Chord Epic streaming cable

Posted by: T38.45 on 28 November 2018

Just tested some straming cable but Epic wins for me. This cable is incredible fluid! Like quicksilver comes music out of my speaker, never thought that 1m cable can improve SQ....highly recommend!  ...but confused about the arrows they printed on the cable...they say the arrow should direct away from source! what is source if you have a streamer? The NAS or the switch? Strange..

Thanks  folks for recommending Cisco switch and Chord cable...highly appreciated! So my last stop for my digital journey is the Zen MK3 I‘ll get in a few days. 

Ralf

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Mike-B
hungryhalibut posted:

Chord say that because of the Aray - whatever an Aray might be - it’s important to have the cable the right way round. It’s worrying that a Naim dealer would give completely wrong advice. Maybe Chord need to give clearer instructions. 

Yes indeed they do,  confusion.dot.chord

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Peder

???? To all those who are uncertain,....If you are uncertain,..Listen,Turn over the cable, listen again.
Then you know which direction is the real,it's easy to hear the difference.
The difference is mostly heard,..in that it improves the musical performance,..not the sound.

/Peder ????

Peder,  you seem to be missing the point,  the question is about the Chord instructions on this.  

hungryhalibut posted:

Chord say that because of the Aray - whatever an Aray might be - it’s important to have the cable the right way round. 

As I understand its a form of stub tuned circuit.   But my info is from way back when Chord first got into this,  maybe one of the other technophiles can fill in the blanks.

Mike-B posted:

Peder,  you seem to be missing the point,  the question is about the Chord instructions on this.  

???? Mike-B,....OK,..Thanks.
 But no matter what,..I always listen to the direction that plays the best.

Somebody may have had "A Bad Monday",and flipped the arrow in the wrong direction in production.
Naim had this problem once with the Naca5 speaker cables.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by French Rooster

in this confusion of instructions, the best way, as said Peder, is to trust the ears.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by hungryhalibut
Mike-B posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

Chord say that because of the Aray - whatever an Aray might be - it’s important to have the cable the right way round. 

As I understand its a form of stub tuned circuit.   But my info is from way back when Chord first got into this,  maybe one of the other technophiles can fill in the blanks.

Stub tuned circuit? I’m none the wiser!

Google is your friend Nigel.     https://www.allaboutcircuits.c...-with-a-smith-chart/

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by RichardD

Re the cisco switch which one is being used?  Is the sound quality better into the streamer not using the Innuos passthrough? Ie both the streamer and Innuos connecting to the switch from the router. Re the Mk3 Innuos there is a new power supply which you can add to these and to the MK2 minis also. 

Cool. So it costs about 20p for a couple of bits of wire but when you call it an Aray you can add £200. Got it!

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Jonn

All so called  “high end” audio cables are just bits of wire with a big price tag.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by T38.45
RichardD posted:

Re the cisco switch which one is being used? >C2960 recommended here in the forum- and they are right! ;-) it's really that good!

Is the sound quality better into the streamer not using the Innuos passthrough? Ie both the streamer and Innuos connecting to the switch from the router. Re the Mk3 Innuos there is a new power supply which you can add to these and to the MK2 minis also. >> right, Innuos MK3 has new power supply, and everything is connected to/with the Cisco. So I'm using Innuos as NAS+roon server in one place feeding the ND555 through switch. I don't say the internal port of the Innuos is bad, I just prefer the Cisco route in my setup. 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Popeye
Jonn posted:

All so called  “high end” audio cables are just bits of wire with a big price tag.

Jonn, you definitely need to either go to your dealer and have a listen or get stuff delivered home to test and I guarantee you will eat your words.

agreed scientifically things are sceptical but I couldn’t care about the science when it’s physically audible!!

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Clive B

You could buy a pair of jeans for about £40. But if you wanted to buy them with holes and rips in them, the sky's your limit!

...had same discussion with my dealer...I said 0 is 0 and 1 is 1....now, I'm confused and I like it:-)  the SQ improvements are there- step by step!

Popeye posted:
Jonn posted:

Jonn, you definitely need to either go to your dealer and have a listen or get stuff delivered home to test and I guarantee you will eat your words.

agreed scientifically things are sceptical but I couldn’t care about the science when it’s physically audible!!

Jonn’s not wrong though. These things are priced to be aspirational.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Huge
Jonn posted:

Mine aren't, my High End interconnect cables from the 272 to the 300DR cost less then £40 for the pair.

The use a special low eddy current construction combined with ultra low dielectric constant insulation with a mechanical construction designed for high dimensional stability.

T38.45 posted:

...had same discussion with my dealer...I said 0 is 0 and 1 is 1....now, I'm confused and I like it:-)  the SQ improvements are there- step by step!

Yes a 1 is a 1 and a 0 is a 0; however...

A 1 is also an electrical level, and a 0 is also a different electrical level, and both these electrical levels have a certain amount of noise overlaid on them.  The amplitude and frequency distribution of this noise is influenced by the cable, the terminations and the attached equipment.  This noise interacts with the analogue electronics of the DAC and subsequent stages to alter the analogue electrical signal produced (and hence alter the sound).

As this alteration in sound is completely dependant on the attached electronics and the electrical interference present in the environment, the effect is totally unpredictable; just because a cable is more expensive doesn't mean it will perform any better - purchase cost of an Ethernet cable is absolutely no guide to the effect on the SQ of the system.

agreed- that's why I listen instead of judging things based on physical specs or price.

Huge posted:

The use a special low eddy current construction combined with ultra low dielectric constant insulation with a mechanical construction designed for high dimensional stability.

..........  have you been smoking some of that marketing speak weed Huge ???

Jonn posted:

???? John,..I agree with you.!
There are ridiculous prices on a small piece of cable.
But sorry for us,..so the difference between different cables is clearly audible,the higher the prices will be.

I am currently testing different powercords from the same brand.
Prices are between £360:- to £3600:-,..It is really sick that a powercord of 1.5 m can cost £3600:-.

That's well about what an Naim Uniti Star costs in the UK.?

So your cable option sounds interesting Huge.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Jonn
Popeye posted:
Jonn posted:

I wasn’t suggesting that cables don’t make a difference, just commenting on the over inflated mark-up in price as noted by HH on what are essentially “bits of wire” wrapped in insulation.

Mike-B posted:
Huge posted:

..........  have you been smoking some of that marketing speak weed Huge ???

No just showing how a little valid science can so easily be turned into nonsensical marketing speak (and having a bit of fun doing it !)

The cables use dual concentric cylinder construction consisting of a thin single layer lapped screen and a thin tubular lapped inner core, so reducing eddy currents within the conductors, and as there's less PD between the individual strands in each conductor this means that less of the signal passes from strand to strand through the 'casual' contact between strands.

The dielectric is a cellular cross-linked polyethylene that has a very low dielectric constant (almost the same as PTFE), but is more dimensionally stable than PTFE as it doesn't suffer from so much stress induced creep.

Huge posted:

No just showing how a little valid science can so easily be turned into nonsensical marketing speak (and having a bit of fun doing it !)

yup it took a millisecond for me to get the fun part Huge.    I also looked at that cables spec & construction a while back, interesting & its easy to see where they get the cost from.  But @ $3.65 a foot retail its nothing compared to the loony toones cable pricing,   & its a good indicator of the real cost of fancy cable. 

...apart from that, I would like to thank the folks here in the forum for their tipps! I learned a lot during the last weeks (some where cheap and some costs me a lot of money:-)))  ....I'm off now in holiday enjoy my digital front-end!!

Ralf