Reply to "Dipping toes into the NAS (world) with no clue and getting rid of the CD player"

Stephen Tate posted:
ChrisSU posted:

If you want to be free of the computer, I would also consider an Innuos Zen. This will rip your CDs, store them, and play them into your existing DAC, or a V1, or a Naim streamer. It will also play from Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify.

Thanks Chris,

Yes, this does seen to be the kind of solution I have in mind until I can afford something better. You have now got me thinking about thinking about a V1 too!

I'm sure I have read on here that a NAS device connected to laptop is better sounding than using a laptop via the USB DAC. I do like the sound of getting rid of the USB cable connection.

A NAS is really the ideal partner to a streamer, with both devices connected to your network, where they find each other. You wouldn't connect a NAS to a laptop, just use either its internal drive or a USB drive. These are the two distinct ways to build a system that I was referring to earlier. If you stick to using a DAC as you are now, it's possible to connect it to a dedicated computer optimised for audio, rather than using a general purpose PC. A Mac Mini is a popular choice for this, with a bit of software called Audirvana on it to optimise the audio.