Which Naim speakers shall I choose?

Posted by: O.P. on 13 December 2008

Hi Guys!

I'm going to buy some new speakers for my Naim system. At the moment I have the Nait 5i and Cd5i, both are MK I. I think I will buy some used speakers, but the Naim market in Sweden is limited, but I do have a few choices:

Naim Credo 660 GBP
Naim Allae 1 075 GBP
Naim Ariva 920 GBP

I know that the Allae is the best speaker, but how well will it play with my Nait 5i and how big is the difference between Allae and Credo? Is it worth the extra money.

Kind Regards from a cold and snowy Sweden.

Oskar
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by hungryhalibut
Welcome to the Forum Oskar

Cold and snowy sounds lovely; here is is cold, rainy and windy too.....

Do you have the chance to listen the various speakers in your own room, as this is the only real way to tell which you prefer. If not, you are taking a risk that they may not work for you. All of the speakers have their supporters. The Arivas are probably the best match for your cd and amp, but they are not as good as the others. The Allaes are the best, but they really do need a better cd and amp. They could make sense if you plan to upgrade, but if you intend to keep your current cd and amp for a good while, it would be better to get something more balanced. I would actually suggest that you try one that is not on your list - the nSat, which I prefer to all the others - if it is available at a price that is affordable.

Nigel
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by rega1
I like the aspect of the close boxed ariva. No bass ports, easily set in a room and adjusted to your listening chair. Fast bass, doesn't lag. At least that was my experience.

rega1
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by O.P.
quote:
Originally posted by hungryhalibut:
Welcome to the Forum Oskar

Cold and snowy sounds lovely; here is is cold, rainy and windy too.....

Do you have the chance to listen the various speakers in your own room, as this is the only real way to tell which you prefer. If not, you are taking a risk that they may not work for you. All of the speakers have their supporters. The Arivas are probably the best match for your cd and amp, but they are not as good as the others. The Allaes are the best, but they really do need a better cd and amp. They could make sense if you plan to upgrade, but if you intend to keep your current cd and amp for a good while, it would be better to get something more balanced. I would actually suggest that you try one that is not on your list - the nSat, which I prefer to all the others - if it is available at a price that is affordable.

Nigel

Thanks.

Well I havn't been able to listen to any of these speakers in my room, in fact I have only been listening to Allae with Nait 5i. That sounded quite good but I beleive that they will gain a level or two with better equipment and. I don't think that I will upgrade in the nearest future, so the top priority is to find the speaker that sounds good with my Nait.

Have any of you compared Credo, Allae and Ariva? What was the diferences?
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by O.P.
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
quote:
Originally posted by O.P.:
Hi Guys!

I'm going to buy some new speakers for my Naim system. At the moment I have the Nait 5i and Cd5i, both are MK I. I think I will buy some used speakers, but the Naim market in Sweden is limited, but I do have a few choices:

Naim Credo 660 GBP
Naim Allae 1 075 GBP
Naim Ariva 920 GBP

I know that the Allae is the best speaker, but how well will it play with my Nait 5i and how big is the difference between Allae and Credo? Is it worth the extra money.

Kind Regards from a cold and snowy Sweden.

Oskar
You can ship most of them from UK
Dealers that have them and save your self some money.

That was a good idea. Do you have any tips on good sites or used speakers in GB?
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by andyvk
try a pair of sbls, they are in a different league to the other speakers.

andy
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by perflemming
Do notice the SBL are demanding in set-up procedure and plays much better with a topnotch LP12 turntable (amo) or CDS at the minimum.

Also, some people prefer the Allae over SBL, so judge yourself..

I'd demo before buy or take the n-Sat (if small room) or whatever affordable of the floorstanders..
Posted on: 14 December 2008 by O.P.
quote:
Originally posted by perflemming:
Do notice the SBL are demanding in set-up procedure and plays much better with a topnotch LP12 turntable (amo) or CDS at the minimum.

Also, some people prefer the Allae over SBL, so judge yourself..

I'd demo before buy or take the n-Sat (if small room) or whatever affordable of the floorstanders..

Well I have found SBL for 800 GBP. But I'm a bit afraid to buy som used SBL, is it easy to change the silicone?

I think that Credo have the top position for the moment, do you guys have any opinion of Credo with 5i?

Thanks for all you answers!
Posted on: 14 December 2008 by BigH47
quote:
Well I have found SBL for 800 GBP. But I'm a bit afraid to buy some used SBL, is it easy to change the silicone?

Is that a black ash pair or one of the other wood finishes? Also are they MK2 drivers do you know?

Service for the SBLs is reasonably straight forward but awkward, kit about £80, you need to see it done IMO. I can say it is worth doing and the end result is a speaker difficult to match with out spending a load more dosh.
Where abouts are you?

Howard
Posted on: 14 December 2008 by hungryhalibut
quote:
Well I have found SBL for 800 GBP

In my view, the SBL is way too good for a CD5i/Nait5i. It needs a really good front end and something like an 82/250 to work properly. It is much better to get a set of speakers that match, which will give a system you can live with happily for years, rather than one that needs upgrading straight away. SBLs will sound awful if they are not properly set up, and it is ceratinly not a good idea to import a pair and set them up yourself unless you know what you are doing. It really makes more sense to buy from a dealer locally and take advantage of their expertise and ongoing support.

Nigel
Posted on: 14 December 2008 by O.P.
quote:
Originally posted by BigH47:
quote:
Well I have found SBL for 800 GBP. But I'm a bit afraid to buy some used SBL, is it easy to change the silicone?

Is that a black ash pair or one of the other wood finishes? Also are they MK2 drivers do you know?

Service for the SBLs is reasonably straight forward but awkward, kit about £80, you need to see it done IMO. I can say it is worth doing and the end result is a speaker difficult to match with out spending a load more dosh.
Where abouts are you?

Howard

They are in black ash. I Don't know if it's the MK2, I have mailed the vendor for serial number but they havn't replied.

I´m not very handy so I'm a bit nervous to replace the silicone by myself. There seems to be some problems if it is done wrong, maybe I can find a speaker repair who can help me.
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by Stormange
Hej Oskar,

I have just bought a nice pair of cherry sbls from the uk. I simply could not find a good pair here in Sweden. I have found the SBLs to be a really good match for my LP12/Supernait-setup. With lesser and differently voiced ancillaries I would tread carefully, though.

It was easy to apply the silicone. But you will probably need new alupads. This I think is the most critical part of SBL-setup. I cut mine out from a can of fish (makrill i tomatsås).

Mange
Nässjö
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by Guido Fawkes
Allaes would be my choice Smile

Superb speakers that will last you through many many many upgrades. Even if you do not plan to upgrade again for 10 years, I still think the Allaes will stand the test of time. I would look for a second-hand pair though.

The SBLs are good too, but trickier to set-up. There is no way I'd want to replace the silcone myself. If there are any complications in using something then for me, it is no go. That doesn't stop them from being very fine speakers though.
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by Diesel
Oskar, the silicone is not difficult, I've had to move mine a few times and replaced the silicone each time. If I can do it . . .

If you do get SBLs just make sure you have about 4-5mm gap between the tweeter and bass driver below it. The SBls are great!

I have a detailed installation sheet from Naim, happy to post if you need.
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by Christopher_M
Oskar, you haven't mentioned the area of your room. If it is small to medium size you could well be very happy with a pair of n-Sats.

Regards, Chris
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by u5227470736789499
Hi,

I have CD5x + Nait5i-2 + Allae and I find the music quite good. On simple music -- one voice, two-three instruments -- I find the music great. With more complicated pieces (Pink Floyd, Sting, classical orchestra) I miss some clarity. Bass is somewhat muddled.

You can find lots of opinions in the archives, but most say that Nait5i is a bit too weak for the Allae.

Cheers
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by O.P.
Well first of all, thanks for all your feedback. I really appreciate it! Smile

To answer some questions. My room is 25m2 (or 225 square feet). I have just received a e-mail from the dealer and they tell me that the Credo is manufactured in 1996, but they are in a good condition. In my opinion 660 GBP is way too much for these speakers. I´m thinking of Allae, but some of you say that the Nait don't have power enough to drive them. I have listen to Allae with Nait 5i before and I don't think that there is a critical lack of power with the Nait.

But of course, the Allae will perform much better with better equipment.

So guys some questions to you. What is the retail price on used Credos in the U.K. I have tried to find some on the net, but I haven't been so successful. Smile

There is also the Intro II, but I don't really consider them an option. Should I change my mind?
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by O.P.
quote:
Originally posted by Stormange:
Hej Oskar,

I have just bought a nice pair of cherry sbls from the uk. I simply could not find a good pair here in Sweden. I have found the SBLs to be a really good match for my LP12/Supernait-setup. With lesser and differently voiced ancillaries I would tread carefully, though.

It was easy to apply the silicone. But you will probably need new alupads. This I think is the most critical part of SBL-setup. I cut mine out from a can of fish (makrill i tomatsås).

Mange
Nässjö

Hej Mange,

So if I buy some SBL and I need to replace the silicone, I will just have to pick you up in Nässjö? Smile

BR
Oskar
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by hungryhalibut
quote:
What is the retail price on used Credos in the U.K. I have tried to find some on the net, but I haven't been so successful

You need to know where to look! I have just found a 1997 pair in cherry for £275. But then there is the freight cost from UK to Sweden for two large boxes, which I imagine could double that price.

I still think you'd be better of with nSats.

Nigel
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by Visprashyana
I really think you should try the Arivas because I think they much better than the Allaes and they will provide great bass with your amp and size of room.
Posted on: 16 December 2008 by Stormange
Hej Mange,

So if I buy some SBL and I need to replace the silicone, I will just have to pick you up in Nässjö? Smile

BR
Oskar[/QUOTE]

No problem. I actually enjoyed setting up the sbls. At least until the first speaker was done. Then my girlfriend let a child into the room...

Regarding shipping costs from uk to Sweden: Shipping of my sbls cost me £150 inc. insurance. Credos are probably lighter and would cost less. But, as said elsewhere in the thread, a pair of Arivas would probably suit the nait better.

Mange
Posted on: 16 December 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
I really think you should try the Arivas because I think they much better than the Allaes

Hmmm - I think you should try Allaes because they are very much better than Arivas. Personally, I prefer nSats/nSub to Arivas. Allaes are very easy to drive and work well with the Nait. Arivas always sounded a bit too much for me, but it is subjective and room dependent.
Posted on: 17 December 2008 by O.P.
quote:
Originally posted by ROTF:
quote:
I really think you should try the Arivas because I think they much better than the Allaes

Hmmm - I think you should try Allaes because they are very much better than Arivas. Personally, I prefer nSats/nSub to Arivas. Allaes are very easy to drive and work well with the Nait. Arivas always sounded a bit too much for me, but it is subjective and room dependent.

Well I believe so as well. As I mentioned earlier, the market of used Naim speakers are very limited in Sweden, therefor is there a very big spread in the price. For the moment, there is only one pair of Allaes for sale and the price is just 100GBP more than used Arivas usualy cost.

It sounds to me that the price on Allae is a better deal.
quote:
Originally posted by Stormange:

No problem. I actually enjoyed setting up the sbls. At least until the first speaker was done. Then my girlfriend let a child into the room...

Regarding shipping costs from uk to Sweden: Shipping of my sbls cost me £150 inc. insurance. Credos are probably lighter and would cost less. But, as said elsewhere in the thread, a pair of Arivas would probably suit the nait better.

Mange

I would have been quite nervous to replace the silicone myself. I can assume that they will sound terrible if you do it wrong.

Regarding the N-Sats, I have heard them and they sound great but to be honest, I'm not such a big fan of standmounts. I like floorspeakers.
Posted on: 17 December 2008 by hungryhalibut
quote:
Regarding the N-Sats, I have heard them and they sound great but to be honest, I'm not such a big fan of standmounts

Hmm. If they sound great then surely that's what matters. Going back to ROTF's comment that he prefers Allaes to Arivas (something 99% of people would agree with) I also prefer nSats/nSub to Allaes. There is something great about looking at two little speakers and feeling bass down to 20Hz.

Whichever of the choices you get, try it at home first.

Nigel
quote:
Originally posted by hungryhalibut:
quote:
Regarding the N-Sats, I have heard them and they sound great but to be honest, I'm not such a big fan of standmounts

Hmm. If they sound great then surely that's what matters. Going back to ROTF's comment that he prefers Allaes to Arivas (something 99% of people would agree with) I also prefer nSats/nSub to Allaes. There is something great about looking at two little speakers and feeling bass down to 20Hz.

Whichever of the choices you get, try it at home first.

Nigel

Maybe you are right. I have just heard the N-sats on their own. Maybe I shall listen to them with the n-sub.