Reply to "Electric Cars - Saviours of our environment or just another fad?"

winkyincanada posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...y-senior-merkel-aide

I remain baffled by the inability of the mainstream makers (and Don) to see the game-changer that electric vehicles represents.

Since you quote a German politician, I'd like to report that in 2010 the German government planned to have 1 million electric cars on the streets by 2020. That goal was missed by far and was more or less silently dropped by Merkel this year. Furthermore there is a Government fund of 1.2 billion EUR to pay every buyer of an electric car a bonus of about 3000 to 4000 euros, depending on the specific kind of electric engine. So far only 5000 households have applied for the bonus. Apparently the Germans don't like electric cars.

A large part of the German population (like myself) lives in flats, often without associated parking places for the cars. Many people would need to have their car fully charged in the morning when commuting 50 km or more to the office (considering the range of the smaller EVs). Public charging stations are scarce and accounting is difficult and inconsistent due to complex business models (there are companies that own the charging stations, companies that sell the electric power and companies that produce it).  So I wonder if one is supposed to carry the 300kg or so battery into the flat every night for recharging or run hundred meters of power cable across the sidewalks to the car?

Add to that that electric cars are way more expensive then fuel driven cars, that the longevity of the batteries is unknown and that batteries are not very friendly to the environment either.

My bet, like that of others in thread here, is on hydrogen driven cars. 

OTOH, pedelecs are booming in Germany. I have one myself now and it's an almost ideal way to get to work (10 km distance). And I can conveniently carry the battery into the flat for recharging.