Chord Epic streaming cable

Posted by: T38.45 on 28 November 2018

Just tested some straming cable but Epic wins for me. This cable is incredible fluid! Like quicksilver comes music out of my speaker, never thought that 1m cable can improve SQ....highly recommend!  ...but confused about the arrows they printed on the cable...they say the arrow should direct away from source! what is source if you have a streamer? The NAS or the switch? Strange..

Thanks  folks for recommending Cisco switch and Chord cable...highly appreciated! So my last stop for my digital journey is the Zen MK3 I‘ll get in a few days. 

Ralf

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Direction is: From the wall socket (NAS) to your streamer

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Obsydian

And the Indigo and Sarum are even moreso 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Peder
Obsydian posted:

???? Obsydian,....Don't forget Vertere...

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by T38.45
Obsydian posted:

pretty sure they do...but that is out of my budget :-(

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Obsydian

T38.45 - Was just saying the range gets better as you go up 

PEDER - I am sure we will have the £5 cable is fine mob here soon 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by T38.45

Sarum is on the way for test:-) just to have a benchmark of course....... dealer calls me 5min ago!

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Peder
Obsydian posted:

PEDER - I am sure we will have the £5 cable is fine mob here soon 

???? Obsydian,...????????????????.

/Peder ???? 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by longmanjon

but is it £445 better than one of the £5 cables, have you compared any others?

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Obsydian

I have used standard cat5/6 what were lying around, Supra Cat7, Ghent/Belden, Amazon £5, Chord C Stream, AQ Vodka, Chord Indigo and Sarum, currently looking to move to a Synergistic Research.

So i can safely say i have tried a few (wasted a few quid), the latter few where the best.

Some notice no benefit, best to loan and decide yourself.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by T38.45

same...i tested some no-name cat 5-6, AQ Forest, Cinnamom, Vodka, Chord Epic and Shawline, Phonosophie....next step (as mentione) is the high-end range from Chord just to see if there is a big gap in SQ. The Phonosophie cable was by far the most extreme cable in that row...the SQ moves from "recording studio" to "concert hall"... so if you need more "space or air" around your set-up this cable is highly recommended BUT - and this isreally a warning- it's extreme and you should not buy it without listening!

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by aznblue

I just replaced a throwaway patch cord with an Oyaide IS-707 Cat 7, ordered from the auction site and shipped from Japan. Nicely constructed with the fancy MFP8 RJ45 plugs and not crazily priced. Whether there is any variation with ethernet cables is certainly subjective but I definitely hear a subtle yet difference in sound and IMO enough to say an improvement.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Mike1951

"PEDER - I am sure we will have the £5 cable is fine mob here soon"

£5 gor a bit of door bell cable? Outrageous!

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Huge

Yes my switch to streamer cable cost £5, but that's not the reason I use it.

I use it because it was the best one of all the cables I tested; it beat all the so called 'audiophile' Ethernet cables I tested, a result that surprised me.

YMMV, but please test several cheap 'standard type' Ethernet cables before deciding - they aren't all the same and the best cable in your individual circumstances won't always be the most expensive cable, sometimes it could be the cheapest.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by T38.45

ok, I come back to this thread for further findings. I'm running now an Innous Zen MK3, 8TB internal drive and Roon core.  Setup, build, SW quality ...simply gorgeous!! Apart from that, I'll keep my qnaps for backup. SQ wise it's a big step - tunes are clearer, have more space and backround is "darker". I don't use the dedicated LANport for streaming- the Cisco gives me more /bigger "stage". Not that much difference but enough for me.  Frankly, I was hoping that NAIM would have build such ...as "HDX2"... So my NAS/Roon/switch- journey ends here.

My ethernet/LAN journey is still going on....testing now Epic, Signature and Sarum.... the gap btw Epic and Signature are not that big...Signature is more fluid, hardness is less......but Sarum....THIS is a beast. By far the best cable I tested, everything sounds so right, warm quicksilver fluid, dare to say analog "LP12! like :-) . I can not afford this cable, but it is really outstandig. Next step for me: Epic/Signature vs Tellurium Q (if I can get it for a demo)....

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Obsydian

T38.45 - Good feedback.

Note the Signature and even the EPIC i do not believe use the TUNED ARAY and other methods, these where designed at a compromise to meet a cost.

Recall once when i emailed what cable doc as they call him (it).

The Indigo/Sarum/Sarum T/Music are the ones to go for, though a few have said the Sarum T is 95% of the Music for half'ish of the cost.

Be interested to hear you feedback on the Tellerium, i am looking at the Synergistic Research Atmosphere in the future, but no way of a demo.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by RichardD

I have a pair of the Epic Streaming Cables- one from switch to streamer and the other into a Synology Nas. Have heard great reports on the Innuos servers which have the ethernet pass through. 

Why would you need a switch when you can go to go from router to the Innuos and then into the streamer- isnt this one of the benefits of these products and to give better sound quality 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Kiwi cat

Dearly beloved, verily, arrow should point away from the streamer towards the source, according to my local Naim dealer. There endeth the lesson. 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Well, that’s not what it shows on the Chord website. I’d suggest that your dealer is wrong. Why not try it the other way round?

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Popeye

Arrow should point in the direction the signal is travelling. (To streamer)

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Obsydian

Correct to streamer, but i must admit when i called Chord a whileback i got conflicting advise.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by T38.45

@Obsydian- thanks. The Sarum T costs here >2500E, so it's out of my budget. Epic > 550E, Signature > 950E... Keep you informed about TQ ....

@Richardd- I tested the build in streaming port of Innuos but I like the Cisco approach more. But you're right-  in that setup you don't need a switch :-)

Router----Innous---Streamer

The arrow of the Chord cable shows to the source means: NAS--->-->Streamer, that's what my dealer told me and it states so in the cabling describtion.

By ‘to the source’ do you mean ‘from the source’?

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by T38.45

SORRY- yes source = NAS:-)

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Mike-B

Chord do say connect the cable with the arrow pointing away from the source component.  But hey ho,  if you're happy to believe your dealer is right,  go with it.  

Chord say that because of the Aray - whatever an Aray might be - it’s important to have the cable the right way round. It’s worrying that a Naim dealer would give completely wrong advice. Maybe Chord need to give clearer instructions.