What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIII)

ewemon posted:
nigelb posted:
ewemon posted:

What a lovely album. I am enjoying this one very much.

Nice tip Ewen - cheers. 

He has a new one just out. I have a copy but haven't listened to it yet.

Stu Larsen - Resolute. I assume you are referring to this, released a couple of days ago.

Amazingly, having only been released a couple of days ago, I am listening to it now on Tidal. It is a more serious effort than Vagabond, but still enjoyable for different reasons. This gentleman seems to be evolving his style very effectively. I like his music.

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750):  French Suites BWV 812-817

Vladimir Ashkenazy (piano) vs. Murray Perahia (piano)

So this is a tough one.  I never like pitting one player against the other as one has to use their 'opinion' to weigh various components and eventually pick a winner.  In the end, it is meaningless as in a world full of opinions it can unfairly tilt the balance.  I will say for certain that both artists are exceptional and have proven themselves time and time again over the course of decades.

I listened to the Ashkenazy twice today for the first time and while this recording is good and has many good points worth mentioning my overall impression is that Ashkenazy's heart is not totally connected with the music.  It may be his view of Bach and stylistic choices but whatever the case it feels a little cold and mechanical.  Tempos are quick standard for the most part but here and there he decides to go faster than I prefer.

Perahia on the other hand has a slightly different view of Bach and one that I prefer over the Ashkenazy.  Warmer and richer in musical meaning you can see that Ashkenazy stays with a straightforward, non evasive view of just presenting the text but avoiding having an opinion about it.  Kind of like a harpsichordist would tend to play it without any emotion.  Perahia is clearly in love with this music and clearly has played and performed this music much more.  Certainly they are both competent players but what I mean is that Perahia's overall vision takes us to a different and much friendlier destiny.   

Of course, I still have the Ashkenazy and others as it is good to see what you can learn from all types of viewpoints but it is the Perahia that will remain one of my favourite recordings.

Florestan posted:
VladtheImpala posted:
Florestan posted:

Steven Osborne (Piano) 
Pictures from an Exhibition, by Modest Mussorgsky  | Sarcasms, Op. 17 by Sergei Prokofiev | Visions fugitives, Op. 22 by Sergei Prokofiev 

Six unconfirmed sources have told CNN and MSNBC that Prokofiev wrote the 10th Visions fugitives selection entitled "Ridicolosamente" after they accused him of colluding with the Trump campaign too.  He has since cancelled these two garbage cable news stations and avoids the so called progressive left crowd.

But what do you make of the music?

Given that this is Russian music and the Russian scene on the cover I don't want to be the first to say it but I think this should be investigated for any ties to Trump and his associates.  I am already under investigation and every movement surveilled and my words are being censored so if you get this message before it is deleted please keep yourself out of harms way and do not listen to this music.  Resist !  We must form a resistance !!!! 

Dear Florestan,

I believe your political views, as expressed in other parts of the Forum, are the source of some debate? Don't worry, any relationship with Russian music can be pardoned by a very senior US official.

Actually, I already have this on CD. Steven Osborne is a very fine British pianist, who has allegedly recorded and played in person music by a number of Russian composers. Anyone who knows that it is "..from an Exhibition" and not "..at an Exhibition" is clearly too knowledgeable about Russian and is thus deeply politically suspect

In any case, I do look forward to reading your reviews of music.

Regards,

Vlad 

.....next in the queue

The Last Days of Oakland - Fantastic Negrito

Fantastic Negrito - The Last Days of Oakland

Took a look at this after SONGSTREAM mentioned it above.

From the NPR review:  "Blues with a punk attitude" is the tagline on Fantastic Negrito's website, and it's not an empty slogan. The Bay Area singer-songwriter, a.k.a. Xavier Dphrepaulezz, infuses Last Days Of Oakland with slide guitar drenched in overdrive, not to mention a hard-bitten perspective on life, love, art, commerce, class and society. It's an outlook he's earned.

The ninth track on the album "Lost in a Crowd" beat out 7000 other entries to won him the NPR Tiny Desk Concert Contest.  Definitely worth a listen.

seakayaker posted:

This was something that Haim had played yesterday and looked interesting.....

Kenny Barron Trip - Minor Blues

Kenny Barron Trio - Minor Blues

.....and it is, lovely album, and to quote the wife, "this is fun."

Ordered it from Japan along another dozen Venus Jazz albums without asking my wife's permission.. If you get a chance try one of their Roland Hanna discs.

I am in 'the last recording prior to death' mode:

One of Sir Roland Hanna's last recordings prior to his death at the end of 2002 was this session for the Japanese Venus label. With seven of the 12 songs incorporating the word "dream" in their titles, it seemed to be a fitting title for the CD. Hanna is joined by bassist Paul West and drummer Eddie Locke, kicking off with a rollicking take of "When I Grow Too Old to Dream." The pianist and the bassist trade lines throughout the lush introduction to the infrequently heard "Street of Dreams." The joyful interpretation of "This Time the Dream's on Me" (a favorite of Marian McPartland) and swinging treatment of "Dream" are also highlights. The "non-dream" tracks include a lullaby-like arrangement of "A Sleepin' Bee" and a toe-tapping "I Hear a Rhapsody." Highly recommended.(AllMusic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ydE-hWPnI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=918AZTt5i8k

Haim Ronen posted:
seakayaker posted:

This was something that Haim had played yesterday and looked interesting.....

Kenny Barron Trip - Minor Blues

Kenny Barron Trio - Minor Blues

.....and it is, lovely album, and to quote the wife, "this is fun."

Ordered it from Japan along another dozen Venus Jazz albums without asking my wife's permission.. If you get a chance try one of their Roland Hanna discs.

.....living dangerously I see!

I plan on checking out some for of Kenny Barrow and have just found a Roland Hanna album 'Solo Piano' and have just started listening to the first track. Thanks for the suggestions.

Collective Soul. Disciplined Breakdown. On CD from 1997. The band definitely established their own distinct and credible sound signature in the 1990s pop/rock/alternative genre. A comfortable listen, though the individual tracks tend to run formulaic over the whole of the album.

Add Reply