Music Quiz

Posted by: woodface on 06 October 2000

Just a bit of fun that should sort out those who listen to music from those that listen to their hifi. Dead simple: 1st correct respondent gets to set the next question. I will start it off with an easy(ish) one.
Which Beatles Albumn ends with the following lyrics: 'I want to tell her that I love her a lot/But I have got to have a belly full of wine/I want to tell her that I love her a lot and one day I'm gonna make her mine'
Posted on: 09 October 2000 by Mike Hanson
This one just rang a bell. I think it's Nick Cave. I can't recall the exact title of the novel, but it's something like "The Ass and the Angel". BTW, I can't stand Nick Cave, even though I love Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen (a "good" Canadian musical artist, just to prove Kevin wrong ). Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

This one was really bugging me. I was thinking it had something to do with the Beatles, but I couldn't remember for sure. I called a friend who's heavily into music trivia; he chuckled, chided me for my poor memory, and said "Paul McCartney".

I knew that I had heard this before! It turns out that my friend had played some Bonzo for me one night while we were listening to Zappa et al. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 09 October 2000 by Pete
Well, it has to be something Skylarking era I'd think, as TR produced that. Originally "Dear God" was just a single B-side, and only got on to album cuts after it got airplay, originally through US college radio I think. So, I'm guessing at "Dear God"? Do I get points (and we know what points mean...).

Pete.

Posted on: 09 October 2000 by woodface
Apollo C. Vermouth = Paul McCartney. I cannot believe I did not realise sooner, I think I misread the original question!
The BNL Q has certainly opened a can of worms!
Is the XTC question genuine? I think if we become too obscure the thread will lose it's way.
Here is a somewhat straight forward Q. which may help to get back on track. 'What single factor distinguished the White Albumn from the Beatles previous lp releases.' NB The fact that it was a double albumn is not the response I AM looking for.
Bzzzzt! Sorry, album is correct, but the song is not. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 09 October 2000 by Pete
Well done getting Apollo C. Vermouth as Macca, that is indeed correct. And with that gloriously Beatles-esque link I pronounce the White Album to be remarkable as a Beatles album because...

• It is the first and only Beatles album to have any completely dreadful and unlistendable cack on it ("Revolution 9", of course)
  • It is the first (and only?) Beatles album to have songs by all 4 members on, since "Don't Pass Me By" was, IIRC, the first song Ringo wrote that the group recorded

Am I right? (well, I am right, but is that what you were looking for?

Pete.

p.s., Don't know the actual XTC track, and will save going through the Skylarking track list record by record until I get it, as that could take until, well, 25 o'clock or so...

[This message was edited by Pete on MONDAY 09 October 2000 at 16:14.]

[This message was edited by Pete on MONDAY 09 October 2000 at 16:16.]

quote:
Is the XTC question genuine?

Yes, it's genuine. As I said earlier, I discussed it with Andy Partridge himself.

quote:
I think if we become too obscure the thread will lose it's way.

Yes, this is a potential issue. However, I've heard the XTC tidbit in a variety of venues, so it should be OK.

BTW, the questions shouldn't be easily ascertainable by a simple web search. A true trivia question must take actual human knowledge (either yours or a close friend's), and not Internet search skills. In the case of my XTC question, I verified that it wasn't easily available via the net before posing it. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 09 October 2000 by woodface
Pete, with regard to the White Albumn poser. 1)Yellow Submarine predated Revolution No. 9 so I cannot except that! 2) Good answer but not the one I am looking for. It is difficult to elaborate without giving the answer or makeing it too easy but here goes. Although the 'White Albumn'was unique when compared to it's predcessors because of this factor' it did set a precedent that was repeated on a later albumn.
Posted on: 09 October 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
Well done, Mike Hanson, Nick Cave is the answer.

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 09 October 2000 by Chris Metcalfe
Is it 'Ballet for a rainy day'?
Sorry, that isn't right. Let me add another hint. XTC (and Andy Partridge in particular) are known for their punny metaphors, as well as their poppy musical hooks. The correct answer fits this description (as do at least half the songs on this album ).

If no one gets it, I'll post the answer tomorrow morning (approximately noon GMT). Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Someone already guessed that, and that's not the one. Here's a quote from the Chalkhills website:

quote:
Originally Skylarking was released with the song "Mermaid Smiled" appearing in between "Another Satellite" and "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul". "Dear God" was originally released as the B-side to the UK Grass single. "Dear God" started getting some airplay in the US, so Geffen withdrew initial copies of the Skylarking LP and re-released the LP, removing "Mermaid Smiled" and adding "Dear God" in between "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul" and "Dying".

The UK Skylarking CD preserves the original running order with "Mermaid Smiled" and sans "Dear God"; the US CD has "Dear God" but no "Mermaid Smiled". There is, however, a Canadian CD that has the same running order as the original UK CD (including "Mermaid Smiled"), but also adds "Dear God" as a bonus track to the end of the album.

How's that for triva? Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 10 October 2000 by Pete
Well, from the clues of discussions with AP we can assume it isn't one of The Red Curtain's contributions, and it isn't "Ballet" or "God", so that leaves us...

Summer's Cauldron
That's Really Super, Supergirl
1000 Umbrellas
Season Cycle
Earn Enough for Us
Another Satellite
Man Who Sailed Around His Soul

But it's a "punny metaphor". Oh.

Takes hatpin, inserts it into monitor, hits "Season Cycle"?

Pete.

Posted on: 10 October 2000 by Mike Hanson
Yes, the answer is that "That's Really Super, Supergirl" was rumoured to be written by Todd Rundgren. There's a number of reasons this rumour began:

• Andy Partridge and Todd Rundgren were constantly bickering during the recording, with an extreme clash of egos. Rundgren reorgranized the tracklist on Skylarking to form a song cycle representing a progression of a summer's day. He felt that he understood the intent of the music better than the writers of the songs. (Read as: "He knew the XTC formula".)
  • Many feel that Supergirl didn't fit the progression. (Read as: "Supergirl was an afterthought, and maybe wasn't even written by XTC.")
  • Rundgren did conceive and play the keyboards for the track, yet didn't get any credit. (Read as: "Maybe he wrote more than the keyboard part.")

BTW, my wife knew the answer to this one, so she wanted to offer the following question:

What non-musical job did both Cyndi Lauper and her husband perform?

Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 10 October 2000 by Rico
errr ... was that boxing or wrestling promotion?

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 10 October 2000 by Mike Hanson
They each "managed" professional "wrestlers". You get to pop the next question, Rico. Make it a good one. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

[This message was edited by Mike Hanson on TUESDAY 10 October 2000 at 23:37.]

Posted on: 11 October 2000 by Rico
tks Mike

Q. Where was Biggles, and when did you need him?

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 11 October 2000 by Pete
Biggles would have been down in Cornwall, round about last Saturday. Apparently writing memoirs for a Boy Scout manual, or some such.

So, the next question is a slight change of format. Think the "6 degrees of separation" game, but rather than from A.N. Actor to Kevin Bacon, you have to get from Geri Halliwell to Robert Fripp (I can do it in 3, it's not meant to be impossible, though feel free to use all 6 hops if you need them).

Pete.

Posted on: 11 October 2000 by Rico
It was indeed, last Saturday.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 11 October 2000 by bob atherton
"get from Geri Halliwell to Robert Fripp"

Hey, I can do it in less than that!

Geri Halliwell = One More Red Nightmare = Robert Fripp

OK, it's not the right answer, but I couldn't resist.

Bob.

Posted on: 11 October 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Think the "6 degrees of separation" game, but rather than from A.N. Actor to Kevin Bacon, you have to get from Geri Halliwell to Robert Fripp (I can do it in 3, it's not meant to be impossible, though feel free to use all 6 hops if you need them).

Geri is more than a bit weird… so is Toyah… Fripp married Toyah.

Tony.

Posted on: 11 October 2000 by Pete
Laudable try Tony, with lateral approach points, but missing the even more obvious "Geri is more than a bit weird, and so is Fripp" 1 shot connection means I can't give it to you...

Also kudos to Bob, though I think the band would need to be King Ginger to let you get away with that one! ;-)

Pete.

Posted on: 11 October 2000 by bob atherton
Ok, Geri was in the Spice Girls. In the mid 60's early Uriah Heep band was called Spice, ( Mick Box, David Byron, Paul Newton & Alex Napier ).
Later John Wetton joined U. Heep. He then teamed up with Fripp in King Crimson. Phew......

Bob.

Posted on: 11 October 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Q) How do you get from Old Spice to Fripp in 3 to 6 goes.

A)

1) Geri is very good mates with Elton John
2) Elton worked with John Lennon
3) Lennon worked with Tony Levin
4) Levin worked with Fripp.

Do I get to ask the next question Pete?

Kevin.

Posted on: 12 October 2000 by Pete
... though you could have easily short-circuited that, as Elton John failed an audition for a King Crimson in the distant and murky past!

I still haven't got the White Album question, but will point out that Woodface's original question contains an error, substituting a second "I want to tell her that I love her a lot" in place of the correct "Her Majety's a pretty nice girl". So there!

Pete.