What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

A sad day for Blues Lovers - Paul Jones last ever Hour of Rhythm and Blues tonight.Feel really sad about his retirement.Thanks Paul for getting me into artists that I'd never heard of before in the Blues world

Listening on NAT 01 - Recording on TDK  SA -X  - Nakamichi CR 7 E

http://www.rubyturner.com/web_archive/misc/tv-radio-broadcasts/2009-09-bbc-radio-2-paul-jones/logo-240x200-radio-2-paul-jones.jpg

Tabby cat posted:

A sad day for Blues Lovers - Paul Jones last ever Hour of Rhythm and Blues tonight.Feel really sad about his retirement.Thanks Paul for getting me into artists that I'd never heard of before in the Blues world

Thanks for the reminder. I'll switch over to a Radio 2 now.

EDIT: Sounding mighty fine here!

Clive B posted:
Tabby cat posted:

Thanks for the reminder. I'll switch over to a Radio 2 now.

EDIT: Sounding mighty fine here!

Clive,

Lovely show from Paul tonight thought Eric Bibb in session was stunning,don't know about you mate but you could really hear the strings on his guitar....One of those in your room moments.I know its a bit of a cliche that expression,but tonight the 01 served it up and some.It will be strange not having Paul on the airwaves again - 32 years.

Pleased I recorded that show - Thought it was great starting the show with his first ever blues program broadcast.

Having Eric Bibb on was special as my brother in law was his manager for 8 years and met Eric many times and hes a good guy.

Cheers Ian 

Earlier I heard a marvellous edition of BBC Radio 4's Soul Music, devoted to Debussy's ravishing, langorous tone poem Prélude a l'après Midi d'un Faune - one of the most radical compositions of the 19th Century, and one whose influence can still be felt today - so dug out this famous 1962 Decca recording by Monteux and the LSO. A fabulous-sounding vinyl reissue on the Speaker's Corner label...

Duo Amadé - Mozart Duo Violin Sonatas Vol. 2- WAV CD rip

One of the CDs I bought in the Chandos sale which all arrived today, having accidentally bought 2 copies of this instead of getting Vol. 3 (ordered today), I took it as a sign to play it. These are wonderful compositions, ravishingly beautiful lines over dancing Mozartian keyboard writing. Catherine Mackintosh is fantastic on the fiddle, lovely tone and flow, Geoffrey Gozier is a fine accompanist on fortepiano  giving the music “bounce”, well,worth £5 for 2 copies.

Piet Kee, Bach Organ Works Vol. 4,WAV CD rip

Another new arrival from my Chandos haul, sounding very good on the Nova/PMC setup. Majestic music played extremely well, I’ve wound the volume up and the low notes are reverberating, fantastic stuff. 

An old favourite who I saw many times live back in his prog-rock heyday, I've collected most of his better works over the years.     "Heavy Horses" is Ian Anderson taking Tull into folk rock,  & although unmistakably Tull, folk rock is probably where he always wanted to be & especially so suited with his flute.   You either like Tull or not,  this in my opinion is up there with Aqualung & Thick as a Brick.     I spotted this Steven Wilson remix as a new release & at first didn't realise it had extra tracks & some previously unreleased.   Also I've been impressed with Steven Wilson remixing in Aqualung,  so in for a penny & downloaded a 24/96 WAV.  First listen tonite & straight off its a worthwhile improvement over my old CD rip; voice, lead instruments & drums are more detailed & have better dynamics that make them stand out more in the mix,  a very nice SQ improvement of the original & the new tracks are outstanding.

Goldfrapp - Black Cherry - CD

A Goldfrapp day. Hearing it now with much more depth and body to the sound. Good job I posted this cover rather than the multimedia one! Great electronic sounds. My son used to help at Glastonbury where Goldfrapp has appeared quite often. His favourite. I have Felt Mountain and Supernature as well.

Phil

The Music Collection - Hummel, Schubert Piano Quintets, WAV CD rip

Another CD that arrived today from the Chandos sale. The Hummel Quintet is a lovely piece, with a joyous ending, this performance flows nicely and the final movement is vivacious and joyful. The Schubert Trout is a bit more problematic for me, a slightly odd recording, a bit shouty in the mid- range and yet the piano seems a bit lost in the mix.  Perhaps because of this the performance seems a bit flat as well, lacking some of the joie de vivre of the music. Not to say it’s  unenjoyable, it would take special effort to make  the Trout anything but lovely, but a slightly disappointing version.

(This sounded a bit like some of the comments about the 2.6 firmware upgrade from those who found it had a negative impact on their systems, so I wondered if this was me hearing the same issues (on a Nova). A quick Google found a Gramophone review and one from an Irish paper, both criticised the acoustic/instrument tone and the performance, so I don’t think it’s the Nova. Indeed I think they were a bit harsh on the Hummel.)

seakayaker posted:

Now Playing......

Robin McKelle - Melodic Canvas

Robin McKelle - Melodic Canvas

Streaming on TIDAL....... Going with the mention from EWEMON above and taking Robin out for a spin......

Streaming on Tidal too.     I had almost no time for music during a few days and it took me hours to see what were all of you listening.  What good albums posted during that time!  A lot new to me, like this one, TYVM.

Borodin Trio, Beethoven Archduke Trio WAV CD rip

Last of the night, another Chandos sale snip. Decided to treat myself,to one of my favourite pieces of music, the Archduke piano trio is a massive work,  around 45 minutes, with moments of pure joy, a great structure making the whole piece a fantastic listening experience. The Borodins give a nice reading here, giving great insight into the overall shape, and playing beautifully.  This 4 CD box set is £85 on the river, and £7.50 if they have any left at Chandos, a complete bargain there.

Now Playing..........

Kristjan Randalu - Absence

Kristjan Randalu - Absence

Kristjan Randalu (piano), Ben Monder (electric guitar), and Markku Ounaskari (drums).

Streaming on NAS........  Arrived in the mail today, ripped to NAS and taking out for a spin. A recent listen on TIDAL and I enjoyed it and placed the order, love the interplay between piano, guitar and drums.

Steve Winwood. Back In The High Life. On original vinyl from 1986. Exemplary SQ and a splendid example of just how good mainstream vinyl production had got when about to usurped by the CD. The music is every bit as good and the strong percussion provides a great accompanying drive to Winwood's keyboards and synthesizers throughout the album.

ewemon posted:
ChrisH posted:
ewemon posted:

Some rough studio work for their up and coming album due out later this year.

Where do I find that @ewemon ? As you saw in my post yesterday, loving the first album.

They are not available anywhere.

Fair do's. I've got something to look forward to later in the year then, keep me posted!

Add Reply

Likes (10)
Gazzadave marshallnigelbSlim68Ivo BHaim RonenClive BMDSjames nRedkev