Music Quiz

Posted by: woodface on 06 October 2000

Just a bit of fun that should sort out those who listen to music from those that listen to their hifi. Dead simple: 1st correct respondent gets to set the next question. I will start it off with an easy(ish) one.
Which Beatles Albumn ends with the following lyrics: 'I want to tell her that I love her a lot/But I have got to have a belly full of wine/I want to tell her that I love her a lot and one day I'm gonna make her mine'
Posted on: 12 October 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Q. which may help to get back on track. 'What single factor distinguished the White Albumn from the Beatles previous lp releases.'

First release on Apple records?

Tony.

Posted on: 12 October 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Pete,

Want to let us know what link you were thinking of?

Q) Name at least 2 UK indie acts who have released versions of their own songs in French. You are not allowed Stereolab as that is to easy.

Kevin.

Posted on: 12 October 2000 by Pete
Was in fact through Elton John, appearing in the Spiceworld movie as himself, and failing to get into KC, membership including one R. Fripp.

Can't do the Indie/French Q, someone else's turn...

Pete.

Posted on: 12 October 2000 by Rico
quote:
Q. which may help to get back on track. 'What single factor distinguished the White Albumn from the Beatles previous lp releases.'

First double album?

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 13 October 2000 by Rico
Von Klemperer

Werner Klemperer

Hogan's Heroes. Which, incidentally, compes out a little differently if you mistype 'p' for 'o'.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 13 October 2000 by John Schmidt
Rico,

You're right. How about another question?

John Schmidt
"95% of everything is crud" - Theodore Sturgeon

I am? Hey, not bad for a Classical Heathen.

Hmmm....

Q. : "all the girls are slags, and the beer tastes just like piss". Name that tune, and the record it came from. 10 bonus points for naming the Bassist.

Rico - musichead

Sorry. I'll have to turn this over.

(oooh isn't this fun - now I know what Mark Lamar does on Friday nights on Never Mind The Buzzcocks!)

Rico - musichead

Hey - I did admit to being a Classical Heathen, and am in need of education. It was a wild guess.

Ask again, Vuk.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 14 October 2000 by Rico
quote:
Hint: think about the circumstances surrounding the composition of the 8th symphony.

What - he composed it in an eastern-european sausage factory?

I've been trying to find the Brightman connection, but keep losing my way. I'll try again later - this flu is getting me down.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by woodface
Sorry to keep you in suspense but I have been ill over the last few days so have not been near my P.C. The answer I was looking for was that the it was the first Beatles album to have an outsider play on it i.e Eric Clapton. This set a bit of a precedent as Billy Preston played played on 'Let it Be' and Phil Spector also gatecrashed the party by butchering the 'long and winding road'. This question is a bit difficult to word without making it too easy - by the way I am assuiming you know which track E.C. played on? Anyway here's the next poser: Which band are responsible for these charming lyrics 'Thats the way it goes, you put a bullet through your nose, they always said you were a son of a bitch and thats the way it goes'. If you also know the album and songtitle please feel free to wear a gold star and call yourself 'Dr Pop'

[This message was edited by woodface on MONDAY 16 October 2000 at 12:26.]

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Pete
The White album is very definitely not the first Beatles album with outsiders playing on it. I think you can very much rest assured that the boys didn't do the strings for Sgt. Peppers', or for Eleanor Rigby come to think of it. Or the brass band beginning to play on Yellow Submarine, and so on. You migth've had the first Fab Four LP to have Billy Preston playing on it (as he does), but not "an outsider" (there are about 3 dozen others besides BP on the White Album btw, and that's not an exaggeration).

EC was on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", of course.

Pete.

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Pete
Bryars was in Portsmouth Sinphonia
PS were shite
So is Sarah Brightman

Mind you, PS were quite deliberately shite, so perhaps a bit of a cheat.

Bryars has worked with Eno (on Discreet Music, as well as via the Sinphonia)
Eno wrote Music for Airports
Sarah Brightman has used an airport at some point...

Can't do it in 3, but within the usual 6, Bryars has worked with Michael Nyman (1), who did string arrangements for Kate Bush (2) on the Sensual World, KB covered Elton John's (3) "Rocket Man", EJ has made some dreadful soundtracks for Disney with Tim Rice (4), who did some musicals with Andrew Lloyd Webber (5) who was married to (ta-daaaaaaa!) Sarah Brightman (6) after she sang (sic) in his musical "Cats".

Pete.

[This message was edited by Pete on MONDAY 16 October 2000 at 13:54.]

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by woodface
E.C. was the first outsider to play on a beatles record as you cannot really count session musicians who are generally anon. Using this logic you could pretty much name any of the albums as GM or a.n. other could have played uncredited. And according to the various sources I have at my disposal E.C. was the 'first'. This situation ultimately split the group apart as they realised that they could operate independently. As I intimated it is a difficult question to word and the ambiguous language I used added to the confusion. I think it is easy for all parties to be wise after the event! Any answers to my other question?
Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Tony L
quote:
The White album is very definitely not the first Beatles album with outsiders playing on it. I think you can very much rest assured that the boys didn't do the strings for Sgt. Peppers', or for Eleanor Rigby come to think of it.

It was however the time they released an album on their new Apple Records... so I win by default.

Ok... get from The Beatles to Ash Ra Temple in one move...

Tony.

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Tony Smith
Q. : "all the girls are slags, and the beer tastes just like piss". Name that tune, and the record it came from. 10 bonus points for naming the Bassist.

Rico - musichead

I know you defaulted Rico but I had to answer this one (becasue it's the first I've known staight off)

It's from Nite Club on The Specials by The Specials and Sir Horace Gentleman played bass.

If I'm allowed to set a question I'll ask:

Where do the following lyrics come from:

"and after a while you can work on points for style - like the club tie and the firm hand shake, a sudden look in the eye, an easy smile"

Eeesy peeesy methinks

Tony

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Is it to do with Ravi Shankar?

No.

Tony.

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Rico
Well done, Tony. It was indeed, the Specials.

quote:
"and after a while you can work on points for style - like the club tie and the firm hand shake, a sudden look in the eye, an easy smile"

This comes from Pink Floyd's Animals album... Pigs (three different ones) perhaps?

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Pete
Still not convinced by Woodface's arguments. For a start, Billy P and Yoko Ono were credited along with EC on the White Album, so citing EC as the first external artist sounds pretty dodgy to me. Especially as there isn't any particular problem getting a credits list for earlier albums with lots of non-anonymous folk on them (Andy White played drums on Please Please Me, for example), and on top of that, you have to include George Martin as one of the Beatles if you really want to get away with this. Furthermore, reasoning that EC's presence demonstrated that they could be independent also sounds dodgy to me: the whole of the White Album demonstrates they knew that before they got going on it. And though I like Tony's "first release on Apple", I think my "first songwriting credit for Ringo" was a good answer too...

For Tony's quote, it is from Animals, but Dogs rather than Pigs. Completes with "You have to be trusted, by the people that you lie to, so that when they turn their backs on you, you'll get the chance to put the knife in".

So, with that in mind, what other backstabbing imagery has Happy Roger come up with (think visual as well as lyrical)?

Pete.

[This message was edited by Pete on TUESDAY 17 October 2000 at 11:18.]

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Tony L
Pete said:
quote:
And though I like Tony's "first release on Apple", I think my "first songwriting credit for Ringo" was a good answer too...

Aha, but it does not comply with his later clue:

quote:
Although the 'White Album' was unique when compared to it's predcessors because of this factor' it did set a precedent that was repeated on a later albums.

… whereas my answer does.

Anyway, a clue to the Beatles / Ash Ra Temple link can be found on Revolver.

Tony.