Which artist that was taken away from us too soon do you wish was still here making music

Posted by: Doppy1977 on 26 August 2018

i wish that Amy WInehouse and Michael Jackson we’re still making music, but most of all the great Freddie Mercury

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Bert Schurink

Mozart

John Bonham

Michael Jackson

Miles Davis

.....the list would be too long...

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Kevin-W

Ian Curtis.

Bobbie Gentry. She didn't die - in fact she's very much alive, but voluntarily stopped making records in 1971, and made her last public appearance 36 years ago.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Numptyhead

Gram Parsons and Clarence White. The two country rock geniuses that really took "country style" music to a contemporary audience. Just ask Emmylou and Chris Hillman. 

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Clive B

Emily Remler, 18 September 1957 - 4 May 1990.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Paper Plane

Miles Davis

Rick Parfitt

steve

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by PeterDF

Stuart Adamson, so overlooked as an artist but was a great songwriter and guitarist. 

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Timmo1341

Not sure that Leonard ‘music to slit my wrists to’ Cohen qualifies, at the age of 82, for ‘taken too soon’?!

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Morton

In classical, Pergolesi and Schubert, and in jazz, Bix Beiderbecke, Charlie Parker, Fats Navarro and Clifford Brown.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Richard Morris

Clifford Brown, Scott La Faro.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Kirsty MacColl for me, great talent and a sad departure

Interesting idea re Leonard Cohen, considering he was 82 when he died but his last album(s) are amongst my favourites so he potentially had more to give I guess.

Nusrat fateh Ali Khan died aged only 48. One of the greatest voices ever-although at least his legacy is of hundreds of recordings.

Bruce

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Sloop John B

Phillip Lynott

He's just a boy that has lost his way
He's a rebel that has fallen down
He's a fool that done blown away

Perhaps the line quoted above is pertinent for him  

What made us dream that he could comb grey hair  

.sjb

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by dave marshall

No hud a menshun up tae noo .................... Alex Harvey .................... a real stage presence, and a formidable songwriter and wordsmith.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by sjbabbey

Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by dave4jazz

Pianist Esbjorn Svensson lead the Swedish group e.s.t. (Esbjorn Svensson Trio), one of the most exciting and original piano trios in jazz.

Svensson died in a scuba diving accident in Stockholm on 14 June 2008. He is survived by his wife and two sons. The publication All About Jazz remarked that the loss "will surely deeply sadden music lovers everywhere."

The trio deliberately blurred genres, with Svensson's musical catholicism drawing upon a wide variety of artist influences. e.s.t. was also renowned for its vibrant style in live performances, often playing in rock and roll oriented venues to young crowds. It achieved great commercial success and critical acclaim throughout Europe. Its 1999 release From Gagarin's Point of View started its international breakthrough, being the first e.s.t. album to be released outside of Scandinavia through the German label ACT.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by meni48

I think you all forgot to mention the one and only John Lennon

Posted on: 29 August 2018 by Richard Dane
meni48 posted:

I think you all forgot to mention the one and only John Lennon

See here: 

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...99#76892142950312999

Posted on: 31 August 2018 by Crispy

Thinking more recently, Tom Petty certainly makes the list for me.

Posted on: 01 September 2018 by notnaim man

Eddie Cochran

Nick Drake.

Posted on: 01 September 2018 by notnaim man
Timmo1341 posted:

Not sure that Leonard ‘music to slit my wrists to’ Cohen qualifies, at the age of 82, for ‘taken too soon’?!

I think he still had something to contribute, whenever someone makes the slit wrists comment, I ask which songs they are basing that comment on,  to date, no-one has listened. 

Posted on: 01 September 2018 by sjbabbey
notnaim man posted:
Timmo1341 posted:

I think he still had something to contribute, whenever someone makes the slit wrists comment, I ask which songs they are basing that comment on,  to date, no-one has listened. 

I agree that LC's reputation of "suicide" songs is undeserved. In fact a lot of his well known songs are actually in 3/4 i.e. waltz time.

Posted on: 01 September 2018 by Innocent Bystander
sjbabbey posted:
notnaim man posted:
Timmo1341 posted:

I agree that LC's reputation of "suicide" songs is undeserved. In fact a lot of his well known songs are actually in 3/4 i.e. waltz time.

And if it is the possible depressive sounding nature of some of his songs, that can actually be cathartic - and so have quite the opposite effect.