What new releases are you looking forward to?

Read an interesting article in The Absolute Sound, January 2018, issue 279, regarding the recording of a soon-to-be-released Reference Recordings (label) of all-Rachmaninov program including the Trio No. 2 in D Minor (attn: Doug, aka Florestan).  I was at amazon and the Reference Recordings site (they do downloads) and don't see it available yet.

Bert Schurink posted:

Very very very very much looking forward to this one in March...

Editorial reviews

"The group colloquially known as the Standards trio has made many outstanding recordings, and After The Fall must rank with the very best of them. I was amazed to hear how well the music worked, writes Keith Jarrett in his liner note. For me, its not only a historical document, but a truly great concert. This performance in Newark, New Jersey in November 1998 marked Jarretts return to the concert stage after a two year hiatus. Joined by improvising partners Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette, he glides and soars through classics of the Great American Songbook including The Masquerade Is Over, Autumn Leaves, When I Fall In Love and Ill See You Again. There are also breath-taking accounts of hallowed bebop tunes including Charlie Parkers Scrapple From The Apple, Bud Powells Bouncin With Bud and Sonny Rollins Doxy."

amazon.com

Can't wait.

Dave

dave4jazz posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

Very very very very much looking forward to this one in March...

Editorial reviews

"The group colloquially known as the Standards trio has made many outstanding recordings, and After The Fall must rank with the very best of them. I was amazed to hear how well the music worked, writes Keith Jarrett in his liner note. For me, its not only a historical document, but a truly great concert. This performance in Newark, New Jersey in November 1998 marked Jarretts return to the concert stage after a two year hiatus. Joined by improvising partners Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette, he glides and soars through classics of the Great American Songbook including The Masquerade Is Over, Autumn Leaves, When I Fall In Love and Ill See You Again. There are also breath-taking accounts of hallowed bebop tunes including Charlie Parkers Scrapple From The Apple, Bud Powells Bouncin With Bud and Sonny Rollins Doxy."

amazon.com

Can't wait.

Dave

It will be a recording of the November 14, 1998 concert at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark.

The tracklist should be as follows:

CD 1

1. The Masquerade Is Over
  2. Scrapple From The Apple
  3. Old Folks
  4. Autumn Leaves

CD 2

1. Bouncin’ With Bud
  2. Doxy
  3. I’ll See You Again
  4. Late Lament
  5. One For Majid
  6. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
  7. Moment’s Notice
  8. When I Fall In Love

KeithJarrett.org

Just got an email from PledgeMusic, Percy and the Space Shifters live DVD, out 9th February. Track listing:

1. Poor Howard
2. Turn It Up
3. Black Dog
4. Medley: The Enchanter / Rainbow
5. Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You
6. Little Maggie
7. Medley: Hoochie Coochie Man / Whole Lotta Love / Mona
8. Going To California

V. by Wooden Shjips due out on 25th May

"Wooden Shjips, long-time leaders of the contemporary psychedelic movement, expand their sound with V. The quartet of Omar Ahsanuddin, Dusty Jermier, Nash Whalen and Ripley Johnson augment their already rich sound with laid back, classic summer songs. The songs were written during the summer of 2017 by singer and guitarist Ripley Johnson as an antidote to the pervasive anxiety both political and natural. As Ripley tells it, “We had huge forest fires just outside of Portland and there was intense haze and layers of ash in the city. I was sitting on my porch every evening, watching ash fall down like snow, the sky looking like it was on fire. It was an apocalyptic feeling. Summer in Portland is usually really chill and beautiful, and we were working on a ‘summer record,’ but the outside world kept intruding on my headspace.” V., a graphic representation of the Peace sign, seemed apt to an album focused on the power of peace, beauty and resistance. The music is a balm against the noise and negativity." - bandcamp blurb 

Bert Schurink posted:

+1 

From the  non-such website: Brad Mehldau's After Bach is due March 9, 2018, on Nonesuch Records. The album comprises the pianist/composer's recordings of four preludes and one fugue from J.S. Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, each followed by an After Bach piece written by Mehldau and inspired by its WTC mate. The album begins with Mehldau's own "Before Bach: Benediction" and ends with his "Prayer for Healing."

Add Reply

Likes (4)
DozeyBert Schurinkmatt podniesinskiBruce Woodhouse