What DVD have you just watched?

I used to watch a lot of DVDs & Blu-Ray discs, especially in late 2016 when I was at home convalescing after a bad hip infection,  followed by a hip replacement.  One movie that I watched really stood out, and gives me the creeps even now - Robert Eggers' The Witch.  British accents so thick I had to turn on subtitles.  It's about a family in very early America that get kicked out of their village & who must then fare for themselves in a field bordering a deep, dark woods.  Things start to happen, none of them any good for the family.  Very eerie, very disturbing.  No Hollywood special effects (for the most part), just good acting and a great story line.  Spoiler alert - not a happy ending, but definitely one that suits the movie.  I remember watching it several times in a row, starting mid-evening and continuing late into the night.  Each subsequent view added to my sense of dread.  I don't scare easily, but this one got under my skin.  Needless to say the next movie I watched was a comedy.  Highly recommended.

Related image

Based on the unbelievable, but true events, I, TONYA is a darkly comedic tale of American figure skater, Tonya Harding, and one of the most sensational scandals in sports history. Though Harding was the first American woman to complete a triple axel in competition, her legacy was forever defined by her association with an infamous, ill-conceived, and even more poorly executed attack on fellow Olympic competitor Nancy Kerrigan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXZQ5DfSAAc

Watched this last night and was extremely disappointed.

For me it didn't represent scale of the tragedy and subsequent evacuation. 

I have a friend who was with the 51st Highland Div when he was captured at St Valery and imprisoned for the rest of the war.

Listening to him is scary about what they went through during the campaign.

Thank god I never have had to fight a war.

The CD of this concert is an excellent listen, but being able to watch the performances on the DVD is simply fantastic. The jamming is awesome, look out for a very young Springsteen, Brian Ferry on vocals and a set of backing singers to die for. Lots of other big names and great musicians too. Orby is (IMO) under-rated as a guitarist and he is at his best on here. You can sample it on YouTube as well ...

Add Reply

Likes (1)
Haim Ronen