What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIII)

Stevee_S posted:

A + 3 | WAV

(1976 | 1994)

One thing leads to another and in this case its another excellent Definitive Edition remaster of this Genesis album which holds great memories for me. 

Steve, please try and grab an original Virgin/Chrysalis CD (or download of)  of A Trick of the Tail. I believe it was mastered by Barry Diament.  It is simply one of the best sounding discs that I own. Superb. Trust me, I'm a doctor....... 

Wugged Woy posted:
Stevee_S posted:

A + 3 | WAV

(1976 | 1994)

One thing leads to another and in this case its another excellent Definitive Edition remaster of this Genesis album which holds great memories for me. 

Steve, please try and grab an original Virgin/Chrysalis CD (or download of)  of A Trick of the Tail. I believe it was mastered by Barry Diament.  It is simply one of the best sounding discs that I own. Superb. Trust me, I'm a doctor....... 

Thanks Woy, just because you're a doctor I'm going to seek one of those originals out! Having said that the DE remasters are not too shabby!

ATB

Steve 

Wugged Woy posted:
Stevee_S posted:

A + 3 | WAV

(1976 | 1994)

I have both and I very much prefer the Definitive Edition Remaster from 1994.

Better than either of these, however, is the original pink hatter vinyl.

I promised myself a listen to this after Kevin-W posted earlier this afternoon.  Much as I like Mac Mark II, listening to The Green Manalishi, Oh Well, Man of the World etc I'm powerfully reminded of just how cool I thought the original Mac was. I can just about recall a TOTP performance of Man of the World which left a big impression on me.   

Little sequence of nostalgic acoustic based tracks fired initially by:

Saint Agnes and the Burning Train from The Soul Cages

Then, Bron-Yr-Aur from Physical Graffiti 

Then, The Clap from The Yes Album

Then Michael Hedges - you know the (title) track...

Then ending with some vocals whilst staying with acoustic dominance and inspired by earlier Zep ....  Babe I'm gonna leave you.

kuma posted:
EJS posted:

the piano sounds a bit brittle but apparently that's how he likes it and that's how I heard him in Amsterdam on several occasions, too.

Having to hear him live several times at the same venue ( from a different seating ) I am 99% sure that's how his Hamburg Steinway-Fabbrini concert grand sounds like!

It isn't my favourite cuz upper register tends to *klang* but it seems to give him a nice clean bass line which exposes structure of the music.

Kuma, yes! For a Steinway, the bass is light and a bit muddy and as you say, the upper register clangy. It fits his style well, though. I remember Alfred Brendel similarly having his own 'sound', although apparently what he did was rub the felt on the hammers - apparently to the dismay of the pianist who played the same piano on the following night! 

Zimerman also flies around his own piano, but I can't recall any idiosyncrasies. But the craziest I ever heard must have been Yefim Bronfman on the Concertgebouw's own grand. He played Mussorgsky's pictures the one time I heard him live. A deafening experience, he clearly tried to pound the 'D' into the ground. The groaning Steinway soon gave a sound unlike I'd heard before or since.

Cheers

EJ

EJS posted:
Zimerman also flies around his own piano, but I can't recall any idiosyncrasies. But the craziest I ever heard must have been Yefim Bronfman on the Concertgebouw's own grand. He played Mussorgsky's pictures the one time I heard him live. A deafening experience, he clearly tried to pound the 'D' into the ground. The groaning Steinway soon gave a sound unlike I'd heard before or since.

EJ,

I read somewhere that Zimerman will never tour US again after US custom destroyed his beloved Steinway piano!

Horowitz used to get a criticism for his selection of Steinway, but I'd rather like the sound of it.

P.S. Bronfman at least did not sit on the piano which for sure the instrument to the ground. ( literally )

EJS posted:

Kuma, yes! For a Steinway, the bass is light and a bit muddy and as you say, the upper register clangy. It fits his style well, though. I remember Alfred Brendel similarly having his own 'sound', although apparently what he did was rub the felt on the hammers - apparently to the dismay of the pianist who played the same piano on the following night! 

Horowitz's piano:

It's interesting that even tho Maestro not playing, his piano gives the voice of the Horowitz.

Beethoven Symphony NO.3: Bernstein/Vienna Phil

I think Lenny did the best work with Vienna Phil away from NYP. I am liking this measured ( for Lenny anyways ) Eroica. As always, full of row human emotions but less corn balls and the Vienna Phil brings aristocratic elegance.

Beethoven Symphony No.3: Günter Wand/NDR-Sinfonieorchester

Excellent digital remaster. Spacious and great frequency extension from a redbook. Seamless top to bottom with greater than usual dynamics and capturing good amount of low level details. This whole set is a great example of CD reproduction done right. I'd reckon this CD will sound even better streamed via a decent DAC.

Beautiful layers of tonal shading yet remains transluscent. Agreat agility with many twists and turns to keep the momentum going.

A + 3 | WAV

(June 2017)

CORE is dynamic convergence of Steve's most essential organic, electronic, rhythmic and atmospheric elements. "With this release, Roach revives the stylish opulence, nostalgic grandeur, and poetic refinement of his sequencer-based electronic music of the seventies and eighties." - Review excerpt from Ben Kettlewell - Alternate Music Press

Likes (20)
dave marshallLifesabreezemurrayatuptownKeanoKingmichael1702Alan McGovernDUPREEEoinkTimmo1341Ivo BBert Schurinkdav301ZauberbergSlim68ted_pHaim RonenKello101RedkevMDSClive B