rounded.

Thanks.

Gavin B posted:

Can't Naim service the crossovers for your Credos? (Sorry for being a bit late on this!)

Hi gavin,

I have enquired about this through my dealer but I was told no they can't be serviced or replaced, at least not original anyway.

If I could get NEW crossovers for the credos I would buy them and cancel my NEW speaker journey at an instant.

Stephen Tate posted:
I am enjoying [the Motive SX2's] presentation in other ways to the credos but I just can't get on with the small man trying to be big man in the Bass department. I'm finding the bass hollow and boxy with a mid bass hump, in this department they're not a patch on the Credos.

The lack of a mid-bass hump rings true with the Naim speakers I've owned too. (nSats, IBLs, SBLs).

C.

Stephen Tate posted:
Gavin B posted:

Can't Naim service the crossovers for your Credos? (Sorry for being a bit late on this!)

Hi gavin,

I have enquired about this through my dealer but I was told no they can't be serviced or replaced, at least not original anyway.

If I could get NEW crossovers for the credos I would buy them and cancel my NEW speaker journey at an instant.

Stephen, it might be worth an email or call direct to Naim to check. Within the last year I swapped a pair of Credos for Allaes, and the Allaes had been serviced (or at least checked over) fairly recently I seem to remember.

james n posted:
Stephen Tate posted:

Worth talking to Reference Fidelity Components who may be able to refurb the crossover to new spec for you.  

This is handy to know James, I may look into this, thanks.

Stephen Tate posted:
Gavin B posted:

Hi gavin,

You could get a NEW SNAXO and go active with the Credos ...

Thanks all.

Third day in and things do seem to be improving (at last) with the Neat SX2.

I have changed the Naim speaker plugs for good quality gold plated ones with heat shrink. At first this seemed a mistake because the sound went dull and bloated. I then decided to power down the system, do the wiggle thing with the cables, and then power back up again. The system cleared it's throat!!

I then played around with their position somewhat and i am still trying to nail the bass/mid-bass problems i was having but they're getting better and the bass is improving as well as in over areas too.

The foot is starting to tap, so to speak.

The SX2s obviously do not have the slam or the speed of the Credos but i am starting warm to their presentation.. I'm certainly finding the SX2s more forgiving than the Credos and i do seem to be turning the volume up more, is this a good thing?

My Credos are nearly twenty years old now and i guess they're in need of an overhaul, i shall see about sorting the crossovers. In the mean time.. i have three more days with the Neats and things are already sounding more positive, hopefully they will get even better over the weekend.

Happy listening folks

The only things in crossovers that are likely to deteriorate significantly are electrolytic capacitors (the non-polarised types).

If you have plastic film capacitors they're unlikely to change unless they've been badly abused (thermally, physically, chemically or electrically), and this applies to resistors and inductors also.

Thanks Huge.

My Credos have been in running active mode for most of their working lifetime and the passive crossovers were just stored away over many years at that time. I've only been using them (passive) for the last three years and at very low volume levels. AFAIK my passive Credo crossovers have never been abused and both the speakers sound the same but I can hear that they are not what they really were (from memory) in terms of effortless sound.

I'm starting to become very impressed by the Neat SX2s, they really are musical and fun, in fact I might go with them!

The Nait 5si drives the SX2s effortlessly with plenty of power and with infectious enthusiasm to boot, in fact that's how i'm going to describe these speakers on the end of the 5si - infectious. I am finding the Neats sound amazing at low level with any music genre and this is great for me as I do a lot of late night listening too.

Yes there is still a slight upper mid-bass ringing?  maybe my concrete floor and ceiling is not helping here? it is only 'slight' though.

One thing I know is for certain and that is i'm really enjoying the music more than ever and I have been going through all my usic collection again and again so the SX2s must be doing something right that's for sure!

Thanks all

Stephen Tate posted:

One thing I know is for certain and that is i'm really enjoying the music more than ever and I have been going through all my usic collection again and again so the SX2s must be doing something right that's for sure

That's a good sign. Hope you enjoy the rest of your audition Stephen 

James

Thanks James.

It's a funny old game because when I first got going a few days ago I really did have my doubts and I was already very eager to move on to another speaker, even plug the Credos back in and not bother!

A painful divorce coming on perhaps?

It's also funny how things have turned around after a few days, I wasn't really expecting such a transformation, not like this anyway. Maybe the speakers (SX2) needed running in a bit more and everything stabilizing, mucking about with position I don't know but since yesterday the Naim & Neat magic have certainly cast their spell on me.  I was and still am hoping to have a short speaker journey as i'm not one for changing speakers or even demoing for that matter, this is my first for many years and I think it's already job done, signed and sealed. I know what I like pretty quickly. I also know that it would be foolish of me to just instantly discount trying any other speakers at this point such as the Kudos X2 ect.. The thing is, everything is sounding so balanced to me at this time that it's almost like these speakers were made for this system and l know how hard it can be to get 'any' system singing regardless of price or stature. Everything is just feeling so right and organic, not too big not too small and regardless of music genre, just plain fun and involving.

There you go, I think i have just talked myself into buying a pair of Neat Motive SX2s.

Happy listening!

Thanks Chris.

Yes, it all feels very right with my 5si series into Motive SX2s, I am definitely going with my heart on this one.  When the music has one's feet tapping with a huge grin on their face surely it's time to pull the trigger even though my speaker journey has not been at all adventurous !!

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Likes (0)