Reply to "Electric Cars - Saviours of our environment or just another fad?"

DrMark posted:

And I actually take Interstate 81 to get there - about 50 more miles, no more time, much easier drive (more rural) and avoid the $17+ in tolls the I-95 route entails. I don't know how well stocked it is with charging stations for electric vehicles.

My little Mazda-3 actually does a legitimate 39-40 mpg on the highway, so it works out pretty well; ~$130 round trip and 10 hours door to door each way. I figure it only costs me about double the time of flying, with all the TSA "security theater", plus transit to and from airports, arriving to allow enough time for everything, long term parking, baggage check (if needed), 2 hours flight, etc, etc, and I can bring him stuff.

I have nothing against electric cars - or any other kind - just be reliable, convenient, and save me money, and I am down with it. For me a car is nothing more than a necessary evil. (Although I can certainly appreciate a really nice one.)

There are about 8 or 9 supercharger stations along the 81 between Farragut/Knoxville and NYC.