What was the last vinyl you bought?

I'm going backwards in Joe's catalogue having started with Civilised Man, then Sheffield Steel...and onwards to this one on the MoV label. Having watched a doc on Joe on Sky Arts (IIRC) it was a shame that the programme didn't profile either CM or SS - I can only imagine this was because Joe changed labels (I think to Island) and the programme maker didn't have the rights.  

Kevin-W posted:

Latest in the series of PFR reissues:

I'm surprised they chose to re-issue this album as I always considered it a silly commercial grab. I have the original vinyl but was never inclined to play it beyond the first few listens. Maybe I need some insight?

Florestan posted:

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto Nos. 1 & 3 - Denis Matsuev (piano) | Valery Gergiev

I am waiting for their latest release of Rach 2 & Prok 2 which is just excellent.

Let me know the sound quality of Mariinsky pressing, please?

Following a visit to HMV armed with Christmas vouchers I bought Misplaced Childhood, 2017 remaster. Superbly quiet bit of vinyl, best in ages. One of Marillion’s better albums too.

Also Gary Moore Blues and Beyond. A blind buy to be listened to later. Four albums and lovely packaging though.

Stu

Well, not such a cheap Xmas for me  after I bought this box set.  

However, the good news is that (so far) it sounds great. Last night I listened to The Nightfly and Kamakiriad, the former an immaculate pressing and the latter only slightly less good (a smidge less flat but still excellent).  The sound is superb.  I have a couple of originals of The Nightfly and this may well be as good, or even better.  It has been a while since I played them, but I'd be very happy with this either way.  I don't have an original of Kamakiriad, but again the sound is top notch.  

The outer sleeve artwork looks really good, and you even get the printed inners too.  Only slight downer is that Morph The Cat, while on 2LPs, is not the original gatefold.  But, Sunken Condos is now on black vinyl, which should bode well for SQ. All in all, very happy with this set - and something of a re-affirmation that modern vinyl can still be well pressed, presented and sound awesome to boot.

So now dear Donald and Rhino, could we have a Steely Dan box set next xmas?

Arrived today from Amazon : )

Side One
Introduction DJ Chameleon [15:25]
Hang Up Your Hang-Ups [14:44]

Side Two
Maiden Voyage [7:24]
It Remains To Be Seen (B.Maupin) [13:35]

A four track digital remastered  four track album on 'HI-Hat' record label, very nice looking vinyl pressing, don't know what the Sonic Q is like yet, will give it a clean and play later. It's not often you get an LP with over half an hour of music time on each side, i'm impressed already. Plus a bargain bucket purchase price for £3.15 + £1.26 postage : )

Debs

naim_nymph posted:

It's not often you get an LP with over half an hour of music time on each side, i'm impressed already. 

Not necessarily a good thing. Longer sides need to be cut at a lower level, usually meaning surface noise becomes more apparent and dynamics get compressed. Some figures from a respected vinyl manufacturer: http://www.recordtech.com/time.htm

Still, under a fiver, can’t argue with that.

Motel Blues posted:
naim_nymph posted:

It's not often you get an LP with over half an hour of music time on each side, i'm impressed already. 

Not necessarily a good thing. Longer sides need to be cut at a lower level, usually meaning surface noise becomes more apparent and dynamics get compressed. Some figures from a respected vinyl manufacturer: http://www.recordtech.com/time.htm

Still, under a fiver, can’t argue with that.

Not necessarily a bad thing either : )

Actually the Herbie Hancock album in question is half an hour one side and 20 minutes other, i believe the digital remastering was overseen by Herbie H himself. The SQ is pretty decent okay for digital so no complaints here.

It has to be said, there are analogue pressings from the 60s & 70s which are true long players at around half an hour per side, and which have a sonic quality that easily out performs the average digital remastering of modern pressings. Vinyl manufacturers [respected or not] seem to have a common trend to reduce LP side playing times down in order to create more LPs for a given album, a double album instead of 1 x LP album may look more appealing to audiophiles, and even thought there maybe some truth in the theory of shorter playing sides can effect better quality grooves, in reality we rarely seem to be getting this so called better quality - just the shorter LP sides. One the worse cases that comes to my mind is the Grateful Dead  'Two From The Vaults' 4 x LP:

None of the LP sides are actually "long players", two sides less than 9 minutes, and the SQ is generally poor, okay it may of been partly due to live recording control but for whatever reason why expand a couple of hours of poor sonic quality music onto 8 LP sides?  Purchased it a few years back and so disgusted i sent it back for refund - quite right too.

What i'm saying is the length of each LP side should reasonably fit in the criteria of it being a long player IMO around 25 minutes and not a short 7 minute single with lots of  *space* left on the record surface.  With older analogue LP sonic quality which is proven to sound fantastic even if the LP sides are half an hour long we don't want to fall into the trap of paying more for less because it's better for music business profit margins : )

Debs

Add Reply

Likes (11)
Clive BVinyl GourmetNaijeruFangfossFlyernaim_nymphQuad 33Steve JSteve Capye!matt podniesinskistrainger