Uniti Atom/Nova/Star - New firmware - March/April 2018 Comments

Ok cheers, I’m intrigued by this now, think I’ll stick with 2.6 regardless and wait for it to come back around just to prove I’m not losing my mind! When it was good it was very good. It’s definitely a tangible difference though, exactly the same symptoms again - crunchy sound, lack of bottom end and lower output. 

Mercky posted:
EoinKav posted:

Hi Steve,

Hope you get your Atom's mojo back with the 2.3 downgrade, it's pretty straight forward. 

Mine has reverted to sounding naff again which dispels the notion that I had merely adjusted to 2.6. Weird that it’s inconsistent. I have the 2.3 link but never reverted, can you help with this - I don’t have a pc at home at the moment, can I downgrade using the link via my ipad? I can’t quite get my head around it - thanks 

Mercky - which iOS version are you running on the iPad, and have you actually downloaded the firmware file to anywhere?

I think you should be able to update via iPad - I've just reapplied 2.3 doing so to test using the web configuration page.

*** General note - Please do not ask for firmware links - at this time Naim have asked for people to contact support directly if they have issues - otherwise Naim do not get a true feel for overall numbers who feel the latest firmware has had an adverse effect ***

I trust it is ok to post this detail - I found the web configuration page long ago as it declared itself as a Bonjour service under the Bonjour Safari tab on my Mac - this was long before requesting the older firmware from Naim, so I think anyone could stumble across this page on their computers, as it's there by design.

You will need to download the firmware file to iCloud drive say in a folder called Naim so you'll find it easily.  You will hopefully be able to do access it and save it from the email with the firmware link Naim sent you.

Once firmware saved to iCloud Drive go to your Naim app and look for the LAN IP address on the network under:

Settings>About    e.g. 192.168.1.20

Also note the serial number which at least for my Nova is a 6 digit number.

Next go to Safari on iPad and enter in the address bar at the top (not a browser search tab) either:

Using your own LAN IP address:

192.168.1.20/naim/index.fcgi

or, using your serial number eg 123456:

uniti-atom-123456.local/naim/index.fcgi

This brings you to the web based configuration page (which on Macs at least, used to be accessible via Bonjour easily until they removed the optional display of Bonjour web pages from Safari a few updates ago - annoying!)

In the Update tab choose Start Update 

From the popup choose Browse and navigate to the firmware on iCloud Drive and select it, on mine it then downloaded the file to iPad (I think) and the update began with no further user intervention. Just in case, don't let the iPad screen display turn off until you can see the page has uploaded the firmware to the Atom and commenced the update.

The Atom will restart several times - give it 10-15 minutes (it's probably faster but not when you're waiting!), and wait for the home screen to eventually appear on the Atom without the front display changing for a few minutes.

I'm not convinced a factory reset from Settings Menu on the Atom itself makes a difference, try without first - if you do reset make sure you have the physical Remote handy to re-pair.  Resetting the iOS app does different things.

Hope that helps.

I've just had to turn the volume down going back from 2.6 to 2.3....

Alley Cat posted:
Mercky posted:
EoinKav posted:

Hi Steve,

Hope you get your Atom's mojo back with the 2.3 downgrade, it's pretty straight forward. 

Mine has reverted to sounding naff again which dispels the notion that I had merely adjusted to 2.6. Weird that it’s inconsistent. I have the 2.3 link but never reverted, can you help with this - I don’t have a pc at home at the moment, can I downgrade using the link via my ipad? I can’t quite get my head around it - thanks 

Mercky - which iOS version are you running on the iPad, and have you actually downloaded the firmware file to anywhere?

I think you should be able to update via iPad - I've just reapplied 2.3 doing so to test using the web configuration page.

*** General note - Please do not ask for firmware links - at this time Naim have asked for people to contact support directly if they have issues - otherwise Naim do not get a true feel for overall numbers who feel the latest firmware has had an adverse effect ***

I trust it is ok to post this detail - I found the web configuration page long ago as it declared itself as a Bonjour service under the Bonjour Safari tab on my Mac - this was long before requesting the older firmware from Naim, so I think anyone could stumble across this page on their computers, as it's there by design.

You will need to download the firmware file to iCloud drive say in a folder called Naim so you'll find it easily.  You will hopefully be able to do access it and save it from the email with the firmware link Naim sent you.

Once firmware saved to iCloud Drive go to your Naim app and look for the LAN IP address on the network under:

Settings>About    e.g. 192.168.1.20

Also note the serial number which at least for my Nova is a 6 digit number.

Next go to Safari on iPad and enter in the address bar at the top (not a browser search tab) either:

Using your own LAN IP address:

192.168.1.20/naim/index.fcgi

or, using your serial number eg 123456:

uniti-atom-123456.local/naim/index.fcgi

This brings you to the web based configuration page (which on Macs at least, used to be accessible via Bonjour easily until they removed the optional display of Bonjour web pages from Safari a few updates ago - annoying!)

In the Update tab choose Start Update 

From the popup choose Browse and navigate to the firmware on iCloud Drive and select it, on mine it then downloaded the file to iPad (I think) and the update began with no further user intervention. Just in case, don't let the iPad screen display turn off until you can see the page has uploaded the firmware to the Atom and commenced the update.

The Atom will restart several times - give it 10-15 minutes (it's probably faster but not when you're waiting!), and wait for the home screen to eventually appear on the Atom without the front display changing for a few minutes.

I'm not convinced a factory reset from Settings Menu on the Atom itself makes a difference, try without first - if you do reset make sure you have the physical Remote handy to re-pair.  Resetting the iOS app does different things.

Hope that helps.

I've just had to turn the volume down going back from 2.6 to 2.3....

Thanks dude, that worked a treat, back on 2.3 now! Hmmmm

Is that a good or a bad Hmmmm ? 

If you want to compare you can freely update to current as usual and go back to 2.3.

There are undoubtedly some positives to 2.6 but for some of us it seems we'd forgo those (detail for example) to restore more warmth generally and especially to restore the lower end - even if some would argue it's colouration.

It was a ‘not quite what I was expecting’ hmmm! I was expecting more of an OMG that’s so much better result actually, a bit more bottom end for sure but overall not as a big a contrast as I thought it would be. I think it reverts to 85% vol too which is a bit annoying. Anyway I’m back on 2.6 and to be fair I think I prefer it, sounds better after the reload with more bass but that could be just placebo. So the upshot for me is that the issues I’m having or think I’m having, are most likely not related to firmware, either it’s all in my head or there is an external issue at play which is influencing the sound from time to time . I’m getting a bit tired of analysing it to be honest and would much prefer to be listening to my music rather then my hifi and scrutinising it all the time so I’m going to stick with 2.6 and just get on with it, might try some different speaker cables just in case the synergy isent quite right, life was much easier with MuSo!!

Mercky posted:

It was a ‘not quite what I was expecting’ hmmm! I was expecting more of an OMG that’s so much better result actually, a bit more bottom end for sure but overall not as a big a contrast as I thought it would be. I think it reverts to 85% vol too which is a bit annoying. Anyway I’m back on 2.6 and to be fair I think I prefer it, sounds better after the reload with more bass but that could be just placebo. So the upshot for me is that the issues I’m having or think I’m having, are most likely not related to firmware, either it’s all in my head or there is an external issue at play which is influencing the sound from time to time . I’m getting a bit tired of analysing it to be honest and would much prefer to be listening to my music rather then my hifi and scrutinising it all the time so I’m going to stick with 2.6 and just get on with it, might try some different speaker cables just in case the synergy isent quite right, life was much easier with MuSo!!

Interesting.  I agree I'd rather be listening than analysing, but for me 2.3 lets me listen and I'm engaged with the music even if listening at a distance at the other end of a large 'knocked through' room whereas 2.6 does become fatiguing and sounds like background radio in the same context.

It should not revert to 85% volume unless you do a formal factory restore from the front panel, but you won't be able to tell from the app if you are on current release as balance and max volume will not be seen.

I think a lot of the differences (assuming they are real) are quite track specific, so a track where female vocals are shouty/shrill or thin may stand out whereas other tracks stand out due to less sonorous bass/mids - strings in particular.

Naim may not agree, but I do think it would be nice to at least officially have a repository of firmware versions we could use given that firmware changes intentionally or not will produce changes to the sound.

Mercky, did you reset after going back to 2.3?

I kept going back and forth between 2.3 and 2.6. A reset while on 2.6 did’t seem to help, I still disliked the sound. Then I tried what has been mentioned before and went back to 2.3 without reset. Then upgrade to 2.6, then reset. 

This is totally weird, because now I am pleased with the sound of 2.6!  It no longer has this dull, distant sound without involvement. But the body and the warmth is back, now it can create this “shivers down my spine” feeling again! I deliberately compared with familiar tracks. Bass is a bit less, but more precise. (Maybe just more precise and just feels to be less loud?) Over all there is more detail, but it still is involving. The PRaT as you call it is definitely there.

I just can’t believe it’s just me getting used to the sound. I had the 2.6 upgrade for quite a while before downgrading and I never liked it. I felt fatigue and  wanting to stop listening soon. Now it feels different. Don’t want to stop listening, just as it was before with 2.3.  Strange, can it really be the sequence of down- and upgrading and only then resetting, that makes the difference?

Robert_F posted:

Mercky, did you reset after going back to 2.3?

I kept going back and forth between 2.3 and 2.6. A reset while on 2.6 did’t seem to help, I still disliked the sound. Then I tried what has been mentioned before and went back to 2.3 without reset. Then upgrade to 2.6, then reset. 

This is totally weird, because now I am pleased with the sound of 2.6!  It no longer has this dull, distant sound without involvement. But the body and the warmth is back, now it can create this “shivers down my spine” feeling again! I deliberately compared with familiar tracks. Bass is a bit less, but more precise. (Maybe just more precise and just feels to be less loud?) Over all there is more detail, but it still is involving. The PRaT as you call it is definitely there.

I just can’t believe it’s just me getting used to the sound. I had the 2.6 upgrade for quite a while before downgrading and I never liked it. I felt fatigue and  wanting to stop listening soon. Now it feels different. Don’t want to stop listening, just as it was before with 2.3.  Strange, can it really be the sequence of down- and upgrading and only then resetting, that makes the difference?

No I dident reset at all but noticed it sounded back on form after the second bounce to 2.6 so I left it at that, still sounding good today so let’s hope it holds as it seems a bit contrary. Time will tell.

+1 another dissatisfied 2.6 Atom owner.

My dealer gave me the link and I have moved from 2.3 to 2.6 backwards and forwards (with resets & without). The sound of 2.6 remains different and disliked. Some emails from Naim that do not fill me with confidence that anything will be done (or done anytime soon):

"Why was it changed?"
Software changes are made as software moves on ... this applies to all software and not just that written by Naim. The latest app requires the latest streamer firmware to provide all of its functionality. If you wish to leave your unit frozen at a point in time and not update it then that is your choice to do so however in doing so you will not benefit from any future bug fixes, functionality enhancements or performance improvements.

"Why is it worse than 2.3?"
We do not feel that the 2.6 firmware is "worse" than 2.3 - we feel that it is significantly better and the feedback that we have had globally does bear that out as from the thousands of units that have been updated since the 2.6 firmware was released we have had a very small number of complaints that the 2.6 firmware sounds "worse" and we are looking into why it may be that on those units there is a reported issue. Sound quality is very much a subjective thing and as such this is being looked into here but I am afraid it will never be possible to mix-and-match functionality / fixes / firmwares in the way that you are requesting.

"Why won’t customers get what they paid for, namely the sound of 2.3 & ‘working’ advertised features in the way of bug fixes (I’m not talking about new features, just the advertised ones when sold)"
We believe that customers are getting what they paid for - a great sounding, well built product that is supported moving forward with functionality enhancements and stability enhancements.

Apparently only about 20 users are experiencing this (from another Naim email), I've already started looking around to trade in my Atom for a different brand.

I wonder where all that positive feedback they mention came from. Lack of complaint is hardly positive acceptance. For all they know people could very well be at home scratching their head wondering what has happened to their sound.

We have a platform in which to discuss such matters, I actively sought out this forum to get an insight as to why my Uniti Atom became harsh are brittle after the update. I'm glad I did as I've found others who did the same and others who also felt the way I did not only about this series but other Naim streamers also.

Given the thousands of all types of units Naim have  sold, the ratio of forum members is relatively small (110) and visitors of today of 350. The vocal members here in the Uniti thread and the other streamer products who are complaining are an important sounding board to warn Naim that they have messed up.

It's up to Naim ultimately to take heed of our dis-quiet. Ultimately we will decide with our feet if they don't find an acceptable solution.

tony123 posted:

Does the sound quality of other NAIM products is also affected by firmware updates? I mean products like SUPERNAIT 2, NAP 500 DR, etc.?
Will they sound different after new updates are installed?

The SN2 (and Nait XS2) has a USB socket for firmware updates (have they done any ?) but the firmware only controls the switching functions, remote control etc so nothing to worry about here. I don't think any of the other classic pre-amps (272 aside) have any way of updating (without opening the case) so again nothing to get concerned about.

Basically, don't worry.

EoinKav posted:

I wonder where all that positive feedback they mention came from. Lack of complaint is hardly positive acceptance. For all they know people could very well be at home scratching their head wondering what has happened to their sound.

We have a platform in which to discuss such matters, I actively sought out this forum to get an insight as to why my Uniti Atom became harsh are brittle after the update. I'm glad I did as I've found others who did the same and others who also felt the way I did not only about this series but other Naim streamers also.

Given the thousands of all types of units Naim have  sold, the ratio of forum members is relatively small (110) and visitors of today of 350. The vocal members here in the Uniti thread and the other streamer products who are complaining are an important sounding board to warn Naim that they have messed up.

It's up to Naim ultimately to take heed of our dis-quiet. Ultimately we will decide with our feet if they don't find an acceptable solution.

As far as I can determine Naim have taken lack of complaint as positive acceptance. I have written to Naim several times on this issue and on the 23rd April they responded saying that out of 15,000 of the new uniti users, Atom/Star/Nova, a very small number, less than 10, had complained regarding the sound quality.

So as I said earlier in the thread, 3 choices, bite the 2.6 bullet, revert back to 2.3 unsupported or move on.

Sky posted:

+1 another dissatisfied 2.6 Atom owner.

My dealer gave me the link and I have moved from 2.3 to 2.6 backwards and forwards (with resets & without). The sound of 2.6 remains different and disliked. Some emails from Naim that do not fill me with confidence that anything will be done (or done anytime soon):

"Why was it changed?"
Software changes are made as software moves on ... this applies to all software and not just that written by Naim. The latest app requires the latest streamer firmware to provide all of its functionality. If you wish to leave your unit frozen at a point in time and not update it then that is your choice to do so however in doing so you will not benefit from any future bug fixes, functionality enhancements or performance improvements.

We do not feel that the 2.6 firmware is "worse" than 2.3 - we feel that it is significantly better and the feedback that we have had globally does bear that out as from the thousands of units that have been updated since the 2.6 firmware was released we have had a very small number of complaints that the 2.6 firmware sounds "worse" and we are looking into why it may be that on those units there is a reported issue. Sound quality is very much a subjective thing and as such this is being looked into here but I am afraid it will never be possible to mix-and-match functionality / fixes / firmwares in the way that you are requesting.

"Why won’t customers get what they paid for, namely the sound of 2.3 & ‘working’ advertised features in the way of bug fixes (I’m not talking about new features, just the advertised ones when sold)"
We believe that customers are getting what they paid for - a great sounding, well built product that is supported moving forward with functionality enhancements and stability enhancements.

Apparently only about 20 users are experiencing this (from another Naim email), I've already started looking around to trade in my Atom for a different brand.

So basically tough it is you (us - 20 of us apparently), this appears to now be an official position, all i have ever been told it we are looking into it. I guess Naim have gone for the "give it a week, and topic will be gone and forgotten".

For those who say yes to the 2.6 change in sound, as firmware changes it will happen again, then another change, then another - leaving a different product than purchased. Some may move with the sound, others i guess have bought Naim for a certain sound.

I must admit i have been talking to dealers about Linn (poison word to me), more to see what other brands do and do they suffer the same issues. Seems Linn did to an extent, but appears most models offer a DSP room adjustment to overcome this.

At the moment, i think i'll go back to classic olive boxes.

I really think it needs to be asked ....

The MD of Naim, Trevor posted in this thread and another to say Naim take this issue seriously and wish to understand what has gone wrong with those affected users / units,  who have complained.

Against this statement, has anyone been contacted directly by Naim support to enquire as to any detail regarding the experience in the upgrade / down grade of the firmware?.

Has anyone been directly asked as to the specifics of the complaint they have regarding the SQ of 2.6?.

Has anyone contacted Naim support to offer such information and what was the response you received, if any?.

I am just curious given the pat answers in the emails people are receiving when they request the downgrade to the firmware.

Contrasted with Trevor's comments ....

"To those that aren't happy i would like to say that we accept your feedback and to tell you that Naim R&D are actively working on understanding your experiences and why it would manifest itself - the team at Naim will assist those in need"

"hello Mercky, i would trust that tech support will contact those whom need support directly"

Surely at this stage some effort to reach out to those who are affected is in order!, or are we to think that Naim has reverted back to consulting with its Beta testing user base for answers rather than the affected users?.

Did Naim initiate contact with me - No.

Has Naim responded to specific concerns i directly raised to them - Yes, but only they are investigating.

Based on this is choose to wait and see.

But @Sky post is a clear departure from that and Naim taking a formal position of majority (beta group and this forum) are happy, the haters are a minority, they will get used to it, or just tuff.

I'm asking if anyone has actually been contacted given the statement in red, it seems strange that those here who have complained have not (as far as I'm aware) been contacted to provide any further information. The most logical course of action would appear to be to contact those users directly and get an understanding of exactly what the issue is and the configuration of the systems in question.

Thanks for your answer, 

dave-mac posted:

Also, if someone doesn't go to the effort to complain, that means they like the new sound? Laughable. Give us back what we paid for, thieves.

Dave-mac, Naim have stated that they are taking concerns seriously and looking into the matter.  But this takes time as there are so many variables. In the meantime, you can, of course, stick or go back to the previous firmware, so exactly what you bought in the first place. So, I think under the present circumstances, that calling Naim "thieves" is rather excessive, wouldn't you?

As for your own unit, have you been in touch with either Naim or your dealer?  How did your unit compare to their demo one?  It would be interesting to find out and may add a bit of knowledge to situation.

Gents

I've just returned from Munich show. I can honestly state that we aren’t ignoring you and we are taking this seriously. At a meeting this morning in Naim there was very serious conversation that whilst the volume of active complaints is small it’s important and isn’t to be forgotten. The team are listening and working currently

Trevor

Just spent the afternoon listening to the Atom on 2.6 and am now of the opinion that it’s a little harsh on some female vocals. I hadn’t appreciated what some had mentioned in terms of listening fatigue, but now understand as I am sitting watching a movie rather than listening to music.

I went to my dealer before I even registered with Naim Forums, he wasn't happy with the firmware and had downgraded, he passed the 2.3 link to me with instructions on how to downgrade. It's only through this shambolic process that I even bothered registering.

From an earlier Naim email:

... if it were 8,000 reports out of 10,000+ users then it would be much easier to identify but when it is more in the order of 20 reports from 10,000+ users then it is a much more involved process to identify what may be occurring in the specific context of your setup that is not to your liking.

So Naim are claiming they have sold 10,000+ of these units and only 20 have reported an issue - there are at least 20 people on these forums who are dissatisfied - is that how Naim garner feedback, count the number of complainants on their forums?

There must be many people who read these forums and just wait for an update rather than registering or complaining. If my dealer gave me the link for the firmware, he probably has given it to others, if he has done it then other dealers have probably done it - they at least understand keeping customers happy.

It's a very poor way to deal with Naim introduced issues. 

Trevor Wilson posted:

Gents

I've just returned from Munich show. I can honestly state that we aren’t ignoring you and we are taking this seriously. At a meeting this morning in Naim there was very serious conversation that whilst the volume of active complaints is small it’s important and isn’t to be forgotten. The team are listening and working currently

Trevor

If Naim take the issue seriously, why aren't they providing upgrades of functionalities and DSP upgrades on different tracks? This is not rocket science and requiring users to adjust to a new sound signature (be this superior or not) in order to take advantage of new functiuonalities is neither fair nor meaningful, in my view.   

What new functionalities?, the 2.6 firmware fixed the multiroom functionality which already supposed to be there but was broken/disabled since shipping.

Yes, slight Improvements in,  multiroom limit from 96kHz to 192kHz, latest roon and spotify library and a soft mute when your streaming music drops out, are about all that was added or improved, hardly extended or new functionality 

Everything else was a fix to improve overall stability on a firmware that was flawed.

Oh!, sorry ... I forgot unless you're referring the functional change in sound to make my £1500 streamer sound like a £100 bluetooth speaker, I'd rather call that dis-functional 

Sky posted:

I went to my dealer before I even registered with Naim Forums, he wasn't happy with the firmware and had downgraded, he passed the 2.3 link to me with instructions on how to downgrade. It's only through this shambolic process that I even bothered registering.

... if it were 8,000 reports out of 10,000+ users then it would be much easier to identify but when it is more in the order of 20 reports from 10,000+ users then it is a much more involved process to identify what may be occurring in the specific context of your setup that is not to your liking.

So Naim are claiming they have sold 10,000+ of these units and only 20 have reported an issue - there are at least 20 people on these forums who are dissatisfied - is that how Naim garner feedback, count the number of complainants on their forums?

There must be many people who read these forums and just wait for an update rather than registering or complaining. If my dealer gave me the link for the firmware, he probably has given it to others, if he has done it then other dealers have probably done it - they at least understand keeping customers happy.

The volume of "active complaints" referred to by Naim may be small but if dealers are taking this kind of action I think Naim would be wise to move fast to manage and resolve this issue. As far as I can see, unlike the 4.6 thread, not many are posting about sound improvements.

It is not a matter of better or worse as that is a personal preference, fact is the sound has changed for the Uniti line, NDS, 272, the former two have numerous threads on this forum for and against.

Stay focused on the CHANGE of sound, not the fallout (like/dislike/neutral)

As customers we should by law expect a product to be as per sold, in this case all of us bought and paid devices for the Naim sound.

Now we see a departure from that, if people are happy on that path, then fine, but it is unreasonable for those who prefer the original sound to just roll over and except it.

Naim should support the purchased sound (and all future updates) or offer to buy back.

“As customers we should by law expect a product to be as per sold, in this case all of us bought and paid devices for the Naim sound“

Can see this flying in a court of law, any sound is subjective, unfortunately courts only work on facts.

you could argue that at the time it was sold that it exhibited the ‘Naim sound’ however after a few weeks of use the sound does change, so at what point would you measure the ‘Naim sound’?

Granthar posted:

“As customers we should by law expect a product to be as per sold, in this case all of us bought and paid devices for the Naim sound“

Can see this flying in a court of law, any sound is subjective, unfortunately courts only work on facts.

you could argue that at the time it was sold that it exhibited the ‘Naim sound’ however after a few weeks of use the sound does change, so at what point would you measure the ‘Naim sound’?

I think if we where talking boom box brands, then it would not fly, but when you are talking audiophile high end brands, who sell based on a certain sound/signature based on dealer demonstration (to determine whether to buy), then yes.

Add to that lengthy forum threads on the CHANGE IN SOUND FROM POINT OF SALE.

Most manufacturers overcome these support issues by discontinuing a line and replacing it with a new one.

glasnaim posted:
Sky posted:

The volume of "active complaints" referred to by Naim may be small but if dealers are taking this kind of action I think Naim would be wise to move fast to manage and resolve this issue. As far as I can see, unlike the 4.6 thread, not many are posting about sound improvements.

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately if a specific dealer is handing out links to download the old firmware then that means that we lose any metric as to the scale of any issue - you may feel that we are not listening or taking notice but there is a lot of R&D effort at this end taking place to evaluate what the contributing factors are and in this instance such an action being taken by a dealer then not only means that we don't have any contact details for anyone they have given the information to that has felt the need to roll back (so when we have a possible solution we can't contact those people directly) but also we don't have their details to count in the number of reports.

As it is I have not seen any reports back from dealers saying that they have experienced sound quality issues - if we had then we would include them so it would be good to find out which dealer "sky" goes to so that we can follow up with them...

An earlier posting from our MD specifically requested that anyone with issues contacts us directly - this is so that we can build and maintain a profile of the issue so that request still stands.

Best

Phil

Add Reply

Likes (3)
Robert_FMarcus67JosefM