Reply to "First day with 552"

greekspec2 posted:
MDS posted:

Congratulations, Tareq

I followed a similar journey, though I had already replaced my 250.2 with a 300DR.   Having tried and rejected the 252 twice, I agonised hard and long about the step to the 552.  I put off even listening to it. An the even, after a two-week home demo, I continued to worry about whether I could could justify the substantial investment but eventually took the plunge on the basis that 'you only live once'.  

Mine sounded excellent from the off and I found the run-in period fairly even and modest (I had no bad sounding days) and then just as I thought it was properly run in there was a sudden and very nice leap at the end, around 12 weeks, when the 552 really came on-song.  

Enjoy.

Mike 

The NAC 252 did not cut it for you on the NAP 300DR?

Never tried the 252 with the 300DR, greekspec2.  I twice had a 252 on a 2-week home trial to try against my 282/SC/250.2. Although I found the 252 more detailed and subtle than my 282, on rock music it seemed to suck the excitement from the music so twice I rejected the 252 and stuck with my 282.  A number of contributors on here suggested I try the 552 but I wussed out.  Late last autumn I tried the 300DR and 250DR against my 250.2 and was hugely impressed by the 300DR.  I very much enjoyed my 282/SCDR/300DR combination and then early this year I finally gave in and demo'ed a 552DR.  It's not just another step up from the 252 (and 282), it's a whole staircase.

Mike