What was the last vinyl you bought?

naim_nymph posted:
Motel Blues posted:
naim_nymph posted:

It's not often you get an LP with over half an hour of music time on each side, i'm impressed already. 

Not necessarily a good thing. Longer sides need to be cut at a lower level, usually meaning surface noise becomes more apparent and dynamics get compressed. Some figures from a respected vinyl manufacturer: http://www.recordtech.com/time.htm

Still, under a fiver, can’t argue with that.

Not necessarily a bad thing either : )

Actually the Herbie Hancock album in question is half an hour one side and 20 minutes other, i believe the digital remastering was overseen by Herbie H himself. The SQ is pretty decent okay for digital so no complaints here.

It has to be said, there are analogue pressings from the 60s & 70s which are true long players at around half an hour per side, and which have a sonic quality that easily out performs the average digital remastering of modern pressings. Vinyl manufacturers [respected or not] seem to have a common trend to reduce LP side playing times down in order to create more LPs for a given album, a double album instead of 1 x LP album may look more appealing to audiophiles, and even thought there maybe some truth in the theory of shorter playing sides can effect better quality grooves, in reality we rarely seem to be getting this so called better quality - just the shorter LP sides. One the worse cases that comes to my mind is the Grateful Dead  'Two From The Vaults' 4 x LP:

None of the LP sides are actually "long players", two sides less than 9 minutes, and the SQ is generally poor, okay it may of been partly due to live recording control but for whatever reason why expand a couple of hours of poor sonic quality music onto 8 LP sides?  Purchased it a few years back and so disgusted i sent it back for refund - quite right too.

What i'm saying is the length of each LP side should reasonably fit in the criteria of it being a long player IMO around 25 minutes and not a short 7 minute single with lots of  *space* left on the record surface.  With older analogue LP sonic quality which is proven to sound fantastic even if the LP sides are half an hour long we don't want to fall into the trap of paying more for less because it's better for music business profit margins : )

Debs

how is the sound quality of this lp?   average or less?   thanks 

French Rooster posted:

I believe Herbie Hancock oversaw the digital remastering. Very good vibrant live sonics. Fabulous bass presence from Jaco Pastorius : )

Excellent buy for what i paid for it but the Amazon price has become too silly expensive now...

naim_nymph posted:
French Rooster posted:

I believe Herbie Hancock oversaw the digital remastering. Very good vibrant live sonics. Fabulous bass presence from Jaco Pastorius : )

Excellent buy for what i paid for it but the Amazon price has become too silly expensive now...

i heard the tracks on youtube, not the most inspired hancock but the only live with hancock and pastorius.  All the lps are not available from all amazon markets, so prices will increase.

I prefer to listen to 4 am album with pastorius and hancock and forget this one.  I will never pay a silly price for it.   

Premmyboy posted:
Richard Dane posted:
Dozey posted:

The Captain Beefheart Sun Zoom Spark box set for £20.

Wow.  Where was that?

Richard it’s available on vinyl for £21.99 on Amazon at the moment.

By the way, while I was there I saw that Kate Bush's Before the Dawn on vinyl was down to £25, so I ordered that too.

Richard Dane posted:
Premmyboy posted:
Richard Dane posted:
Dozey posted:

The Captain Beefheart Sun Zoom Spark box set for £20.

Wow.  Where was that?

Richard it’s available on vinyl for £21.99 on Amazon at the moment.

By the way, while I was there I saw that Kate Bush's Before the Dawn on vinyl was down to £25, so I ordered that too.

That is a bargain if it is the “limited” box set. Those SL2s are gonna get very boomy. Enjoy it.

kuma posted:
Florestan posted:

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto Nos. 1 & 3 - Denis Matsuev (piano) | Valery Gergiev

I am waiting for their latest release of Rach 2 & Prok 2 which is just excellent.

Let me know the sound quality of Mariinsky pressing, please?

Kuma, I still haven't received this yet but will catch up with you and let you know when it comes.

On the way - from Amazon uk. The price has been fluctuating up & down lately, presently down to £205.99 : )

The George Harrison Vinyl Collection box set features all of George Harrison’s solo studio albums in one collection for the first time to commemorate the musician’s birthday. The vinyl box set includes all twelve of George’s studio albums with exact replicas of the original release track listing and artwork.

Also included in the box set are George’s classic live album Live In Japan (2LP), and two 12” single picture discs of “When We Was Fab” and “Got My Mind Set On You.” All the discs are 180-gram heavyweight vinyl and are housed in a high-quality two-piece rigid slipcase box. The original analogue master tapes were used for the new re-masters and were cut at the legendary Capitol studios to ensure exceptional audio quality throughout.

George Harrison – The Vinyl Collection box set contents:

Wonderwall Music (1968) | 1 LP Electronic Sound (1969) | 1 LP All Things Must Pass (1970) | 3 LP Living In The Material World (1973) | 1 LP Dark Horse (1974) | 1 LP Extra Texture (1975) | 1 LP Thirty Three & 1/3 (1976) | 1LP George Harrison (1979) | 1 LP Somewhere in England (1981) | 1 LP Gone Troppo (1982) | 1 LP Cloud Nine (1987) | 1 LP Live In Japan (1992) | 2 LP Brainwashed (2002) | 1 LP Bonus 12” Picture Disc Singles of “When We Was Fab” and “Got My Mind Set On You”

Kevin, no sign of my Captain Beefheart Box yet, however, I returned from Dusseldorf to find that these had arrived;

Kate Bush - Before the Dawn 4LP set

Neil Young - On the Beach and Time Fades Away

Time Fades Away was a good deal at under a tenner.

Gillian Welch - The Harrow and The Harvest:

Talking Heads - Fear of Music;

I'm not sure how the last one compares with my fairly well played original, but it completes my recent reissue set of the first four TH albums.

I ordered a copy of the 2 x 45rpm LP Fleetwood Mac's Rumours a while back. 

It was coming from the US so I kind of forgot about it, but it was delivered on Friday, and so this evening I gave it a spin.  Oh boy... Side four is the killer; A new intro on Gold Dust Woman and it has never sounded better.  Time to dig out and clean my old regular copies to see just how "wow" this one really  is...

Richard Dane posted:

It was coming from the US so I kind of forgot about it, but it was delivered on Friday, and so this evening I gave it a spin.  Oh boy... Side four is the killer; A new intro on Gold Dust Woman and it has never sounded better.  Time to dig out and clean my old regular copies to see just how "wow" this one really  is...

One of the LP's of my youth I was a bit young at the time of release but discovered it in the 80's and have played it regularly since.  I have been lusting after one of these for a while but prices have become a bit inflated I will have to bite the bullet soon though.

Black Uhuru - Sinsimilla  

Sly and Robbie at their best.  I have discovered that for once the Back to Black vinyl series are actually better than the original in the case of another Black Uhuru LP - Red. I replaced my old quite tired copy unfortunately ( I didn't always take such great care of my vinyl) and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping Sinsimilla is as good a reissue.

Bob the Builder posted:
Richard Dane posted:

One of the LP's of my youth I was a bit young at the time of release but discovered it in the 80's and have played it regularly since.  I have been lusting after one of these for a while but prices have become a bit inflated I will have to bite the bullet soon though.

Just found a copy for $45 which is the better US version of this half speed release mastered at AccousTech and pressed at the Pallas pressing plant. Thanks for nudge Richard copies of this have been up for sale here in the UK for as much as £70.

Well done Bob, it's well worth tracking down the US version.

However, I've got bad news because good as this 45rpm cut of Rumours undoubtedly is, the 45rpm cut of its predecessor, Fleetwood Mac, is possibly even better. I couldn't resist, and listened last night...

Richard Dane posted:

Kevin, no sign of my Captain Beefheart Box yet, however, I returned from Dusseldorf to find that these had arrived;

Kate Bush - Before the Dawn 4LP set

Neil Young - On the Beach and Time Fades Away

Time Fades Away was a good deal at under a tenner.

Gillian Welch - The Harrow and The Harvest:

Talking Heads - Fear of Music;

I'm not sure how the last one compares with my fairly well played original, but it completes my recent reissue set of the first four TH albums.

Hi Richard, My Beefheart Box set finally turned up yesterday so I would guess yours should be arriving fairly shortly.

Prem.

For 150 smackers, this lavish box set was a bit of a bargain. The quality of presentation is extremely high, with splatter vinyl LPs, exact reproductions of original sleeves, two facsimilies of rare singles, books, posters, programmes, even a metal crucifix containing all the albums on digital files. Looking forward to hearing what the SQ's like.

Kevin-W posted:

For 150 smackers, this lavish box set was a bit of a bargain. The quality of presentation is extremely high, with splatter vinyl LPs, exact reproductions of original sleeves, two facsimilies of rare singles, books, posters, programmes, even a metal crucifix containing all the albums on digital files. Looking forward to hearing what the SQ's like.

Good catch Kevin, congratulations!  

Almost two years ago (it seems like both two decades ago and also two weeks ago) my youngest son decided he would leave university after two years and join the Navy.  Fast forward to end of 2016 and he's deployed on SSN-782 in the western pacific.  Due home from deployment in March, I get a call that he's flying in from Japan and will be marring his high school sweetheart in a "shotgun" wedding...from which they will hop in the car and drive from the west coast of the USA to the east coast and set up a nest.  All of this happened in 8 days, like a whirlwind.

Coming off the sub he was raving about George Harrison (apparently they have a lot of time to listen to music on deployment), and George this and George that and he's the best Beatle.  And I'm sure, yeah I like George, he's great...Hindu fella in the end.  I have Concert for Bangladesh and Concert for George, etc...sure Abbey Road...great guy.

Today I get this in the mail:

Guess he wants me to listen to George Harrison, so I have some record cleaning to do.

SITG

Prem, my Beefheart box finally arrived.  Haven't listened yet though.

In fact, tonight I did a little comparison between the European and the US 45rpm releases of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. The result?  An early knockout for the US version. The European one sounded lacklustre by comparison - like a blanket had been put over the speakers.  I guess in isolation it was OK, but the top and bottom ends were both distinctly lacking.  As soon as you compare with the US, it's obvious which is the better cut.

I also had another listen to Fleetwood Mac's earlier album, also on 2 x 45rpm records.  The sound quality here exceeds even that of the US Rumours. Very highly recommended. 

Add Reply

Likes (11)
Clive BVinyl GourmetNaijeruFangfossFlyernaim_nymphQuad 33Steve JSteve Capye!matt podniesinskistrainger