Reply to "How do you listen to music - and is that the ‘right’ way?"

TOBYJUG posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Listening to music is an emotional experience not a technical one for me.

An analytical approach means listening more to the Hifi rather than the music, if you see what I mean.

An example (forgive me, I have used this before, but it refers to Olly's ideas too). We own a large and unusual abstract painting. I find it peaceful and fascinating. My brother approaches it by staring at the surface from a few inches away and asking 'how has that been done?'. Both approaches to art/music are valid but they are quite different. Both of us get pleasure from the interaction.

I think we are all along that spectrum in terms of how we approach these things. in general the HiFi room represents more of my brother, this room more of me. Threads like, 'what is the best sounding track for a demo' are more him, threads like 'what tracks reduce you to tears' are more me. Concrete thinkers vs abstract thinkers if you want to categorise crudely.

So to answer your question; listen how you want, and listen in the way that gives you the most pleasure!

Bruce

I think I might be unique, in that I can listen into many facets at the same time.   Analytical,emotional, structural,colour, shapes and form, tone, human touch and personality, what was intended, what was crafted, if it resolves what the artist behind it wanted.if a cable needs upgrading, if the right speaker needs just a millimetre nudge to the left, if I shifted my listening position forward a bit.

That is fascinating. It certainly gives you a totally different element to your hobby, Maybe I also lack a technical appreciation as someone with no musical training or music-making knowledge whatsoever. I don't think that is a problem but it must open another perspective if you play music yourself.

I never listen to music and think, 'Oooh I wonder if it would sound better if'. I never tweak or fiddle once everything is set up. I suppose I occasionally note a bad recording or production but I think the actual performamnce of my HiFi is something I only consider when I upgrade-and that awareness lasts maybe a few days before I just accept what is in front of me.

Bruce