what was the last cd you bought?

Originally Posted by KeanoKing:

Hi Flettster,

Looks like it is going to be a very musical Christmas for you!

I provided my better half with my wish list last night so looking forward to some new music myself.

atb

kk

Hi KK,

Hope you are well.

I haven't seen you post your purchases so much lately !. I always enjoy seeing what you are up to & purchasing some of your recommendations 

It will be a musical Christmas this year as long as the postal services live up to my expectations. I hope you enjoy yours.

I'm toying whether in the New Year to curb some of the CD purchases & save for a systems upgrade. I've been dreaming a lot lately about power leads, pre-amps, power supplies & even turntables (RP6). It's a worry !!!

Cheers

Flettster

Originally Posted by Flettster:
Originally Posted by KeanoKing:

Hi Flettster,

Looks like it is going to be a very musical Christmas for you!

I provided my better half with my wish list last night so looking forward to some new music myself.

atb

kk

Hi KK,

Hope you are well.

I haven't seen you post your purchases so much lately !. I always enjoy seeing what you are up to & purchasing some of your recommendations 

It will be a musical Christmas this year as long as the postal services live up to my expectations. I hope you enjoy yours.

I'm toying whether in the New Year to curb some of the CD purchases & save for a systems upgrade. I've been dreaming a lot lately about power leads, pre-amps, power supplies & even turntables (RP6). It's a worry !!!

Cheers

Flettster

Hi Flettster,

I will mail you later and catch up.

atb

kk

Eager to hear to this guy's Debussy after listening to his Ravel. These four discs represent the complete piano music of Debussy. Like Ravel, not all of this music is worth owning many times over but very cleverly Mr. Thibaudet put the Preludes in the first box and the Images (plus some of the best short works) in the second.

Cheers,

EJ

Originally Posted by kuma:

Know nothing of this piano player but Arkiv had a one day sale.

Figured it might be intersting to listen against Richter/Horowitz doing the same tunes.

This may sound strange, but: turn up the volume! It's essential to help bring out a brilliant, manic quality that Lewis injects in his - at first sight - smooth performances.

Cheers,

EJ 

Originally Posted by EJS:

Figured it might be intersting to listen against Richter/Horowitz doing the same tunes.

This may sound strange, but: turn up the volume! It's essential to help bring out a brilliant, manic quality that Lewis injects in his - at first sight - smooth performances.

EJ,

Since my CD555 is in the shop, i can only play this in my office rig, but generally really digging his style.

It's a wild ride trail blazing steroids charged performance.

Perhaps he's not as complex of a story teller as Richter, but I love his straight shootin' style.

The finale of track 9 is something else eh?

EJ,

Since my CD555 is in the shop, i can only play this in my office rig, but generally really digging his style.

It's a wild ride trail blazing steroids charged performance.

Perhaps he's not as complex of a story teller as Richter, but I love his straight shootin' style.

The finale of track 9 is something else eh?

Kuma,

Funny that you say that, it's not at all how Paul Lewis is known but I happen to agree with you. Not just this disc - his Beethoven exhibits many of the same qualities although to a less extreme extent. One of the most interesting pianists around today, and not just on disc.

EJ

Funny that you say that, it's not at all how Paul Lewis is known but I happen to agree with you. Not just this disc - his Beethoven exhibits many of the same qualities although to a less extreme extent. One of the most interesting pianists around today, and not just on disc.

EJ,

Is he like modern day Backhaus?

I love his Impromtus just as much as Richter's.

I might explore his Beethoven but I am taking a Schubert ride, atm.

Originally Posted by DenisA:

lo-fi resistance - A Deep Breath from cdbaby

A reviewrers comment... http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Bre...stance/dp/B003C1TUVE 

Songs like "Too Simple" show the blend of all things prog, smoking keyboards,flute sax,in a blend of ELP,King Crimson and a touch of that,remember, electric fusion.

Hi Stu,

Been playing this in the car this week and it gets better each play. I took a punt after seeing Gavin Harrison saying he contributed to a few tracks on Randy McStine's new album in 2012.
Lo-Fi Resistance is basically a one man band plus project. Randy McStine is the main force behind the music on ’A Deep Breath’. The styles cover pop,rock & prog, underpinned with solid songwriting. The range is so good, I'm thinking of an indie steve wilson

Here's a review - http://www.prognaut.com/reviews/lo-fi-resistance.html 

BTW, bought it from cdbaby.

This Mortal Coil : 

Just pre-viewed this box set on Amazon.Com music sampler.

There's a review in Hi-Fi World mag.

Mastered from the original analogue tapes at 24bit/96kHz.

HDCD encoded also, and apparently pressed as Japanese format CD's.

If you're a Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, Colourbox fan you may be interested.

There are also guest appearances from Buzzcocks' Howard Devoto and others.

Not cheap at £78 (Amazon UK) , but cheaper than the £105 indicated in the mag. 

P.S. There will be an audio/video Blue-ray disc release soon with an extra track variant of 'Kangeroo' 

Add Reply

Likes (7)
Innocent BystanderIvo BHaim RonenDarkWhisperpaddyragzmatt podniesinskiFormer Member