Reply to "ATC SCM40 Active or Not"

One non-trivial hitch to consider with the active speakers; plugging them into power. I found no information on ATC's site as to the power cords or their length. Depending on the room configuration (dedicated spur, location of outlets) it could become a factor, even if only unsightly, but I suppose that can always be dealt with by a sparky if the actives sound good enough.

FWIW - I listened to the passive 19s last weekend at a dealer (272 into bare SN2). Still waiting months for them to get the passive 40s in stock for a home demo. Before I heard the 19s I listened to Devore Gibbon Super 8s. In comparison the 19s were more analytical and refined, but for my ears lacked bottom-end body. The Devores had a greater bass presence (still tight) and while not being far behind for resolution, presented greater top-to-bottom tonal balance. Took the Devores home hoping they'd be the end of my speaker upgrade quest, but despite their high musicality, just not enough bass heft to fill my semi-open 14x16 ft room. Has me wondering now as to whether the passive 40s, even with their additional bass driver, will provide enough bass in my room. Time will tell and I'm at the mercy of the lone ATC dealer in my region to get the 40s home, now promised to arrive early next year.