Search

Re: Active Ovator 600s

PeterE ·
LP12/Radikal/Keel/Khan/Aro/Koetsu Urushi Gold/Superline/Supercap Klimax DS with Katalyst NAC 552/SNAXO 362 BMR/Supercap 2 NAP 500DR A mixture of SuperLumina and Chord Sarum Super Array cables Peter
Topic

Active Ovator 600s

PeterE ·
A bit of a niche question I'm afraid. At the moment I drive my active ovator 600s with 2 NAP 500DRs. What would be the benfit(s) of adding a third 500? Has anyone out there done this before, or perhaps used 3 300s? If so what was your experience? Good, bad or indifferent?

Re: Koetsu Cartridges

PeterE ·
I run my Urushi in an Aro. However when Ken Kessler was raving about the Koetsu Sky Blue in HFN he was using it in a SME V arm. A copy of that review appears on the Absolutes Sounds website in the bit about the Sky Blue. Peter

Re: Koetsu Cartridges

PeterE ·
I've been using a Koetsu Urushi with a standard Superline/Supercap for several years now. As far as I am concerned there's no problem in using a Koetsu cartridge with a standard Superline. Top tip - use the 100 ohm impedance plug only; no capacitance plug. Peter

Re: Replacing a failed drive in NAS

PeterE ·
I've replaced the dodgy drive with a brand new one and everything seems to be well with the NAS. What they don't tell you is that the last half millimeter of travel for the disc tray is the difference between "Disc does nor exist" and success.

Re: Replacing a failed drive in NAS

PeterE ·
Bart - I spent a few hours in the QNAP website trying to find something relevant to my situation. It looks like replacing a failed drive is known in the trade as rebuilding the RAID, and my drive arrangement is RAID 1. According to QNAP rebuilding the RAID is just a matter of taking one drive out, putting a new one in and then waiting for the system to do its thing. Trickydickie - I understand (from Wikipedia) that in my 2-drive RAID 1 drive arrangement each drive acts as backup for the other.
Topic

Replacing a failed drive in NAS

PeterE ·
I have a QNAP TS-412 NAS comprising 2x2TB hard drives operating as a mirrored pair. One of the drives appears to be failed or failing from what I can make out from QFinder Pro. To replace the failed/failing drive is it simply a matter of taking out the old drive, putting in a new drive and sitting back whilst the system does its thing? Or is it more techy than that? Can someone please help?

Re: 'Rollercoaster Ride'...Why?

PeterE ·
Sorry to drag the mood back down to the prosaic and mundane. Magic hi fi worms indeed!. Everyone knows it's the pixie dust settling on the top of the box. The usual explanation given for run-in phenomena is that it takes variable amounts of time for the many capacitors to "form". This an electrochemical process that builds a layer of stuff on the capacitor electrodes. What it means is that the electronics in the box is a bit off-spec when brand new. It gets better over a week or two. There's...

Re: Socks over your Ovators... what colour do you fancy ?

PeterE ·
KEF Concords had coloured socks in the 80's.
Topic

No running-in

PeterE ·
After all the recent angst about the pain of running-in Statement pre-amps, Super Lumina cables etc I reckon I should spread a little good news.  My Koetsu Urushi cartridge has come back from being rebuilt in Japan and sounds great after only a...

Re: Copyright and CD ripping - Crazy

PeterE ·
I work in the area of intellectual property law (but not copyright). Sorry to take so long in seeing this thread but you really ought to read this article before getting too wound up about this topic. The EFF seem to have got this one arse about tit. http://ipkitten.blogspot.co.uk...ion-requirement.html It's written by a lawyer who understands UK copyright law. The gist of the decision is that UK government did not provide sufficient evidence to let the judge allow an exception for private...

Re: Burning in Statement interconnect and speaker cables

PeterE ·
Just my two-penneth. Device (amp, streamer, etc) burn-in does have a technical basis. The Hi-Fi Critic review of the Superline included a chat with Steve Sells of Naim. It ends "SuperLine takes three weeks to run in fully, by which time all capacitors have formed and their leakage is low." Thus in the early weeks of use the device is somewhat off design spec. The Hi-Fi Critic review of the Superline can be found at http://www.audiocounsel.co.uk/...ic_december_2009.pdf Cable burn-in remains a...

Re: 552 warm up

PeterE ·
Do you use the mute button? Naim HQ say that it takes about 15 minutes for the 552 to come back to its best once the muting is removed. I leave my 552 on 24/7 unmuted.

Re: Speaker Isolation - Ovator S-600s

PeterE ·
Another way to improve bass response and vocal clarity with S600's is to slacken off the lock nuts on the spikes. I understand the gospel from Salisbury is that the lock nuts should be "just a little bit tight". My active S600's are also on a carpeted concrete floor. I tried "just a little bit tight" but gave up, not knowing how tight is "just a little bit tight". I found that completely loose spike lock nuts work fantastically well (for me), and far better than tight lock nuts. Thanks to...