Husker Du

Posted by: Bob Edwards on 18 September 2000

Are there any other Husker Du fans out there ? I have been a fan of theirs for a long time and sometimes wonder if I am the only one here who can play Flip Your Wig at levels (seemingly) approaching a manic live Husker show.

On a related note--does anyone know of any groups in a similar vein that are worth a listen ?

Cheers,

Bob

PS--For those who are not familiar, the Huskers were post-punk hardcore types with phenomenal hooks and melodies.

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Are there any other Husker Du fans out there ? I have been a fan of theirs for a long time and sometimes wonder if I am the only one here who can play Flip Your Wig at levels (seemingly) approaching a manic live Husker show.

I was quite partial to Husker Du, though now only seem to have 'Metal Circus', 'Warehouse', and 'Candy Apple Grey', don't know where my copy of 'Zen Arcade' has gone.

I certainly can't get anything like gig levels out a pair of Kans, but that Husker Du guitar sound still really kicks and has tons of bite.

quote:
On a related note--does anyone know of any groups in a similar vein that are worth a listen ?

The first Firehose album 'Raging full on' on SST records is still the best record I have for ultra tight drums / bass / guitar - I never dem a hi-fi without it, usually to the annoyance of overly square shop staff. Martin Carr from the Boo Radleys has named his current solo project 'Brave Captain' after track two side one (in fact he bought the album from Pink Moon Records Liverpool where I worked - I forced this album on so many of the regulars!). . The vinyl cut is much better than the rather old CD master.

The following Firehose albums never quite made the grade in comparisonFirehose evolved out of the Minutemen, who produced some stunning stuff - try the 'Double nickels to the dime' double album on SST for starters.

I would rate Big Black 'Songs about f***ing', as another real classic of the period, along with 'Evol', 'Sister', 'Daydream Nation' and 'Goo' by Sonic Youth, and virtually everything by The Pixies. 'Locust abortion technician' by The Butthole Surfers is essential too, though the current vinyl pressing is truly awful, the Meat Puppets are well worth a look too - all just been very well CD re-mastered.

Tony.

PS Kevin H probably has a big list to add here…

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Kevin Hughes
quote:
PS Kevin H probably has a big list to add here…

I would jump right in and recommend loads but for the fact that I don't know much about Husker Du, they are on my 'to buy' list though. I do have some Sugar (a Bob Mould band) that I like, 'Copper Blue' is the best, but 'Beaster' is very full on and fab to.

Failing that I still agree with Tony's recommendations as great records with lots of guitar abuse / tunes. Will add that 'Daydream Nation' is the Sonic Youth album to start with, and Surfer Rosa is the best Pixies album. And 'Atomiser' by Big Black is almost as great as 'Songs About Fucking'.

And do you have 'Psychocandy' by the Jesus and Mary chain, guitars, distortion, feedback and melody in colossal quantities.

Kevin.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hughes on TUESDAY 19 September 2000 at 11:41.]

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Bob Edwards
Kevin and Tony--

Thanks--I'm appalled to say I have all the records you suggested and like them, too. Seem's like I'll have to go underground even further to find the Husker clones.

Also--if you don't have Bob Mould's first solo album "Workbook" go buy it immediately--phenomenal record that is a bit of a shock after "Warehouse."

Cheers,

Bob

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by David Hobbs-Mallyon
Bob,

I think Tony has mentioned a set of records that certainly gives the ears a bashing. 'New Day Rising' has Husker Du at full pelt, 'Warehouse' sounds quite tame in comparison. I seem to remember the Bob Mould album being a bit of a disappointment apart from 'Whichever Way the Wind Blows'. At the end of the day, nothing quite sounds like Husker Du.

Big Black - Atomiser is a great record. On CD it's called 'The Rich Man's Eight Track' - it has some extra tracks - 'Heartbeat' is certainly worth having - also some typical vitriol by Steve Albini in the sleeve about the record industry.

From the same period, I'd also recommend the two My Bloody Valentine Albums. Variable records - but some really great tracks on both, but if you like playing loud these really test the system. If you can get hold of the single 'You Made Me Realise' this is also worth getting. Alas, I now have to wait for the family, neighbours, and rest of the street are away before playing any of these.

David

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Bob,

Maybe you should be telling us what to buy, always up for some new suggestions.

As you like everything listed so far I will just list some bands that you may also like, yell if you want any more info on any.

Breeders
Cay
Dinosaur Jr
The God Machine
Green Day
Head of David
Mudhoney
My Bloody Valentine
Swans
Teenage Fanclub

All the above were abvailable on vinyl at some stage....

Kevin.

Posted on: 27 September 2000 by Simon Jenkins
Guys,

Cant comment how close they are to Husker Du as I dont own any of their records, but in a similar mould to some of the others try Sebadoh. Cant think of any specific album of the top of my head as I'm at work. Some of their stuff is a bit variable, but there are a couple of truly exceptional albums. Also early Pavement, slanted and enchanted is truly awesome.

Simon

Posted on: 27 September 2000 by Bob Edwards
Kevin, Rothko, Simon--

Thanks for replying--there are a couple of groups listed I have not heard, and will pick their records up. Luckily Denver has a good selection of vinyl, especially considering its size.

I heard the same thing about Bob Mould (I think I have almost everything he, Grant Hart, Husker, Sugar etc recorded) but I have also heard that he is working on some stuff for another record.

Also--if anyone hasn't tried the "lo-fi" movement, try something from Low, Sebadoh (sp ?), etc. "Lo fi" was a significant influence for the Bob Mould "Hubcap" record (at least according to an interview with him)>

Cheers,

Bob

Posted on: 29 September 2000 by Simon Jenkins
Ok guys,

Which Husker Du album/s do you recommend for a beginner. My tastes are pretty full on, I have LP's and CD's by pretty much every other band on the thread.

Cheers

Simon

Posted on: 29 September 2000 by Kevin Hughes
quote:
if anyone hasn't tried the "lo-fi" movement, try something from Low

Agreed, Low are rather special, I just love the Secret Name album. It is worth pointing out that they sound about as diffrent form Husker Du as it is possible to do whilst still using the same instruments. You would never guess Steve Albini was involved in making the record either. Oh also lo-fi does not refer to the recording quality.

Speaking of Albini anyone familiar with Shellac, any good?

Kevin.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hughes on FRIDAY 29 September 2000 at 15:53.]

Posted on: 30 September 2000 by Bob Edwards
Simon--

For just starting out with the Huskers I would probably get "Flip Your Wig" followed by either "Warehouse: Songs and Stories" or "New Day Rising." "Zen Arcade" is essential in addition to the three mentioned above; "Candyapple Gray", "Metal Circus," "The Living End", "Land Speed Record," "Everything Falls Apart (first studio record) and "Everything Falls Apart and More" can be picked up at your leisure.

Also, Bob Mould's solo records are (IMO) spectacular--start with "Workbook" and then go "Black Sheets of Rain," then "Bob Mould" (better known among fans as the Hubcap record), with "Last Dog and Pony Show" being his latest. Grant Hart's album "Intolerance is fairly good--worth a pickup.

Sugar was the band Bob Mould formed after "Black Sheets of Rain"; Sugar's albums "Copper Blue" and an EP called "Beaster" (outtakes from Copper Blue) are outstanding--their album "File Under: Easy Listening (FU:EL) (Ha !) is less convincing--apparently he was not happy with bassist David Barbe.. (What IS it with him and bassists, anyway ?)

Anyway, sorry to ramble--post or email for more !

Cheers,

Bobb

Posted on: 01 October 2000 by Simon Jenkins
Thanks Bob

Looks like a fairly comprehensive list to get me started. Time to go record hunting I think.

Simon