What Streaming System can perform better than a CDX2 + XPSDR

cdboy posted:

Hi Phil. I just noticed your question above. I listen to most genres. Just yesterday I played Walton 2 (Karabits), Quincy Jones - The Quintessence,  and Anouar Brahem - Thimar in one session. I have thousands of CDs ripped. It took quite some time to convince me to undertake the ripping of the classical CDs as the metadata required effort (solved by using  dbPoweramp). Hence the time it took to part with the CDS3. Soundwise I lost nothing, gained convenience  and have not looked back. CDX2 was brutally honest compared to the CDS3, and occasionally missed as a result. But when the recording is good the CDS3 shone. Again the NDX/XPS DR was up to this level for me.

Enjoy your journey.

@cdboy Thank you for your response. I am moving away from my CDX2 gradually like you.

The ripping is not an issue as I have all my CDs ripped (I had the loan of a UnitiServe in autumn 2016 and opted for the Core which then had issues so I abandoned both). I have both on loan again, and should get the NDX and another XPSDR this week.

What is throwing everything up in the air is that I got a refurbished Cisco 2960 8tc (64 €) yesterday, and now the nDAC + UnitiServe SSD is sounding as good as the CDX2 + XPSDR! It seems to me that the nDAC is sensitive to its sources which the 2960 have improved. I guess the next step is to put the XPSDR and SL IC back on the nDAC. If I get a big improvement then the only thing from the NDX I might miss is TIDAL. Some say TIDAL is not as good as streaming your own music though.

So I have to decide whether NDX with its inferior DAC to the nDAC is worth the money. The White papers for NDS, NDX and nDAC reveal that NDS and nDAC use the same DAC chip. Best to try NDX.

Phil

Filipe

i had a similar question for my dealer a few years ago - system was then CDX2/XPS/202/200/HCDR, and i wanted to move over to digital - thought then was either 272 or NDX, due to pre AMP and vinyl replay - (also have LP12) I went down the NDX route and dont regreat it for one moment - i just seem to get more music out of the NDX - i have now upgraded both pre and AMP to 282/HCDR/300 (off to be DR at end of month)

my NAS is QNAP and i use Asset through NAIM app on my Ipad which works really well, FLAC files which Asset transcodes to WAV ave been trying out some DSD files - another thread

in the end they are both great sources but for me having all of your music on your IPAD with no comprimise is great for me

enjoy the journey

antony d posted:

Filipe

i had a similar question for my dealer a few years ago - system was then CDX2/XPS/202/200/HCDR, and i wanted to move over to digital - thought then was either 272 or NDX, due to pre AMP and vinyl replay - (also have LP12) I went down the NDX route and dont regreat it for one moment - i just seem to get more music out of the NDX - i have now upgraded both pre and AMP to 282/HCDR/300 (off to be DR at end of month)

my NAS is QNAP and i use Asset through NAIM app on my Ipad which works really well, FLAC files which Asset transcodes to WAV ave been trying out some DSD files - another thread

in the end they are both great sources but for me having all of your music on your IPAD with no comprimise is great for me

enjoy the journey

Hi Antony

We have similar systems, and possibly the same dealer chain. Two years ago my first Naim box was a Uniti 2, but I quickly returned it as I decided to go down the separates route.

I didn’t get round to trying TIDAL then. Do you use TIDAL, and if so how does it compare with CDs you stream?

Definitely enjoying the journey

Phil

Hi Antony

We have similar systems, and possibly the same dealer chain. Two years ago my first Naim box was a Uniti 2, but I quickly returned it as I decided to go down the separates route.

I didn’t get round to trying TIDAL then. Do you use TIDAL, and if so how does it compare with CDs you stream?

Phil

Phil

those boys in L'ster have looked after me from the start, I do stream to be honest 

I listen to a lot of IRADIO either Paradise on 320 or Radio 6 Music , apart from my LP12 all of my music is losses FLAC through QNAP - really like the presentation esp at the higher bite rates - nearly all of which are superb recordings also tried DSD jury is still out on that format at the moment

found riping the CD's easy with dBpoweramp rip once rip right - and back up reguarly

antony d posted:

Hi Antony

Phil

Phil

those boys in L'ster have looked after me from the start, I do stream to be honest 

I listen to a lot of IRADIO either Paradise on 320 or Radio 6 Music , apart from my LP12 all of my music is losses FLAC through QNAP - really like the presentation esp at the higher bite rates - nearly all of which are superb recordings also tried DSD jury is still out on that format at the moment

found riping the CD's easy with dBpoweramp rip once rip right - and back up reguarly

My dealer is closer to me. I’m very happy with my RP10. About to try the Core instead of the UnitiServe.

Phil

Likes (0)