Mahler's 1st

Posted by: Todd A on 16 October 2000

How many versions of this should I own? More importantly, which versions should I get?

Currently I own the following: Bruno Walter’s 1961 recording with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra on Sony (great, beautiful, and wonderful), the early 70’s recording by Kubelik and the BRSO on DG (quirky but outstanding), and the ’73 or so recording made by Mehta and the Israel Philharmonic (estimable though not profound).

Mike already suggested Inbal’s version on Denon, which I shall add to my list of potential purchases. Any other suggestions?

(I do know that I will have to get one of Bernstein’s versions eventually, though I’m not sure which one. I should probably also get a Klemperer recording. Probably Mengelberg, as well, some time down the road.)

Oh, by the way, I will mention Mahler in the same breath as Beethoven, at least concerning symphonic compositions. Beethoven is the master of all things symphonic (and perhaps even of all things piano sonata), but Mahler looms large over the last hundred years and at his best (symphonies 1, 6 and 9) is in the realm of Beethoven. He’s not quite as good, and certainly not as consistent (explain the 3rd and 8th symphonies, for instance), but he’s at least as close to Beethoven as Brahms or Haydn. I’ve read at least two posts where people are hesitant to put Mahler on the same level as Beethoven, but not I! (Let the excoriation begin!)

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Todd A
Kevin, just wanted to write that I'm not ranking composers per se, just mentioning that Mahler should be considered a great composer along with Beethoven and not a few others. I've seen people afraid to make such statements. What a shame. And, oh how I marvel at the beauty.

And Vuk, I'm sorry I missed that thread. Must of caught the Naim bug a little too late.

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Mike Hanson
I've got the Mahler thread archived. I'll post it to the new forum, as soon as it's ready. (We're working out the bugs right now.) Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Igor Zamberlan
Vuk:

quote:
I think the 8th is possibly the greatest, alongside the 2nd (which you also exclude) and 9th. His big mistakes were the 5th and 7th

I happen to think that the Seventh is the "difficult" one (I know there's something in it, but I don't get it, or I get it only at times). The Fifth, I like it but it's not my favourite. That should be the 9th, judging from the number of versions I have. Or the Sixth.

But... from what I have heard, I had dismissed the 8th as bombastic pompier. Maybe the problem is in the versions I own (Gielen and Abbado).

Which is supposed to be a good one? Or, as is the Third's case, none will do, and you'll have to listen to it live to really appreciate it?

Regards
Igor
(just went yesterday night to a Herreweghe Bach cantatas concert )

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Phil Barry
Yeah, I was unhappy with the BPO's choice, too. I was really hoping they'd pick Barenboim.

There's a live Mitropoulos/8th that I've heard on radio, and it is SUPER, though the sound is dated.

Glad to see the Horenstein 1st was mentioned. It's really great bombast. As to how many one should own, how many do you want? I'd stay away from Haitink (I own the CD) and Chailly, based on my experience at 3 very dull Chailly-directed concerts.

The best comment on the 1st (heard after a performance of the 1st by the Philadelphia in Ann Arbor): 'Beethoven would have said it in 15 minutes!'

How about the 4th? Szell, Horenstein, and I heard a great CSO performance with Sylvia McNair.

(signed) A Chicago Symphony subscriber

Posted on: 18 October 2000 by Todd A
Since this thread has expanded to include all of Mahler's symphonies, I might as well bring up the 9th symphony. IMO, this is his finest effort. The Adagio is among the finest pieces of music written in all of human history. This work is one of the few long works (60 minutes+) where I completely lose track of time. (Bruckner's 8th is another.)

With that in mind, I have Zander's incredible version on Telarc, and Boulez's more analytical, less emotional and, alas, less interesting interpretation on DG. I know that I should get that '38 Walter recording, but any other profoundly good renditions to consider above all others?

Posted on: 18 October 2000 by Todd A
Vuk, generally I agree with your assessment that Boulez can drain the life from music. I've found some exceptions, though. I rather enjoy his version of Mahler's 6th of all things, though I'm hungering to get Bernstein's last version to supplant it. I've heard one other version (can't remember by whom) on the radio that was decidedly less entertaining.

Boulez's recent version on Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe is stupendous. I haven't heard any other complete versions of this work - just snippets here and there – but this one floats my boat. I may very well like other versions more, of course. At the same time, his version of Bolero leaves me cold. Go figure. I’d like to hear him conduct Carter’s Symphonia. There’s a work the man was born to conduct.

And I noticed Phil’s rather unflattering statements about Chailly. I agree completely. I’ve heard the 4th on a high-end Naim rig at my dealer, and I was still bored and unimpressed. Worse yet, I recently heard a BBC proms concert on the radio of Chailly conducting Mahler’s 1st and the only thing I can say is that the playing was sloppy. It was uncoordinated, out of sync, unconvincing, and <add critcism of your choice>. If this had been my introduction to Mahler, I probably would not have moved on to the other symphonies.

Posted on: 19 October 2000 by Igor Zamberlan
Agree with Vuk about Boulez Ninth. I picked it up second-hand for the equivalent of five pounds, and found it dull almost to an unbelievable level. I sorta like Boulez in other repertoire - I like his Columbia Debussy, his Webern , his recent Bruckner Eighth is also very good, IMHO
- but his Ninth didn't give me any reason to try and sample his ongoing Mahler cycle further.

Chailly... well, his much lauded Mahler Fifth stroke me as missing all the points. I didn't find the sound so good as they say also.

As for Ninths, I have a fondness for Bernstein's 1980 or so Berliner recording, you really feel the emotion of the occasion. I also like Barbirolli - not so much as I love his Sixth, but almost.

Igor

[This message was edited by Igor Zamberlan on FRIDAY 20 October 2000 at 09:07.]