Ninka - a stinker?

Posted by: Chris Metcalfe on 06 January 2001

I know there's another thread going re Naim & non-Naim speakers, but what the heck - this forum's all about starting new topics!

I just spent an evening with the new Linn Ninka speakers - in the hope that they would continue the mellowness and coherence I still hear in my 8-yr-old Keilidhs, and maybe add some of the dynamics and openness of the Credo, without the rather brittle top end.

What I heard was an incredibly detailed and upfront speaker, with a squeaky-clean and almost plasticky treble, but none of the warmth I've usually heard in better Linn components - a bit like moving from a 1990 LP12 to a very bright CD player, say. They're quite tall and sculpted in a very obvious way; so I'm forced to the conclusion that Linn have engineered a cost-effective product to stand out and shout, both aurally and visually, in showrooms. Truly a speaker for the 21st century!

But maybe some will love them; me, I couldn't live with them, run-in or not. So I'm still after the updated SBL, or budget NBL, which Naim must surely produce.....

Posted on: 06 January 2001 by Steve Toy
There is more to life than Linn and Naim where speakers are concerned.Ruark have a couple of floorstanders, at £750 and £1500, both of which are well balanced. For me , female vocals don't sing with all the expression they can muster with Keilids, but maybe you like this laid-back sound.
Personally I swear by my Rega Naos(£998), for just about everything. As yet, they have not been reviewed by any magazine, but who cares!
Posted on: 06 January 2001 by Chris Metcalfe
Thanks both. I really liked the Ruark (Solus?) I heard last year at the Bristol (UK) show, driven by a system almost identical to my own. I've not yet heard the Neats (any of them) - I'll search them out. I'm due to borrow a pair of SBLs shortly, so that'll be interesting... even though my girlfriend thinks they're 'really ugly'.

Just tried the Ninkas again - 'Quacky' is another word which springs to mind - which nicely matches the yellowy maple finish... bit disappointing, but as you say, I guess they weren't meant to be used in this kind of system.

Posted on: 06 January 2001 by Bob Edwards
Chris et al--

I am a bit surprised--I heard Ninkas at my dealers off a CDS2/52/500 and they sounded spectacular--quite a bit better than the Keilidhs (which are very good on their own). I would agree they don't represent as large a step forward as SBLs would from Keilidhs, but the Ninkas were a definite advance.

Cheers,

Bob @ Qwest

Ride the Light !

Posted on: 07 January 2001 by Bob Edwards
Ugo--

I have heard all the Dunlavys, been to the factory, and met the man himself. The speakers aren't bad, but they will never win the flat earth sweepstakes. They offer good imaging, soundstaging, extension, etc, but are somewhat confused temporally and dynamically. SBLs are MUCH faster and time much better while offering a drier and better controlled bass (even if the extension doesn't match the bigger Dunlavys), while DBLs are simply in a totally different league in terms of musical communication.

Actually, in a Naim system I would rather have Vandersteens--and the Vandys are much better on the VFM scale.

As for the Ninkas, well, if a speaker doesn't sound good off a CDS2/52/500 then it never will. Still, the Ninkas, in my dealers big room, sounded great--good timing, communicativeness, and so on.

Cheers,

Bob

Posted on: 07 January 2001 by Chris Murphy
The great marketing books suggest that no, the customer isn't always right.... he IS the reason you are there though!!

Chris.

Posted on: 07 January 2001 by Bob Edwards
Ugo--

I was a bit harsh on the Dunlavys above, didn't mean to be. They are made by people who clearly care a great deal about music reproduction, and are very good at what they try to achieve. I think the difference is that Dunlavy and Naim try to achieve different things when building speakers; what Naim accomplishes is more important to me than what the Dunlavys do well. As I have pointed out on this forum a time or two before, different people have different tastes and want different things from their stereos. That is what makes it fun. As an example, Vuk thinks Mana is a massive upgrade. I, on the other hand, think them very good stands but I don't think they approach what Vuk hears from them.

As for the Ninkas, I have no problem at all agreeing to disagree--my dealer is known for making good sound, and like I said above if a speaker doesn't sound good off a CDS2/52/500 it can't.

Cheers,

Bob

Ride the Light !

Posted on: 09 January 2001 by NigelP
Dear all,

I agree with Bob here. I currently use the Ninkas in my NAC52/NAP250/SUPERCAP with great effect. I use an LP12 front-end (yes I still listen to vinly!) and the Ninkas really are capable of making music. For me the bass is the biggest area of improvement with its better control than the Keiledh. Personally I like the open treble which is very revealing. On top of this they look great! As for NBL and SBL. I think that the NBL is the only good-looking speaker that Naim offers and, after all, my wife needs something nice to look at. Trouble is I don't have the room for this speaker so the Ninkas are going to stay.

Nigel