System Pics 2017

FangfossFlyer posted:

Chris,

I bet it sounds as great as it looks!

The Fraim colour combinations is really pleasing and I like the mid level spacers for every shelf... it all works really well.

Nice one,

Richard

Agreed. It really works. Aesthetically the best Fraim set up I've seen.

Chris, did you have any problems ordering that base level combination or are Naim flexible about the combinations.

tonym posted:
Nick from Suffolk posted:

Have you experimented with positioning the MuSo on the Fraim?

Naturellement!  After much experimentation I found that by moving the Muso 2mm further forward and adding a 6mm diameter lump of Blu-Tack to the left rear corner it utterly transformed the sound.

Now THAT was some funny s**t Tony - I actually did lol, and at work too!

sheffieldgraham posted:

Chris, did you have any problems ordering that base level combination or are Naim flexible about the combinations.

Graham - thank you for your comments 

The two tone base level is not supplied as such, but when I made it clear to Peter Swain that I wanted two stacks it became simple. I ordered one natural ash base level and one in black ash.

What I did not initially appreciated was that the wooden levels are all the same but the bottom level of the base is used the other way up. By buying two bases Peter could create the black lower base with natural "shelf" by simply combining them. 

It was a bit of  a risk in some respects but am very pleased - it sounds amazing and I think it looks stunning from all angles  

Chris Dolan posted:
sheffieldgraham posted:

Graham - thank you for your comments 

The two tone base level is not supplied as such, but when I made it clear to Peter Swain that I wanted two stacks it became simple. I ordered one natural ash base level and one in black ash.

What I did not initially appreciated was that the wooden levels are all the same but the bottom level of the base is used the other way up. By buying two bases Peter could create the black lower base with natural "shelf" by simply combining them. 

It was a bit of  a risk in some respects but am very pleased - it sounds amazing and I think it looks stunning from all angles  

Happy to help and go the extra mile on this for you Chris (well 400 for the round trip). I'm really happy that you are so pleased with the end result and I always prefer to build and install new Fraim as the set-up is very important in getting the maximum from the system. Listening to that Everything but the girl album on Saturday really proved the point IMHO

Sheffieldgraham, no Naim are not flexible. A twin tone base cannot be ordered, but if like Chris, someone wants this, provided you have two bases to be ordered, it's no problem with a little lateral thinking.

KR

Peter

I have moved again (witness protection scheme). Sveijk came along too. He is loyal, loyal.

So I'm having to deal with the pesky, vibrate-y sideboards. My Guru stands were summarily excommunicated to the attic, by the capricious mercies of SWMBO. Often, I am sent there to join them, where we beguile away the hours with tales of the delicious orient.

This vindicated my trip to a local creche, whereupon I nicked two of the infants' stools, 'pon which they perched to receive the glories of wisdom. I also nicked the granite slabs, presumably employed by the teachers to keep the learning in, and - wisely - tamp it down.

Cable discipline? There is none.

The children's milk allowance I used to recolour the Isoblues. Thrift is my watchword.  That and 'Casio'.

Hinges; model's own.

Donkeyhaute posted:

I have moved again (witness protection scheme). Sveijk came along too. He is loyal, loyal.

So I'm having to deal with the pesky, vibrate-y sideboards. My Guru stands were summarily excommunicated to the attic, by the capricious mercies of SWMBO. Often, I am sent there to join them, where we beguile away the hours with tales of the delicious orient.

This vindicated my trip to a local creche, whereupon I nicked two of the infants' stools, 'pon which they perched to receive the glories of wisdom. I also nicked the granite slabs, presumably employed by the teachers to keep the learning in, and - wisely - tamp it down.

Cable discipline? There is none.

The children's milk allowance I used to recolour the Isoblues. Thrift is my watchword.  That and 'Casio'.

Hinges; model's own.

Ah, your back. I have missed your wonderful musings.

Welcome.

Did the kiddy's stools do the job as a speaker foundation? (Goodness how I hope we are talking about the same definition of 'stools').

Thanks! And.....not really, Nigel. They abhorred the tripartite stanchion principle, much championed by Fraim. Barbarically, instead, they opted for FOUR legs. This is the type of institutionalised redundancy that is ruining our chances of becoming Top Nation once again.

The stone slabs simply double down on this.

Well you must have heard of the very old saying 'Four legs are better than three', as if sheer quantity were a sign of robustness and superiority. Thank goodness Naim have put paid to that nonsense with the advent of the technically advanced Fraim and it's frugal deployment of support points (that is three instead of the unnecessary four adopted by our well-meaning but ill-informed forefathers).

I think you might be on to something here though - that is a mini Fraim to support bookshelf speakers. What would you call them though? The Milk Maid's Stool? No, best avoid the use of the word 'stool' in case of any misunderstandings as eluded to in my previous post!

Any ideas?

Oddly, we had a single milking stool that I put a speaker on. But I couldn't find a match.

Turns out Henry Ford's principles hadn't penetrated the 18th century milking stool market. And I think that market is the worse for it. No two cows are identical, it transpires. And some maids are bigger than others.

I looked into alternatives but my speakers wobbled around like crazy on the modern, commercial dairy solutions. Also, humming was bad. The assembly vibrated at 43,000 RPM and intimidated local milkmen.  I gave it up for a bad job on the basis of curdling microphony.

Also, from a distance, my kit looked like a teenage kraken paying enthusiastic court to a Liquorice Allsort.

No speaker has enough nipples for that. 

Donkeyhaute posted:

Oddly, we had a single milking stool that I put a speaker on. But I couldn't find a match.

Turns out Henry Ford's principles hadn't penetrated the 18th century milking stool market. And I think that market is the worse for it. No two cows are identical, it transpires. And some maids are bigger than others.

I looked into alternatives but my speakers wobbled around like crazy on the modern, commercial dairy solutions. Also, humming was bad. The assembly vibrated at 43,000 RPM and intimidated local milkmen.  I gave it up for a bad job on the basis of curdling microphony.

Also, from a distance, my kit looked like a teenage kraken paying enthusiastic court to a Liquorice Allsort.

No speaker has enough nipples for that. 

Wonderful stuff. Please don't leave us again. The Forum needs you!

I think it might be an idea if the moderators got Hoop.La to introduce a 'Turgid Alert' button which any of us can hit if the conversation on a particular thread becomes…err…well..turgid. The likes of Donkeyhaute can then be alerted and ride in to save the day. 

Yes, on here we need to be informed and enlightened, yes we need answers to our technical woes, but we also need entertainment.

What do you think?

Apologies to HH for the slight diversion from system pics.

Certainly and with pleasure.  The process is as follows. 

1). In your sternest voice, and using semaphore, instruct a loved one to buy 'bright white wood paint and clear, hard varnish.'

2). Light a cigarette or vegetable of your choice.

3). Deliquesce into an armchair. Put on some agreeable lift music whilst angle-grinding your toenails into Spring. 

4). Idly acknowledge your loved one's return from the same armchair by generously waving your lighted aubergine.

5). Dramatic pause.

6). Explode out of armchair like a harrier jump-jet because loved one has returned with seventeen feather dusters and something called 'base coat primer- basic'. She did better on the varnish but it's the size of a thimble.

7). Cigarettes. Pacing. 

8). F**k it. 

9). With the air of princess Margaret shooeing away a mosquito on Mustique, flick primer onto  isoblue. Just to see.

10). Double f**k it. The blasted thing has pebble-dashed my entire rig. 

11). Punch passing cat.

12). Vodka.

13). Using one almighty heave, relocate rig outdoors and paint the thing in an ecstasy of hatred. 

14). Pant a bit.

15).  Feel silly.

16). A new day dawns. You are woken by birdsong and piercing lances of sunlight. 

17). BUT YOU REMEMBER THE ISOBLUE BUSINESS.

18). Inhale coffee. Leg it to the scene of the crime. 

19). Massage chin like in detective things. This doesn't look too bad....in fact I like it. Let's apply the varnish.

20). BY THE FROZEN, TOUSLED LOCKS OF TOUTATIS SHE'S BOUGHT THE WRONG C**KING VARNISH AND NOW IT'S GONE ALL ORANGE.

21). Get another hobby.  

Add Reply