Supernait and 250DR

dayjay posted:

I'm seriously considering buying a Harley Davidson next year, I really really don't want to hear about how good a 250dr sounds connected to a SN2 because I really can't afford both!

Harley ? Just go straight for the KTM . Thats where you'll end up . Back to HiFi , the 250 DR is that good !

Patu , 

We have had quite similar set ups recently I think  , i recall you had PMC 23s ? The addition of a 250DR doesn't necessarily increase the bass but if its there it will show it , it will show everything ! Even though the SN2 and 250DR have similar power figures the 250DR feels in total control and dominance of the speakers  , I have just put in place some ATC 19s this evening ..... Very impressive !

dayjay posted:

I'm seriously considering buying a Harley Davidson next year, I really really don't want to hear about how good a 250dr sounds connected to a SN2 because I really can't afford both!

That is like saying I'll buy King Prawns but then I won't be able to afford beef. The 250DR is wonderful, but so is a Harley. Never had a Harley but have owned a few bikes in my time and I love my 250DR.

I'm not helping, am I?

No quarter posted:

For me,going back to the SN 2/high cap dr/and yes Hugo sounded like a good high fi stereo playing music,with the 272/250 dr it sound like a live band playing in my room...and I did not want them to leave��

Horses for courses, but my recent home demo of the 282-250-2DR, didn't warrant the 8000.00 thousand dollar difference to these ears, the SN2 was that good.

There definitely was a difference in the presentation, the 250-2DR system sounding more refined, and a little more laid back, warmer, but the Naim house sound was definitely present with both systems. The difference was not as big as I had expected it to be, and this opinion coming from a 250-2 non DR version owner not so long ago.

No quarter posted:

After using the N272/250 dr for a week earlier in the year,going back to the SN2/high cap dr was a pretty big let down for me,everything seemed rather 2 dimensional and lacking life,this prompted me to go for the 272250dr and I am very happy now... much better to my ears.

Interesting, what source did you use with the SN2 setup when comparing to 272/250DR? My biggest worry about 272/250DR combo is that 272 wouldn't probably be on a level of Naim DAC (as a source) which I use now. If NDX wasn't then it's difficult to believe that 272 would be.

pete T15 posted:

Patu , 

We have had quite similar set ups recently I think  , i recall you had PMC 23s ? The addition of a 250DR doesn't necessarily increase the bass but if its there it will show it , it will show everything ! Even though the SN2 and 250DR have similar power figures the 250DR feels in total control and dominance of the speakers  , I have just put in place some ATC 19s this evening ..... Very impressive !

Yes I did own 20.23 but I've used ATC SCM40v2 for over a year now. With 20.23, more bass would only be a good thing. I'm sure ATC19 is an impressive speaker also! Haven't heard one though.

Hi Patu,my source was JRiver on my laptop feeding my Unitiqute 2,using the coaxial digital out from the Qute,to my Chord Hugo...rca outs from the Hugo to rca analog ins on the SN2.All other inputs and outputs were turned off the Qute and Sn2,I also had a high cap dr on the Sn2.

pete T15 posted:

Patu , 

I am glad you are enjoying the 19s. I own a pair of the Mk2s. You might be interested to hear I have just been evaluating the Russell K 100s.. quite different sounding the ATC 19s.. the mids sound more dominant than the ATCs, they go deeper by quite a margin, and are more resolving.. on my 252DR / Hugo based system you hear noticably  more nuance and detail than with the ATCs... I am just not entirely sure the balance of the Russel Ks is right for me. I will also be listening to the PMC 25 series, perhaps 25.21 and 25.23.. the smaller driver PMCs in the new 25 range seem be seen favourably with a less forward presentation and quite an advancement on the earlier 20 series which were not my cup of tea.

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
pete T15 posted:

Patu , 

I am glad you are enjoying the 19s. I own a pair of the Mk2s. You might be interested to hear I have just been evaluating the Russell K 100s.. quite different sounding the ATC 19s.. the mids sound more dominant than the ATCs, they go deeper by quite a margin, and are more resolving.. on my 252DR / Hugo based system you hear noticably  more nuance and detail than with the ATCs... I am just not entirely sure the balance of the Russel Ks is right for me. I will also be listening to the PMC 25 series, perhaps 25.21 and 25.23.. the smaller driver PMCs in the new 25 range seem be seen favourably with a less forward presentation and quite an advancement on the earlier 20 series which were not my cup of tea.

I was going to say I don't think you'll like the twenty series , very different to these ATCs.  I'm just heading to Berlin for the weekend so won't have chance for a proper listen until next week but very positive so far , the speed and clarity the first things of notice . 

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
pete T15 posted:

Patu , 

Interesting comments about the Russel K 100's. This is the first time I hear about this speaker. 

Please report about your findings about 25.23. It's an interesting model and coming from 20.23, it would be nice to know exactly how much they improved. 20.23 was demolished by SCM40v2 so the improvement should be huge. 

Well after a short absence and thanks to the worlds greatest father in law, the 250DR is back and here to stay. Another significant step up the ladder. Just as experienced on the 250 as pre into 250DR thread, the improvement in low volume listening is profound. One of the many great things the 250 provides.  Looking forward to having a good listen over the Christmas break. 

wenger2015 posted:

Dayjay, They are both in their own right, excellent pieces of engineering.....  your just going to have to buy both 

Harley's are dreadful pieces of incompetent engineering. 

And I own a vrod night rod special and love it

Patu posted:

No quarter posted:

After using the N272/250 dr for a week earlier in the year,going back to the SN2/high cap dr was a pretty big let down for me,everything seemed rather 2 dimensional and lacking life,this prompted me to go for the 272250dr and I am very happy now... much better to my ears.

Interesting, what source did you use with the SN2 setup when comparing to 272/250DR? My biggest worry about 272/250DR combo is that 272 wouldn't probably be on a level of Naim DAC (as a source) which I use now. If NDX wasn't then it's difficult to believe that 272 would be.

Obviously nowhere near any Naim streamer, let alone a Naim dac which would really improve any of them.

Patu posted:
pete T15 posted:

Patu , 

Yes I did own 20.23 but I've used ATC SCM40v2 for over a year now. With 20.23, more bass would only be a good thing. I'm sure ATC19 is an impressive speaker also! Haven't heard one though.

Patu, You may find my experience informative.  I had the SCM 7s on the end of a 150 for the better part of a year.  It was a good sounding combo, but it always felt like the 7s were asking for more.  Last week I replaced the 150 with an olive 250 and they finally came alive.  It got me thinking - should I eventually upgrade to the 40s?  I asked one of my good friends, who has a pair of 40s, if he thought the 250 was up to the task and he said no.  Not enough power.  If he was right, that would seem to imply a Supernait alone would not do the truck, but I'm curious - how has your experience been?

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
pete T15 posted:

Patu , 

Simon, I have a pair of 7s.  I think they're incredible for the money, and also on an absolute basis.  I saw Jon's comment elsewhere to the effect that the 19s were stunning.  In thinking about future upgrade paths, I wonder how much of a step up they are from the 7s.  Did you have a chance to compare the 19s against any of their other speakers?  Do you ever feel like your 250 is not enough for them?

Antonio1 posted:
Patu posted:

No quarter posted:

Obviously nowhere near any Naim streamer, let alone a Naim dac which would really improve any of them.

N272 is "obviously" nowhere near an ND5XS? NDX? Source of info?

jon honeyball posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Dayjay, They are both in their own right, excellent pieces of engineering.....  your just going to have to buy both 

Harley's are dreadful pieces of incompetent engineering. 

And I own a vrod night rod special and love it

Debatable to say the least...

Finkfan posted:

Well after a short absence and thanks to the worlds greatest father in law, the 250DR is back and here to stay. Another significant step up the ladder. Just as experienced on the 250 as pre into 250DR thread, the improvement in low volume listening is profound. One of the many great things the 250 provides.  Looking forward to having a good listen over the Christmas break. 

Congratulations on the 250dr, as you say a significant step up, I think your going to be very happy with the new box, you must give us your impressions as the new box beds itself in......happy days

Bart posted:
Antonio1 posted:
Patu posted:

No quarter posted:

N272 is "obviously" nowhere near an ND5XS? NDX? Source of info?

Based on what I read which is also consistent with my experiences in demoing the 272, the DAC in the 272 appears to be the weak link in the package - a downgrade from the nDac and to my ears, from the NDX as well. This shouldn't be a surprise though, given the price differences. The 272, as a package, is still good value for money. 

Here is Whathifi had to say about 272's various internal components, which I thought was pretty spot on based on my limited experiences listening to the 272 at dealer's. 

"We would happily put the Naim’s preamp section up against any stand-alone rival in the £1000 to £1500 price range without fear. The DAC section would be one of the better performers below the grand mark."

ngarritson posted:
Patu posted:
pete T15 posted:

Patu , 

Patu, You may find my experience informative.  I had the SCM 7s on the end of a 150 for the better part of a year.  It was a good sounding combo, but it always felt like the 7s were asking for more.  Last week I replaced the 150 with an olive 250 and they finally came alive.  It got me thinking - should I eventually upgrade to the 40s?  I asked one of my good friends, who has a pair of 40s, if he thought the 250 was up to the task and he said no.  Not enough power.  If he was right, that would seem to imply a Supernait alone would not do the truck, but I'm curious - how has your experience been?

Thanks for the input. Indeed, SN2 alone is too weak to drive 40's properly but with HCDR things change quite a bit. I'm sure 250DR would improve things but SN2 with HCDR is surprisingly powerful combo.