Why put speaker cables on foam?

Craig Mac posted:

Am I loosing out here - I've buried my cables in the concrete in the floor; can I make up for it by putting my speakers on foam instead  ?

Tricky problem to solve,  I would suggest you need a numatic drill to release your cables from the concrete, any small pieces break up with a sledge hammer.....once cables are released then rest them carefully  on foam......

wenger2015 posted:
Craig Mac posted:

Am I loosing out here - I've buried my cables in the concrete in the floor; can I make up for it by putting my speakers on foam instead  ?

Tricky problem to solve,  I would suggest you need a numatic drill to release your cables from the concrete, any small pieces break up with a sledge hammer.....once cables are released then rest them carefully  on foam......

I don't think you're seeing the bigger picture here, surely the right answer is to leave the cables in concrete, but get structurl engineers to gently raise your house from the foundations and insert a layer of foam, thus decoupling everything in one fell swoop, and also being very  useful in earthquakes.

wenger2015 posted:
Craig Mac posted:

You need one of these a JCB Cable Extraction Device

Pcd posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Craig Mac posted:

You need one of these a JCB Cable Extraction Device

On reflection, maybe a small stick of dynamite,  save on hire costs...

Craig Mac posted:

Fool. What you should have done is dig a trench, fill it with water and then float your cables on chunks of polystyrene. 

I think I might be onto something here.

Drewy posted:
Craig Mac posted:

Fool. What you should have done is dig a trench, fill it with water and then float your cables on chunks of polystyrene. 

Umm.....cables and water.....strong possibility of experiencing some form of inky blackness ...

wenger2015 posted:
Craig Mac posted:

Without meaning to be indelicate, I think you need a pee.

(pneumatic)

Innocent Bystander posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Craig Mac posted:

Without meaning to be indelicate, I think you need a pee.

(pneumatic)

Well spotted... 

wenger2015 posted:
Drewy posted:
Craig Mac posted:

Umm.....cables and water.....strong possibility of experiencing some form of inky blackness ...

Splashy treble?

Drewy posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Drewy posted:
Craig Mac posted:

Splashy treble?

Possibly no need to damp the room either once the trenches are in.

Add Reply