What's been the Best cd / album you have discovered this year 2016?

Mike-B posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

I thought the remaster OK, not blown me away but definitely recommend 'Rythm of The Saints' remaster. The extra tracks are really worthwhile I thought.

Not disagreeing Bruce, maybe its my affinity with SA that makes Graceland better for me,  but that said for me all Paul Simon material is good.   What Graceland remaster do you have,  mine is 24-bit 17 tracks & 1:08 hrs,   the CD version is 14 tracks.  OK the extra 3 tracks are unreleased versions of other tracks & the last track is 9 minutes "The Story of Graceland as told by Paul Simon" is not exactly music.     

Anniversary LP is even better Mike It's an album I grew up - first heard it when it came out (still living in Poland) - so I know it inside out.

Haim Ronen posted:

A 2014 collaborative album by pianist Emil Viklický and bassist George Mraz. Both musicians are from the Czech Republic and their music is inspired by melodies and folk tunes from the home country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2noP-F4dLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAs480RRBT0

There is a U tube video I watched "Autumn Leaves" with John Faddis (t) & Emil Viklicky (p) in Czechoslovakia - I think both their solos are great - do not think it is available on CD or any other format 

Mike-B posted:
Pcd posted:
Dave, since I bought a NDX last year and upgraded my system earlier this
year I have bought more CDs and listened to and enjoying a greater variety
of music than ever.

With an NDX, why buy a Graceland CD,   why not the 25th anniversary remaster download???  

To tell you the truth never thought of downloading but as I can't get on with computers so I'll stick with ripping CDs.

Pcd posted:

To tell you the truth never thought of downloading but as I can't get on with computers so I'll stick with ripping CDs.

Don't understand that,  NDX & your NAS can do so much more - you have a sports car & are using it for shopping trips.  You seem to be OK reading & posting on the forum with a computer & ripping CD's (??) requires some form of limited computer work.     You might try dipping your toe in the pond,  its remarkably easy.       

Pcd posted:
Mike, my NAS and CD ripping was all set up by my dealer I just click the
mouse but when it comes to anything apart from the basics I am totally lost
always have been.

Is there a very simple way to download ??

HD Tracks, Naim Label or LINN Label make sure you install a special download programme on your computer. As soon as you complete a transaction to buy an album on their website, the download then becomes availablel via the pre-installed programme.

Once the files are on your computer, it is as simple as moving them from one folder (your PC / MAC) to another folder (your NAS - typically a DOWNLOAD folder is used).

Pcd posted:
Mike, my NAS and CD ripping was all set up by my dealer I just click the mouse but when it comes to anything apart from the basics I am totally lost always have been.    Is there a very simple way to download ??

OK, I understand.    As Adam posted,   the various www download vendors have easy to use programs & I would add Qobuz & HighResAudio (especially)   I advise you have someone help you with this, I have done this for a buddy & it only took about an hour & most of that was watching him playing.  You seem to be able to play OK on this forum, so you are not that far away. 

Adam Zielinski posted:
Mike-B posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

I thought the remaster OK, not blown me away but definitely recommend 'Rythm of The Saints' remaster. The extra tracks are really worthwhile I thought.

Not disagreeing Bruce, maybe its my affinity with SA that makes Graceland better for me,  but that said for me all Paul Simon material is good.   What Graceland remaster do you have,  mine is 24-bit 17 tracks & 1:08 hrs,   the CD version is 14 tracks.  OK the extra 3 tracks are unreleased versions of other tracks & the last track is 9 minutes "The Story of Graceland as told by Paul Simon" is not exactly music.     

Anniversary LP is even better Mike It's an album I grew up - first heard it when it came out (still living in Poland) - so I know it inside out.

25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, High Res from Quboz. 17 tracks. 24bit 96khz. 

I think my slight reservation was about sound rather than content. Maybe the original is just too well recorded to really get a big lift from the remaster.

'Stranger to Stranger' has failed to really engage me this year. Bit patchy 

Graceland was the first album I heard through a serious HiFi. My mate's Dad had Linn Isobariks. Not sure but suspect the rest was Linn too. I remember it just shaking the room. I was hooked!

Based on your recommendations , I've so far purchased Manu katche... Neighbourhood,  Riverside.. Eye of the soundscape. John Mellencamps greatest hits, and The Pineapple Theif.. Magnolia... 

Many thanks for the recommendations, anymore will be much appreciated... 

After listening to Arctic Dub Sursumcorda net radio on my 'serve' .This station has been a shot in the arm. Deep electronic soundscapes to jingly vintage Dub workouts. What really gets my attention is when a song is dropped that just seems to encapsulate everything about emotive music that's wrought through a contemporary handle with new processes and sounds.

That this station plays so much songs of this nature, I am at a lost to really describe this type of genre. It is based in New York and as far as I am aware there are no mainstream venues playing out this type of downtempo music. Uniquely underground in a sense yet recognisable.  Some have called it dark wave. Funeralogical.Hauntalogical. Sad even.

For me it would have to be Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead. I hear something different almost every time I listen to it - voices, chimes, loops, backward loops, voices and instruments. They paint a real sonic picture that becomes more intricate the more you listen. 

A "new, old" recording that I picked up this year was Dave Brubeck's Time Out on 45rpm vinyl. Didn't realize how good vinyl could sound. 

Holmes posted:

Great thread and some home work to do as a result.

I've just edited this ! I made up my mind 

So far... it's Bree Tranter's Another night on Earth, tapping into a subconcious yearning for more early Portishead perhaps...

Bree Tranter - Another night on Earth

Very good. I have ordered the vinyl.

Andy

Kamera posted:
Holmes posted:

Great thread and some home work to do as a result.

I've just edited this ! I made up my mind 

So far... it's Bree Tranter's Another night on Earth, tapping into a subconcious yearning for more early Portishead perhaps...

Bree Tranter - Another night on Earth

Very good. I have ordered the vinyl.

Andy

I'm going to be ordering the cd...happy days

Very good.  Recommendation from my precocious young son. 

All Japanese Death Jazz combination of jazz and rap.  Another nice rec from the lad.

Not really my thing but a remarkable effort and I appreciate it.

A lot of fun if you remember these from the radio and a great collection.

This year's selection make me more thankful every day for my commitment to physical media.

Skip posted:

Very good.  Recommendation from my precocious young son. 

All Japanese Death Jazz combination of jazz and rap.  Another nice rec from the lad.

Not really my thing but a remarkable effort and I appreciate it.

A lot of fun if you remember these from the radio and a great collection.

This year's selection make me more thankful every day for my commitment to physical media.

Some very interesting recommendations, will be checking these out...