What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Filipe posted:
SNIP

Interestingly, Led Zeppelin started life as the Yardbirds. Yea, I heard of them but never got into names of group members. Apparently, Percy is to do with Plant creating a stage persona with his long blonde hair, bare chest, colourful outfits, swagger and bravado. Just a bit of trivia.

Phil

I'd put it differently Phil. John Paul Jones was a session man, Bonham and Plan were in Band of Joy, as far as I remember Jimmy Page was the only Yardbird, and he was also a session man. JPJ and Page started pulling a band together when the Yardbirds folded, they briefly called themselves the New Yardbirds to fulfil some Yardbirds contractual gigs. But really there wasn't much linkage otherwise. The Yardbirds was a great band for kickstarting guitarists, they had Page, Clapton and Beck, about as stellar as you could get.

Eoink posted:
Muttonjef posted:

Apologies if this is a daft question but how do I upload pictures?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, the FAQ covers it, see link below. I think most of us use imgur and upload to there, I do because I struggle on my iDevices to get the straight web link to work for reasons I'm too lazy to try to understand.

http://forums.naimaudio.com/to...web-into-your-post-1

Many thanks and apologies I should have have checked the FAQ

Eoink posted:
Filipe posted:
SNIP

Interestingly, Led Zeppelin started life as the Yardbirds. Yea, I heard of them but never got into names of group members. Apparently, Percy is to do with Plant creating a stage persona with his long blonde hair, bare chest, colourful outfits, swagger and bravado. Just a bit of trivia.

Phil

I'd put it differently Phil. John Paul Jones was a session man, Bonham and Plan were in Band of Joy, as far as I remember Jimmy Page was the only Yardbird, and he was also a session man. JPJ and Page started pulling a band together when the Yardbirds folded, they briefly called themselves the New Yardbirds to fulfil some Yardbirds contractual gigs. But really there wasn't much linkage otherwise. The Yardbirds was a great band for kickstarting guitarists, they had Page, Clapton and Beck, about as stellar as you could get.

Eosin, I was almost right. When Page met Plant was at the end of the Yardbirds. Didn’t realise Clapton and Jeff? Beck were in the Yardbirds. I find it interesting to understand the evolution.

Percy was into blues in his earlies days before Led Zeppelin. Not surprising he a Alison Kraus worked together.

Phil

Filipe posted:
E

Eosin, I was almost right. When Page met Plant was at the end of the Yardbirds. Didn’t realise Clapton and Jeff? Beck were in the Yardbirds. I find it interesting to understand the evolution.

Percy was into blues in his earlies days before Led Zeppelin. Not surprising he a Alison Kraus worked together.

Phil

Hi Phil, they weren't all in the band at the same time. Clapton was their original axeman, he left to be replaced by Beck, Page joined on bass briefly before a short time with Beck/page dual lead, and then Beck left and the final incarnation ad Page as the sole lead guitar. Have a look on Tidal for Happenings Ten years Time Ago, I think aboutthe only recording of the Beck/Page lineup, it's a wall of noise style psychedelic track well before its time.

It's a fascinating period of music to get in to, Bonham and Plant came from the Birmingham rock scene (which was pretty big in its own right), but there was the massive London scene of the "Swinging Sixties", so there was a lot of cross-fertilisation and band-swapping happening, and they all knew each other and went to each other's gigs.

Eoink posted:
Filipe posted:
E

Phil

Hi Phil, they weren't all in the band at the same time. Clapton was their original axeman, he left to be replaced by Beck, Page joined on bass briefly before a short time with Beck/page dual lead, and then Beck left and the final incarnation ad Page as the sole lead guitar. Have a look on Tidal for Happenings Ten years Time Ago, I think aboutthe only recording of the Beck/Page lineup, it's a wall of noise style psychedelic track well before its time.

It's a fascinating period of music to get in to, Bonham and Plant came from the Birmingham rock scene (which was pretty big in its own right), but there was the massive London scene of the "Swinging Sixties", so there was a lot of cross-fertilisation and band-swapping happening, and they all knew each other and went to each other's gigs.

Phil,  if it’s mostly the blues elements of LZ that you like (especially the first and second albums), you really ought to get to hear the albums ‘Truth’ and ‘Beck-Ola’ by Jeff Beck, featuring Rod Stewart on vocal. It was reported that Beck accused Page of stealing the style which he had created in these albums. 

The Sound of SKA

(1997)

Fun, bouncy SKA from a bunch of the old favourites on the Black & White label, this has a surprisingly very decent sound quality. Mirror in the Bathroom was always one of those tunes that I could never get out of my head once I had heard it anywhere.

Clive B posted:
Eoink posted:
Filipe posted:
E

Phil

Phil,  if it’s mostly the blues elements of LZ that you like (especially the first and second albums), you really ought to get to hear the albums ‘Truth’ and ‘Beck-Ola’ by Jeff Beck, featuring Rod Stewart on vocal. It was reported that Beck accused Page of stealing the style which he had created in these albums. 

Clive, LZ II is my favourite so far. III doesn’t  do anything so far. I’ll give your recommendations a go on TIDAL. Thanks.

Phil

Filipe posted:

Clive, LZ II is my favourite so far. III doesn’t  do anything so far. I’ll give your recommendations a go on TIDAL. Thanks.

Phil

But surely you must like the minor blues, 'Since I've Been Loving You' from the third album. It is one of the band's highlights, particularly Page's guitar solo.

Stevee_S posted:
Tony2011 posted:

1996 - CD (rip)...

That's an interesting one Tony, lots of good names on there.

Yep, a nice chilled compilation, Steve. Sometimes you just want to sit back  enjoy a drink or two quietly without  bothering what to listen to next. 

Add Reply

Likes (11)
PcdTabby catGazzanigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev