What wine are you drinking today ?

Chris, I'm sure it's just the thing.  

Right now I'm finishing off a bottle of 2013 Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon.  It's nothing special but it's a nice inexpensive wine that's probably one of the better examples for the price - in fact I'm sure there are some Cabs at 5 or 6 times the price that are no better, and possibly worse.  I bought a case a couple of years back and can't remember now what it cost, but it probably wasn't very much.

Image courtesy of Cellartracker.

Douglas Adams wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cab. Which he bought from me in Oddbins Islington Green (next to his office)

A bottle most days. But he frequently came into the shop to reward himself with something special, at the end of a chapter or after a particularly funny bit.

He was a great guy to chat to. We even got to go to a couple of his parties. 

rodwsmith posted:

Douglas Adams wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cab. Which he bought from me in Oddbins Islington Green (next to his office)

A bottle most days. But he frequently came into the shop to reward himself with something special, at the end of a chapter or after a particularly funny bit.

Going on his reputation ... if he was in his office then he wasn't writing ... his reputation (as I recall from various biographies) was that he only really wrote when sequestered in a hotel room or other place away from distractions ... usually 3 months after his publisher's deadline!  :-)

Eloise posted:
rodwsmith posted:

Going on his reputation ... if he was in his office then he wasn't writing ... his reputation (as I recall from various biographies) was that he only really wrote when sequestered in a hotel room or other place away from distractions ... usually 3 months after his publisher's deadline!  :-)

Wasn't it Adams who said "I love deadlines, I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by"?

Tonight the first taste of our 'Vrai Pineau' which is grape juice & Eau de Vie 60%  at 3 litres of juice :1 Eau de Vie ratio, left to settle for a week then syphoned into a 20 litre chestnut barrel to mature for 3-6 months. Its early days yet and still to clear fully but quite promising. Followed by a couple of glasses of 2015 Cote de Rhone.

Thanks Richard, Mulberry.

DA was just as witty and charming in person as you'd imagine. Although taller. Very tall indeed. He lived round the corner from our shop - one of those great victorian houses on Duncan Terrace (I'm not sure that the money didn't actually come from his wife Jane who if memory serves was a high-flying lawyer of some kind). The basement was one enormous kitchen, and the venue for the parties. After we'd supplied the booze for a couple of them, he started inviting us! He was always up for a chat whenever he came in, and a real wine lover. This was back when Australian wine was a novelty and often derided. Wolf Blass Cab is not the greatest wine in the world, but he told me he liked to drink the same wine when actually writing so he wouldn't get distracted by it. I think he found a lot of things distracting.

He ended up owning a vineyard as part of his place in the south of France, and I designed the label for him.

It was called Quarante-Deux. The name was the best thing about it (well, maybe except the label!!). I still have a bottle somewhere, but it would be completely undrinkable now, which wouldn't be much of a decline from its heyday.

Hardly a friend, but I was still shocked and moved when he died.

2 oz Reposado Tequila

1 oz Cointreau 

Juice of a lime

Pinch of salt

Barspoon of organic blue agave syrup

1 x dash of Oaxaca chocolate bitters

2 x dashes Regans orange  bitters

Orange zest

Add a ton of ice & shake to excess

Strain into a chilled Martini glass

Margarita de la muerte

Christopher_M posted:

Waitrose own label Aussie dry white. Hitting the spot, at a fiver. You calling me cheap?!

Waitrose new line of own label wines ( the ones with the blue and white labels) has some really good wines for the price. The Romanian Pinot Noir is especially good at £5.99. It wouldn't disgrace itself at twice that price.

Thank you Kevin. I will investigate. I've seen them but been put off by the labels. Their 'typical wines by country' at a fiver, with single colour labels and bold typography appealed more.

I have noticed the French red 'Plush' and French white 'Zesty' (I love them both) have disappeared from my local branch.

Feeling self-indulgent today, I opened the case of Lascombes 2000 I bought en primeur in those long gone days where a good claret from a fine vintage would cost under £20 a bottle when it came on the market, and I could afford to buy this class of wine  Very lovely it is too, dangerously easy to drink, classy dark red fruits on nose and palate, not the greatest concentration, but powerful enough to fill the mouth. In its sweet spot now, 2 or 3 more years at this lovely place. Just need to control myself to pace the 11 I have left. 

Eoink posted:

Feeling self-indulgent today, I opened the case of Lascombes 2000 I bought en primeur in those long gone days where a good claret from a fine vintage would cost under £20 a bottle when it came on the market, and I could afford to buy this class of wine  Very lovely it is too, dangerously easy to drink, classy dark red fruits on nose and palate, not the greatest concentration, but powerful enough to fill the mouth. In its sweet spot now, 2 or 3 more years at this lovely place. Just need to control myself to pace the 11 I have left. 

Very nice, its a shame prices have gone so daft, I recently saw Ch Giscours Margaux 2015 at a foire au vin for Eu189 a bottle, they were of course 'aving a larf.

Add Reply

Likes (1)
robgr