August 4, 2012 7:34 PM

Originally Posted by FangfossFlyer:

and now that I can post a picture......upstream:

Very very nice indeed - and I thought that I didn't like all black Fraim 

Like Like (0 likes)

August 7, 2012 9:36 AM

Originally Posted by james n:
Originally Posted by rjstaines:

Thought I would see if I can upload pics...

First - Pink Floyd Album Covers  (and some Naim stuff - spot the NDS, btw).  I like this...

and the whole effect...

NDS* is right between the new 552 and the HDX.

* I like this even more than the Floyd album covers, I have to admit !

Very nice Roger. I think your dealer may have been trying to sell me your old NDX.

James

Hi James, my dealer has been offering some good exchange deals for NDX to NDS trade-ups, so it'll probably be one of these he's offering; some of the NDX's he's taking will only be a few months old - some great bargains on offer.  Mine has actually gone to my brother in law on loan for a while ! 

Like Like (0 likes)

August 7, 2012 9:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Dolan:
Originally Posted by FangfossFlyer:

and now that I can post a picture......upstream:

Very very nice indeed - and I thought that I didn't like all black Fraim 

I'd thought about all black, Chris, but went for the wood in the end. Unfortunately the new 'cherry' is quite a different colour to the old cherry, and doesn't match in with my other furniture.  Maybe black would have been the better choice for me.

Oh well "C'est la vie" as they often say in Salisbury.

Like Like (0 likes)

August 8, 2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by CHP:

I kept my NAT O5XS with PL,

Christophe

Apertura no more Christophe ? How come ?

Are these Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M ? Funny, while I was listening to Altras at a dealer's years ago, we also listened to a pair of Guarneri Memento. The most luscious midrange I ever heard. I wasn't sure they could rock though, but for the short while I heard them, what a wonderful sound they made !

Are they a good match with the D ?

Maurice

Like Like (0 likes)

August 8, 2012 7:36 PM

Hi Maurice, the Guarneri Memento is an excellent match with my old 32.5/hicap2/135s and now even better with the 52/135s!

Best regards, FT

Like Like (0 likes)
CHP CHP is offline. Click for Member Snapshot.

August 8, 2012 9:31 PM

Originally Posted by m0omo0:

I kept my NAT O5XS with PL,

Christophe

Apertura no more Christophe ? How come ?

Are these Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M ? Funny, while I was listening to Altras at a dealer's years ago, we also listened to a pair of Guarneri Memento. The most luscious midrange I ever heard. I wasn't sure they could rock though, but for the short while I heard them, what a wonderful sound they made !

Are they a good match with the D ?

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

I feel there are better details and bass control with the SF Auditor M when compared to the Altra.

The Dev is also brillant with SF speakers 

I would also like to taste the Mementos...

Christophe

Like Like (0 likes)

August 10, 2012 8:21 AM

I feel there are better details and bass control with the SF Auditor M when compared to the Altra.

Really ? Ok then. Glad you found a great combination that works for you. Looks very neat indeed.

ATB

Maurice

Like Like (0 likes)

August 10, 2012 9:45 AM

Originally Posted by Foot tapper:

Hi Maurice, the Guarneri Memento is an excellent match with my old 32.5/hicap2/135s and now even better with the 52/135s!

Best regards, FT

Thank you FT, nice to know they work fine with Olive (I heard them in the context of a non-Naim system, EMMlabs CD player and Unison Research tube amp if memory serves me).

My speakers are well sorted for the time being and the foreseeable future. It's the other end that languishes waiting for a drastic improvement !

But I find that Sonus Fabers are so beautifully crafted that I always look at them with envy.

ATB

Maurice

Like Like (0 likes)

August 18, 2012 2:47 PM

Cool update for 2012, my Monitor Audio RX6 were replaced by a pair of Neat Motive 2 :

Rest of system :

Rega P3-24 / Naim CD 3.5 / Apple Airport Express > Naim Nait 3

Simple, but sounds really good !

Like Like (0 likes)

August 18, 2012 3:16 PM

I really enjoyed the Nait 3 back in the day - I would love to get one (a 3R specifically) for a second system amp, but they are not too often seen on the SH market - very nice little system you have there!

Like Like (0 likes)

August 18, 2012 3:31 PM

Originally Posted by DrMark:

I really enjoyed the Nait 3 back in the day - I would love to get one (a 3R specifically) for a second system amp, but they are not too often seen on the SH market - very nice little system you have there!

Ditto the CD3.5. I had one for years, bought new in 1998(?) and traded in with its FlatCap in January 2012 still in perfect order. 

Like Like (0 likes)

August 18, 2012 3:36 PM

You could make a really nice sleek little system with the 3.5, a 3(R), and the green FC - and it would really sound great with a wide variety of speaker choices.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 4, 2012 6:41 PM

Well, one week since a series of changes to the system and I've finally got round to taking some pictures.  The DAC/XPS2 has been replaced with NDS/555PS-DR and I've also changed my 17 year old olive Supercap with a new DR one.

Things are settling in nicely after a week of warming up and I am, as always with these things, enjoying the journey whilst certainly expecting more to come.

However, the sound is far more sophisticated than the previous set up already and, without getting caught up in hi-fi terminology, simply gives more of everything in a more realistic way.

And another one showing a wider view.

Cheers

Ian

Like Like (0 likes)

September 4, 2012 8:58 PM

Nice changes Ian.

Good call on the cheaper FraimLite shelves to protect the kit from the lamp and photo. 

John

Like Like (0 likes)

September 4, 2012 9:14 PM

Ian,

congrats on your new bits.

I would put the lamp and photo some where else and move a couple of boxes up and down if it was my set up.

Enjoy man.

Stu.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 4, 2012 9:41 PM

The slight drawback with Fraim is that it looks odd with empty shelves on top. Whereas humble Isoblue looks OK.

Sample picture

Like Like (0 likes)

September 4, 2012 11:45 PM

Yes, but you have the advantage of a bigger gap between components when you use the top shelf.

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth:

The slight drawback with Fraim is that it looks odd with empty shelves on top. Whereas humble Isoblue looks OK.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 5, 2012 12:15 PM

Sample picture

Stupid question maybe but couldn't your boxes all fit on one stack of Isoblue even if it does need to be one shelf higher?

Like Like (0 likes)

September 5, 2012 12:29 PM

It's not a stupid question at all; all the boxes will fit on a single rack if it has an extra shelf. Indeed, I used it like that for a while. But I'm a great believer in spiliiting brawn and brain, and for getting space above and below the preamp. There was a substantial improvement in the sound, prticularly in terms of openness, by arranging it as I have now, and for a relatively modest sum too. Added to that, I wanted to put a lamp on the stand to make it easier to read when sitting on the sofa next to the rack.  

Like Like (0 likes)

September 5, 2012 12:37 PM

Lord E - what's that thingy on the floor?  (Just curious.)

PS - Nice Olive kit there.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 5, 2012 12:57 PM

looks like a door stop

Like Like (0 likes)

September 5, 2012 1:01 PM

Ian F, it’s good to see Allaes on the end of a very good system.

I use Allaes on my humble 152/155/Hi-Cap system sound great but I was just wondering how far these speakers will go in terms of component upgrades before you decide to change.

Cheers

Sean

Like Like (0 likes)

September 5, 2012 2:56 PM

Originally Posted by SeanWoods:

Ian F, it’s good to see Allaes on the end of a very good system.

I use Allaes on my humble 152/155/Hi-Cap system sound great but I was just wondering how far these speakers will go in terms of component upgrades before you decide to change.

Cheers

Sean

It cracks me up when people say they have a 'humble' system of XXX/XXX/XX. None of these systems are humble in real terms. They're still fantastic sounding bits of kit. 

Like Like (0 likes)

September 5, 2012 3:00 PM

It's not a stupid question at all; all the boxes will fit on a single rack if it has an extra shelf. Indeed, I used it like that for a while. But I'm a great believer in spiliiting brawn and brain, and for getting space above and below the preamp. There was a substantial improvement in the sound, prticularly in terms of openness, by arranging it as I have now, and for a relatively modest sum too. Added to that, I wanted to put a lamp on the stand to make it easier to read when sitting on the sofa next to the rack.  

Ah, i see now. Isoblue has more of furniture look to it than Fraim and looks fine with vases or ornaments on a top empty shelf. 

The Faimlite is halfway there but it could be worth Naim doing a shelf without the centre cut out for those than want to to something similar?

Just saying like...

Like Like (0 likes)

September 5, 2012 6:26 PM

Sean,

As has already been mentioned, I think describing your system as 'humble' does it a bit of an injustice.   It is still of a quality well in excess of that which most folk will experience and we all have to start somewhere; I started 20 years ago with a Nait 2, for example.

As for Allaes, they are very revealing of downstream upgrades.  Immediately after installation, Tony, my dealer and I were listening to a few tracks; I was really chuffed when he told me it was the best he had ever heard Allaes sound.  They can also be activated should you wish to do so.

This is actually my second pair.  I went away from them for a few years, trying a number of other, occasionally, very expensive models; none of them had that openness that makes the Allaes so beguiling.  I haven't tried SL2s, which I know a lot of people really like, especially when active.  Maybe something to look into in the future.  I do use my Allaes with an nSub though, just to fill in the very bottom end.

So, if I were you, I would hang on to them for some time yet.

Cheers

Ian

Like Like (0 likes)

September 5, 2012 10:52 PM

Ian

I have owned Naim equipment for the past 14 years, started out dare I say it “Humble Nait3” but built up to a system 7 years ago to an 82/250/2xHi-Cap/CDS2 with the Allae’s I own today. Split from the ex, moved into a flat went back to a Nait but kept the Allaes. Re-married and started to build a system again.

Don’t get me wrong I ‘am more than happy with my existing setup but was wondering how far Allae’s will go i.e. would anyone use them on a full spec 555 system with NDS or CD555?

Cheers

Sean

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

September 5, 2012 10:59 PM

If someone has the room to put a replay system or TV between their speakers, is there something wrong?

Just asking!

ATB from George

Like Like (0 likes)

September 6, 2012 1:34 AM

Originally Posted by George Fredrik:

If someone has the room to put a replay system or TV between their speakers, is there something wrong?

Just asking!

ATB from George

Radiator pics 2012?

Like Like (0 likes)
thebiglebowski

September 6, 2012 4:55 AM

Ian

I have owned Naim equipment for the past 14 years, started out dare I say it “Humble Nait3” but built up to a system 7 years ago to an 82/250/2xHi-Cap/CDS2 with the Allae’s I own today. Split from the ex, moved into a flat went back to a Nait but kept the Allaes. Re-married and started to build a system again.

Don’t get me wrong I ‘am more than happy with my existing setup but was wondering how far Allae’s will go i.e. would anyone use them on a full spec 555 system with NDS or CD555?

Cheers

Sean

Hope your new wife's name isn't Allae otherwise you're on the wrong forum for questions like that

Like Like (0 likes)

September 6, 2012 6:56 PM

Sean,

Now I understand your question.  I know a guy who ran Allaes with a CDS3, 552, 300.  Can't remember whether he kept them when he went to his 500 or not; I suspect he had bought his SL2s at that point.

What I do know is that it remains one of the most musical sounding systems I have ever heard, though he did say the SL2s took things to another level.

Ian

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

September 6, 2012 7:08 PM

Originally Posted by rackkit:
Originally Posted by George Fredrik:

[ESL 57 Picture]

ATB from George

Radiator pics 2012?

Kinda sort of radiators! Sound radiators!

ATB from George

Like Like (0 likes)

September 7, 2012 2:18 PM

looks like a door stop

It is.

Lord E.,

the Isoblue is not humble; despite being substantially cheaper than the Fraim (only a few automobiles and some very small flats are), it is not  cheap as chips, and has super cool looks.

Sorry, no England this summer.. Hopefully next year. Hope your summer was/is still being nice.

M.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 7, 2012 2:23 PM

Cheers

Sean

Richard Dane once reported about having heard a pair of Sats at the end of a top Naim system, and he noticed the difference.

I suspect any Naim loudspeakers will reveal any improvement in preceding stages, and the Allaes are not exactly entry level.

If you love a given speaker's sound and just want to upgrade the electronics, I think Naim is a good place where you can do it without absurd unbalance or money waste.

Cheers

Max

Like Like (0 likes)

September 7, 2012 7:11 PM

Ian

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean,

I'm having a little play with a 552 repacing my 282 at the moment through 200 and Allaes.  All I can say is I'm very impressed....not just with the 552, but the way my system has accommodated it too. It sounds fantastic, the Allaes really do shine when fed good stuff!  Only issue is I'm just baby sitting the 552 for a few days and it's got to go back. Oh well...one day maybe....

Like Like (0 likes)

September 7, 2012 7:30 PM

A picture from Jerusalem.

Linn LP12 + Aro + Armageddon + C & J MP11 Phonostage, Tuner 01, CDS-2

NAP 300, NAC 252, SL2 

From right to left: Mana, Fraim, Base

Improvements came this year - fraim, PowerLines to NAP+NAC

I have been tried to connect the CDS-2 with PowerLine and the result was unbalance.

Miki

Like Like (0 likes)

September 7, 2012 8:02 PM

Is it safe to own an Armageddon that close to the Plains of Megiddo?

Like Like (0 likes)

September 7, 2012 10:22 PM

I have never seen SL2s toed out before.

Stu.

Like Like (0 likes)

September 7, 2012 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gale 401:

Stu.

Stu -

I think it's an optical illusion -- look at the lines in the floor tiles.

Hook

Like Like (0 likes)

September 8, 2012 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jason:

Ian

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean,

I'm having a little play with a 552 repacing my 282 at the moment through 200 and Allaes.  All I can say is I'm very impressed....not just with the 552, but the way my system has accommodated it too. It sounds fantastic, the Allaes really do shine when fed good stuff!  Only issue is I'm just baby sitting the 552 for a few days and it's got to go back. Oh well...one day maybe....

Hi all

I know this isnt the place but couldn't help myself... I really have a "humble set up" with SU + 250.2 (CD5XS+FlatcapXS) but as a new owner of Allaes for 1 month now, all I can say is those speakers boogie. Even my wife says so... and beware, she has a very good ear (but never has the time to sit to really listen to music!)

Yip the Zip

Like Like (0 likes)

September 8, 2012 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hook:
Originally Posted by Gale 401:

Stu.

Stu -

I think it's an optical illusion -- look at the lines in the floor tiles.

Hook

Cheers for that Hook.

I would never have got that otherwise.

The Fraim bit still has me stumped though.

Regards,

From under a table on a iTouch because of the red  and some nice food.

Spu.

Like Like (0 likes)

ClosedAdditional replies and votes are not permitted on this topic.