Your 4 favourite ECM albums.

Hungryhalibut posted:

That’s cheating! The Peter Erskine is four albums by itself. I agree about Easy Living, and am playing it now, following your timely reminder. 

I imagine the Peter Erskine sounding absolutely fantastic on your "new" system !?

Haim Ronen posted:

Thanks for link, enjoyed the article.

The article also included the 5 essential ECM Albums.

• Keith Jarrett: The Köln Concert (1975) Sixty-six intense minutes of solo piano improvisations that still entrance and transport more than 40 years later.
  • Steve Reich: Music For 18 Musicians (1978) Debut and definitive recording of Reich’s masterpiece. David Bowie described it as “Balinese gamelan music cross-dressing as minimalism”.
  • Arvo Pärt: Tabula Rasa (1984) The album that introduced the Estonian composer’s powerfully movingly “holy minimalism” to a wider world. “Arvo Pärt’s music is a house on fire and an infinite calm,” said REM’s Michael Stipe.
  • Jan Garbarek and The Hilliard Ensemble: Officium (1994) Lustrous jazz saxophone combines with the ethereal purity of an early music vocal quartet to glorious effect.
  • Vijay Iyer Sextet: Far From Over (2017) All-star group led by American jazz pianist Iyer; a compelling, complex, cutting-edge modern classic.

No way I can make a selection of 4 favorites, as probably a third of my collection is on ECM, but observations:

@Lontano, you are the uncrowned king of ECM for me. Not only do you keep the complete catalogue (and that will include duplications,books, collection, etc.), but you also can tell a story about most of the individual records. And how many times have you had dinner or at least met the ECM artists and/or Manfred Eicher...

going through this thread, I can agree with almost any of the 4 choices to be mine, also.

over the years, it was usually the last 4 I had purchased, that were my 4 favorites. Can hardly remember to be let down by any.

there ARE some that I only listened once, though. Still enjoying, but no lust to repeat. That must have been the time when I bought records like others do their grocery.

with ECM releasing ALL (as I understand) of their catalogue to streaming (and thus downloading) platforms, a new era of discovery has started. I feel like a kid in a candy shop !

Likes (1)
Haim Ronen