what hi-fi 19 best amplifiers

wenger2015 posted:

In my experience some reviews are paid for..... and some are not.

Is that 'experience' real-life, actually lived experience; or 'this bloke down the pub's friend of his neighbour's cousin's mate read about it on the internet' experience? Can you name names? I think everyone would be very interested in knowing more about the brands and title involved.

Shall I wait with bated breath, or not bother?

feeling_zen posted:

Like many here, the A60 was my first proper amp.

But all with a grain of salt. The 282, for example, has not been reviewed in the English language press to the best of my knowledge. It can only be a list of what graced their desk.

given how well regarded it is in the Naim line-up, it's quite strange it's never been reviewed ?

the 202 and 252 got the what hi-fi reviews (both 5 stars)

Why 19 amps I ask myself. Answer: because What Hifi is a random list generator. And here is the proof:-

12 of the listed amps are from this century. Ok.

What HiFi have another feature called the best amps of the 21st century, featuring 13 amps. Ah, that list  goes up to 2017, whereas the 19 best in the past 40 years only goes up to 2016, so, I hear you assume, that accounts for the difference, 12 in each list to 2016 then. Yes, indeed ...but here is the amazing fact: not a single amp appears in both lists! 

Conclusion: What Hifi is a random list generator, and you can safely ignore any and all inclusions or exclusions, and so no need to sell off your current amp to buy one from the list(s).

Kevin-W posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Is that 'experience' real-life, actually lived experience; or 'this bloke down the pub's friend of his neighbour's cousin's mate read about it on the internet' experience? Can you name names? I think everyone would be very interested in knowing more about the brands and title involved.

In my humble opinion it’s always best to just make up ones own mind. 

wenger2015 posted:
Kevin-W posted:
wenger2015 posted:

I was told by a rep of a British brand that regularly gets 5 stars in What HiFi, that money does not change hands. However, they went on to admit that there is a clear relationship with ratings and how much face time they put in at the publication's offices, the fancy dinners they take staff to and how chummy in general they get with the publication staff and the fringe incentives they creatively come up with.

And no, the name of the brand cannot be pried out of me.

feeling_zen posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Kevin-W posted:
wenger2015 posted:

I was told by a rep of a British brand that regularly gets 5 stars in What HiFi, that money does not change hands. However, they went on to admit that there is a clear relationship with ratings and how much face time they put in at the publication's offices, the fancy dinners they take staff to and how chummy in general they get with the publication staff and the fringe incentives they creatively come up with.

And no, the name of the brand cannot be pried out of me.

But I can think of some very large market positioning  organisations in the Corporate space where exactly the same principle applies... 

JedT posted:

Money doesn't have to change hands directly does it? It just becomes apparent that if you don't advertise regularly you don't get reviewed much.

Linn and Rega spend virtually nothing on advertising in any publication these days, and don't seem to have any trouble getting coverage or good reviews...

...another conspiracy theory bites the dust.

this list make me smile, they are ridiculous; there is no such ranking, there is the best amplifier that works best with the speakers that are most suitable specs for them and the rest of the set up. 

you can make a list of the best selling amplifiers but not the best ones in an absolute way

I agree. I would never have a second thought about buying a component that was poorly reviewed if it worked in a system.

Customers would often come in who just wanted to demo What Hi-Fi 5 star components. And back in the 90's Linn was king of the 2-3 star review. I often had to explain to customers that these publications like What Hi-Fi are emphatically NOT in the Hi-Fi industry.They're in the journalism industry and as such what they write about Hi-Fi is not gospel. If you could convince them to put their rolled up copy of WHF down and hear what was playing in the dem room, you were over the big hurdle.

Of course there was a sufficient enough number who'd never let WHF out of their death grip and so staying in business meant stocking a strategic selection of 5 star winners we happened to also like.

Reading them is interesting. What Hi-Fi is like the HiFi publication equivalent of the National Enquirer. As such, there's a certain childish fun in reading it and looking at their winning product lists. But I'd not take anything it says seriously. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)