To Core or NOT to Core

I use Tidal Hifi 95% of the time and the other 5% USB (128GB) into my Nova.

So i am kind of thinking unless i suddenly start to rip all my old  CDs (all on Tidal) and start buying lots of new CDs (all on Tidal) there is no point for me.

I agree based on my USB listening to HiRes downloads are better than Tidal.

However for ease and flexibility between my Nova and on the go (car/mobile) i prefer Tidal (or the best HiRes stream source in can get).

Any thoughts ?

 

Original Post
Obsydian posted:

I use Tidal Hifi 95% of the time and the other 5% USB (128GB) into my Nova.

So i am kind of thinking unless i suddenly start to rip all my old  CDs (all on Tidal) and start buying lots of new CDs (all on Tidal) there is no point for me.

I agree based on my USB listening to HiRes downloads are better than Tidal.

However for ease and flexibility between my Nova and on the go (car/mobile) i prefer Tidal (or the best HiRes stream source in can get).

Any thoughts ?

 

it would be interesting to see if downloads on a nas or core sound better than on usb stick. Perhaps you can test it at a dealer place.  For me, downloads on my unitserve sound better than on usb stick on my nds.   The other reason  for the future : a lot of downloads on an usb stick are not easy to be seen.

For cd rips:  they sound a little bit better than tidal, but marginally.

On the other way, Tidal is the most convenient way to listen, i agree.   Try perhaps to test first sound quality for nas/ or core with downloads vs usb stick.   It will be easier to make a decision after.

Robert Burgess posted:

In defence of the Uniti Core, while not cheap it offers much in terms of convenience with seamless integreation via the ios app plus easlily edited metadata for cataloging. Very happy with mine, paired to a 272/250DR.

Just wanted to add that my comments above apply to the Core's ability to rip/store/play cd's. If streaming TIDAL and downloading hi res content is the primary goal, then of course a NAS is the answer.

the majority now will have their cd collection ripped, in most cases years a go. the ripping platform is not important .

if you only have a small collection its hardly worth it  go tidal/qobuz etc.   the other issue now is , the uniti range customers will have a power amp so the internal amp is redundant.   .   the  all in range uniti is great for new customers others will have to wait in the Q.  

Obsydian posted:
T38.45 posted:

Why Core? It has no integration in Tidal nor Qobuz nor "roon"... imho makes no sense....but if you like it - buy it:-)

 

I think you summed it up, it makes no sense I just wanted it 

 

the uniti star have a ripping / storing capabilities .  you can go from nova to star eventually, all one box solution.

Star is the only one with CD hardware (and Core obviously). Pre-release there were rumours that Atom and Nova would be able to rip from an external CD drive, but this hasn't been implemented so far. I suppose it might be implemented one day but I think Naim have enough trouble getting what they have got to work properly, so I doubt they would be in hurry to add ripping firmware to Nova.

best

David

I would go for the recently released Roon Nucleus with an SSD onboard for the files you do have (which may slowly expand in number for those special albums that you can get hi-res versions for), then use Roon's Tidal integration for some very happy days streaming out to your Nova. A simple and quite special combination I imagine.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×