XPS-Dr on a 272?

My n272 was initially powered by a xps. . I  looked at getting it upgraded to DR status... but the dealer concerned gave a very good trade in vs a new xps DR....

The sound improvement was a big improvement as soon as it installed and got even better as the xps DR ran in over the next few weeks.

The n272 is an excellent bit of hardware  on it's own and a lot better with the xps dr.

MangoMonkey posted:

Thing is  / when I added an xps to the ndx it wasn't that great / added a little body, but not to the tune of the $$ spend - which is why I'm a little hesitant...

I wouldn't worry in this case - the XPS transforms the 272 and raises its performance to a whole new level. The basic box is excellent, but just wait until the XPS is added.....

Had a recent demo of 272 / 250 and added an xpsdr and sound was improved in all areas to a significant degree. 

I'm considering trading in xs separates plus ndac for 272 / 250dr but I'm wondering if I go 272 plus xpsdr and keep the 155xs for now and replace with 250dr when funds allow. 

Stuart 

stuart posted:

I'm considering trading in xs separates plus ndac for 272 / 250dr but I'm wondering if I go 272 plus xpsdr and keep the 155xs for now and replace with 250dr when funds allow. 

If I was going to move from separates to 272 that's how I would do it. 

Hi my recommendation is....... if you are thinking of an XPSDR then buy a second hand 555ps these are going for around 2k. This makes a massive difference. Then when funds allow upgrade 555ps to Dr.  This way you have an excellent upgrade path.

My 272 was totally transformed by my 555ps.....best upgrade so far.

Enjoy!!

Now running Nac272/XPS-DR/250DR into Totem Forest Signatures.

Very well balanced system. Everything just feels totally together. Even in my smallish 11ftx12ft study, I can crank the volume up to 50 - it's massively loud, but doesn't seem like that at all - Noisefloor is down to 0.

This system is pretty much the most satisfying, well balanced system I've ever had.

The XPS-DR is an essential upgrade to the 272, IMHO.

Using a HDPlex on my synology NAS.

MangoMonkey posted:

Now running Nac272/XPS-DR/250DR into Totem Forest Signatures.

Very well balanced system. Everything just feels totally together. Even in my smallish 11ftx12ft study, I can crank the volume up to 50 - it's massively loud, but doesn't seem like that at all - Noisefloor is down to 0.

This system is pretty much the most satisfying, well balanced system I've ever had.

The XPS-DR is an essential upgrade to the 272, IMHO.

Using a HDPlex on my synology NAS.

Just curious if you compared the Forest Sigs to the regular Forest?

Not directly - I had the Forests at the end of a NDS/282/HiCapDR/250 for a month or so. Back then, I felt they might  not be fast enough, and weren't up to the level of the rest of the gear. I bought the Kudos Super 20s and sold the Forests on.

Even now, the forest signatures aren't at the level of the Kudos Super 20s - However, they might be a more balanced speaker than the 20s (mostly since the Tweeter in the Super 20 is from the Titans - and the bass is vague in comparison). I tried to put the Forests Signature instead of the super 20s a few times, but that experiment didn't last long - just don't have as much detail.

However, at the end of the 272/XPS-DR/250DR, the forest signatures are excellent. Like I said earlier, a perfectly balanced system, IMHO, with nothing in the chain better than the other.

Sorry - still haven't answered your question - but I suspect I wouldn't be as satisfied with the totem forests at the end of the 272/xps/250. Question of balance..

nice to know that 272/XPSDR/250DR is a musically satisfying combo, coming from a man who owns 552/300/NDS this is quite an endorsement 

Not sure how easy to find an SL2 speaker is nowadays, the last one on a certain Pink forum sold within 3 hours of being advertised, I believe Hungryhalibut purchased it.

analogmusic posted:

Not sure how easy to find an SL2 speaker is nowadays, the last one on a certain Pink forum sold within 3 hours of being advertised, I believe Hungryhalibut purchased it.

One might be enough for some forumites but from his pics, I see that HH bought a pair :-)

C.

I bought my speakers from Cymbiosis. The pair sold on Pink Fish were, I believe, sold by Gary. Anyway, the SL I referred to was the speaker leads and Din to XLR, both of which I use and both of which make a tremendous difference to the 272/250 based system. In my humble opinion the electronics fully justify the use of these expensive wires. 

Likes (0)