72 Boards in a 32.5

Posted by: Edwin on 02 November 2000

I have been told that there are 72 boards which can be fitted to a 32.5 as an 'upgrade'. Is this an improvement? If so, in what way?
Posted on: 03 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
I have been told that there are 72 boards which can be fitted to a 32.5 as an 'upgrade'. Is this an improvement? If so, in what way?

I run a updated 32-5. For me the 729 filter upgrade makes a massive difference, the sound is much tighter, cleaner, and has far better pace rhythm and timing. One small warning, is that when you first fit the new boards, they sound a little small and constrained, this goes completely after about a months burn in. To my ears they are better in every area to the original boards. In hi-fi value terms, it is one of the best 110 quid spends you can make, assuming of course you wish to keep the 32-5 for quite a while.

Another thing worth doing is getting your amp re-capped, as the capacitors have a life span of around ten years. I had whole amp serviced and re-capped by Naim around two years ago. Once everything warms up and burns in (effectively you have a new amp), it sounds far better and more articulate. When sending preamps back to be recapped, ensure your phono stage is fitted, as they do that too.

Tony.

Posted on: 03 November 2000 by Rico
The '72' boards make a big improvement to the 32.5. Order the 'kit' from your dealer, which includes a new additional pair of boards too (can't remember, it was a long time a go now). Ensure you specify that they are 72 boards for a 32.5... these are referred to as 329 boards, despite being marked 729 (which is the board used in the 72), difference being the 329 version will allow the balance control in the 32.5 to function correctly.

The 729 is a time-aligned filter. This makes your 32.5 into an 'almost 72', with greather speed, detail, less blurring... and all of the 'opens musical detail' stuff... much better precision in the rythmn section. Well worth doing if the price is right; however, a factory service for your 32.5 may be long overdue. You might consider having the 72-update kit installed at the same time, rather than servicing the old boards and then replacing them. You should weigh up the cost factors vs a used 72, in case it works out better to just upgrade. This all depends on which market you are in.

Let us know how you get on.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 03 November 2000 by John Schmidt
quote:
it is one of the best 110 quid spends you can make

Edwin,

I enquired about the cost of these boards when I took my Hicap + 250 to Dimexs (Canadian distributor) for servicing this summer. It's about $400 Cdn. I can't comment on the sound, since I haven't done it, however, I can endorse the advice to service your power amps/supplies as well. The $475 (including taxes) that I spent recapping my ca. 18-year-old 250 and 15-year-old Hicap is about the best value I've ever received for my audio dollar - even better than buying used Naim gear in the first place.

Cheers,

John Schmidt
"95% of everything is crud" - Theodore Sturgeon

Posted on: 03 November 2000 by BrianD
Edwin

I did this a few years ago for my 32.5.

I agree totally with Tony and Rico. As long as you intend keeping the 32.5 for a while it's worth it.

Brian

Posted on: 03 November 2000 by Eric Barry
Dave Dever quoted $325 recently, and you heard $400 cdn. Are they still 110 pounds in the UK (about $170)?

At the US price, it makes more sense to sell the 32-5 and get a genuine 72 which doesn't need recapping.

--Eric

Posted on: 03 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
At the US price, it makes more sense to sell the 32-5 and get a genuine 72 which doesn't need recapping.

Some 72s are only a month or so newer than some 32-5s! 72s may well need re-capping too.

Tony.

Eric

Thats a good point. I recall your post. At the sort of prices mentioned in USA or Canada the boards may well not be worthwhile.

I don't know how much they cost in the UK now. I had mine a few years ago (perhaps 4, not sure) and they were only in the region of £90-£95. A bargain.

Perhaps a comment from Naim may be nice at this point?

Brian

Posted on: 03 November 2000 by Edwin
Do these time alignment boards work for the 32 as well? My brother in law has a NAC32, so he may be interested.
as far as I can see. As long as we're talking "new-style" extruded case-era.

--Eric

Posted on: 03 November 2000 by P
really.

re.p

Pierre

It is when compared to the M word.

Brian

Posted on: 07 November 2000 by Edwin
I've done some phoning around. Here are the results:

Canada $400 canadian. About US $260 excl. taxes
USA (NANA) US $325 excl. taxes
UK UKP 105-110 About US $168 incl. VAT

Why such a difference I wonder?

Posted on: 28 November 2000 by Edwin
Just received the 729 & 731 boards. Plugged them into the 32.5 last night. Bingo. Big improvement in the timing PRaT, even when not run in. The sound in MUCH tighter, notes start and stop much more precisely. Even the wife noticed! Well worth the UKP110. Will be hanging onto the 32.5 now until I can afford an 82. Highly recommended
Posted on: 30 November 2000 by BrianD
Edwin

I'm glad you're happy.

Brian

Posted on: 30 November 2000 by Edwin
Brian and all,

I am happy. Thanks for the advice.

Posted on: 01 December 2000 by Rico
quote:
Anybody know a way around this?

John

far be it from me to suggest you modify your fine Naim equipment.... but I think you can do without the buffer boards if you prefer, you just need to strap the signal through. I don't know which pins are which, and if you try this - insert your fave disclaimer here, no liability implied or accepted - be sure not to route power down your signal lines... but it should be possible. Not sure how the absence of buffers would affect the performance of your Headline though, I guess it's designed with a buffered source in mind?

In days of yore the details were on McBride's website, but this seems to have vanished.

Rico - musichead

quote:
Do you have any idea how big the jump is sonically going from a supercapped 32.5 (with 729s) to a 52?

John, I don't own a 52, but know it well. The difference is huge. The jump from S/C 32.5-82 is beeeeeeeg! Especially after the warmup. The trick is to love the one your with.

Rico - musichead

quote:
FWIW...a 32.5 sans boards with 729s + black snaic has got to be one of the best deals in audio of all time.

John: that's the point, it is!

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 08 December 2000 by Edwin
I have tried e-mailing you details twice. Each time it was returned. Is there a problem with your e-mail?
Posted on: 08 December 2000 by Ron Toolsie
quote:
Do you have any idea how big the jump is sonically going from a supercapped 32.5 (with 729s) to a 52?

As I mentioned in an earlier post (probably in the old forum) I had a 42.5/Supercap resident in my 6pack/DBL system for a week or two. When the 52 returned so did the music, although the supercapped 42.5 with black snaic did a very credible job considering I only paid $100 for it secondhand. A supercapped 42.5 is very 'hi-fi' with a rounded, soft LF, a suprisingly lush midrange, quite a bit of HF detail albeit it a trifle brash and more than a goodly dose of bounce. Certainly far, far better than with a mere Hicap. But the 52 made the DBLs wake up, stretch their limbs and dance to the music.

A boardpulled and filterboarded 32.5 is quite a bit better than the 42.5, and as such would probably respond even more favourably to the Supercap, but the 52 is light years ahead of even a supercapped 82, so it should have absolutely no problem showing a supercapped 32.5 a very clean pair of heels.

Ron
Dum spiro audio
Dum audio vivo

http://homepages.go.com/~rontoolsie/index1.html