Change country, change voltage!

Posted by: Metallo on 24 March 2010

Hi,

I will be moving to Canada in a few months and I need to convert my equipment from 240V/50Hz to 110V/60Hz, here's what I have:

Naim
  • Nac-72
  • Nap-180
  • Hi-Cap

Linn
  • Sondek LP12 Valhalla PS

I guess I do not need to worry about the Nac-72 and I understand it is better to avoid a step up transformer for "quality" reasons.

From what I read in this forum, both Nap-180 and Hi-Cap can be "easily" converted by modifying the wiring in the internal transformers (dual tap). Here I need only a confirmation this is true.

What else should I pay attention to?

What about the frequency 50 to 60Hz?
    Power cord?
    Fuse?

Regarding the Sondek, I'd rather like to keep my Valhalla supply.

My question is: is there also an "easy" way to convert to 110V/60Hz or should I profit and buy in Canada an Armageddon or Lingo supply?

I know those alternatives represent an upgrade but I'd rather prefer to keep my Valhalla, at least for the moment.

Thank you for your precious help!

Regards
    Alex
  • Posted on: 24 March 2010 by Stoik
    Bonjour Alex, et bienvenue au Canada! Big Grin

Dimexs is the canadian distributor for Naim, and those guys would gladly assist you with the conversion of your Naim gears... and your upgrade to the 'Geddon. Big Grin

Alternatively, you could get some help for your Linn at Audioclub if you're moving in the Montreal area.

No problem with the 60 Hz, but yes, the AC cords and fuses will be replaced by the appropriate types. But don't worry, it's a "clef en main" service that will be carried out, the only job left for you will be to install your converted equipments... and you could also get recommendations for pro installers, if you don't want to touch anything.

Again, welcome to Canada. Cool

Bye.
    Posted on: 24 March 2010 by winkyincanada
    Yes, welcome to Canada, where the music is better.
    Posted on: 24 March 2010 by Stoik
    quote:
    Originally posted by winkyincanada:
    Yes, welcome to Canada, where the music is better.

...But where the wine is a lot more expensive! Big Grin

OTOH, girls here are far more cute, so you won't need to drink much to get all the "inspiration" required. Winker

Bye.
    Posted on: 24 March 2010 by shoot6x7
    Where in Canada will you be moving to ?

Stoik is in Quebec, Winky in BC and I'm in Ontario
    Posted on: 25 March 2010 by Metallo
    Hi all,

thanks for the warm welcoming in Canada, although I believe "warm" does not completely match when it refers to temperatures Big Grin

Well, I will be moving to NB (Fredericton or Moncton) not sure yet.
    I am aware the closest dealer is probably Brooklyn Audio in Dartmouth (NS), therefore I think to have better options to do the voltage tricks here in Italy.

You didn't tell me whether I have a chance to keep my Valhalla or I definitely need to go for an external PS, therefore I appreciate your opinion on this. Confused

Regarding the power cords, is it only a question to change the plug to type B?

Frequency, does it mean Naim amps can switch automatically from 50 to 60 Hz?

I am fond of Hi-End since I was a child, but I have a strong interest in understanding how things work from a technical point of view, that's why I am asking more "technical details". Smile

BTW, wine is more expensive in Canada true Eek I will try to import some Chianti with the container Big Grin

Once again, thanks for your support!

Alex
    Posted on: 25 March 2010 by Richard Dane
    Alex, I would strongly recommend you let Dimexs do the work for you when the kit arrives in Canada. They are very familiar with this work. I've seen some real horrors come through Naim's service department where voltage change has been done poorly. In many cases, the voltage indicator has not been changed either which can cause real confusion and ultimately tragedy for the unwitting. In the worst cases, the equipment was potentially lethal. AFAIK, it's not too expensive to have done by Dimexs and it is absolutely something you should leave to the experts.

FYI, the voltage change consists of rewiring of the transformer, replacement fuse, new voltage indicator for the case, and new mains lead, followed by a soak test.
    Richard,

I have taken good note of your advice, the problem I see is the distance between Montreal and the place I will be living, 500 miles Eek
    On the other hand, I am sure Naim have provided their dealers with clear instructions on how to do this kind of intervention... at least I hope Roll Eyes that's why I am thinking to do it here, but I understand that to do it on place has some advantages.

Also, have you got an opinion regarding the Valhalla PS and voltage change?

Thanks

Cheers
    Alex
    Posted on: 25 March 2010 by Richard Dane
    Alex,

fair enough, you could also have the work done by Suonoecommunicazione in Bologna before you go.

Note sure about the Valhalla, I'm afraid. I'm sure Linn can advise here.
    Posted on: 25 March 2010 by TomK
    I had my LP12 (with Valhalla/Nirvana) converted along with my Naim gear when I moved to California in 1987. As far as I remember it was simply a matter of moving either live or neutral from one socket on a pcb to the next. Obviously this is not meant to be a set of instructions Big Grin, merely to say it was an easy conversion. I undid it myself when we returned. Bear in my mind it's now a long time ago so you should talk to Linn.
    Tom,

I am getting to the same conclusion, but I am a bit concerned about the pulley diameter due to the frequency difference...

Let's read some other opinions Smile

Cheers
    Alex
    Posted on: 26 March 2010 by Metallo
    quote:
    Originally posted by Metallo:
    Tom,

I am getting to the same conclusion, but I am a bit concerned about the pulley diameter due to the frequency difference...

Cheers
    Alex

OK, i have been confirmed by the Linn forum that with a Valhalla I don't have to worry about the line frequency. It synthesizes the proper frequency for the motor internally and is unaffected by the line frequency coming in. All you need to do is to move the wire from 220 volt to 110 volt and move the fuse to 110 volt as well. It is the same size fuse so I can just move the existing one over. It is all clearly marked on the board.

Excellent, isn't it?

Alex
    Posted on: 26 March 2010 by TomK
    quote:
    Tom,

Cheers
    Alex

Frequency was not an issue for me. With the simple voltage conversion the LP12 ran perfectly. As far as I remember the Valhalla/Nirvana upgrade removed any frequency dependency. I'd be surprised if any high quality modern day equipment used mains frequency to regulate speed. This isn't still being done is it? Mains frequency fluctuates too much for this surely?

Best advice is to talk to Linn though.
    Posted on: 10 May 2010 by Metallo
    Hi all,

I am just back from Canada where I had an exploratory visit before moving in June.

I am wondering why nobody in this thread has told me that in Canada you can have, in addition to 120V/60Hz, 240V/60Hz too.

Actually the voltage coming from the grid is 240V, which is then split to 120V.

It is very easy to have 240V/60hz in a receptacle (it's already there in the kitchen), therefore, there is no need to change anything in the electronics I will bring over from Europe.

Please, forgive me if I miss something and I hope Canadian hi-end freaks here can explain me whether should I have a good reason to switch my Naims to 110V.

Thanks guys,

Regards,
    Alex
    Posted on: 10 May 2010 by Aleg
    quote:
    Hi all,

I am just back from Canada where I had an exploratory visit before moving in June.

I am wondering why nobody in this thread has told me that in Canada you can have, in addition to 120V/60Hz, 240V/60Hz too.

It is very easy to have 240V/60hz in a receptacle (it's already there in the kitchen), therefore, there is no need to change anything in the electronics I will bring over from Europe.

Please, forgive me if I miss something and I hope Canadian hi-end freaks here can explain me whether should I have a good reason to switch my Naims to 110V.

Thanks guys,

Regards,
    Alex

Alex

But it is still 60Hz instead of 50Hz here in Europe. Isn't that of some importance as well?

-
    aleg
    Posted on: 10 May 2010 by BigH47
    quote:
    But it is still 60Hz instead of 50Hz here in Europe. Isn't that of some importance as well?

Probably not for amps and PSUs, a TT may be effected., I seem to remember alternative motor pulleys, with electronic TT controls and CDPS I'm not sure.
    Posted on: 10 May 2010 by shoot6x7
    quote:

Alex,

You can't use the 240v as this is reserved for stuff like the stove, the dryer and hot tubs.

It would be against the electrical code to use other types of device. You'd need to use a completely different style of plug.

To be brutally honest, it cost me $50 to have my NAP 140 converted from 240v to 120v. To have your house rewired to make the 240v available to other rooms will cost you ten to twenty times that.

As the wiring would be against code, your home insurance would be invalid.

For instance, my dedicated spur, I wanted a 30 Amp cable, but that would mean I have to use a 30 Amp receptacle which won't work with a North American power cord. So the best I could do was 20 Amp cable, receptacle and breaker.

Also, be careful, stuff like Lingo and Armageddon are much harder to find in Canada compared to Europe.

You'll soon learn to be buying stuff from the States !!
    Posted on: 10 May 2010 by Metallo
    quote:
    shoot6x7

Hi Shoot6x7,

thanks for your feedback Smile

Well, in fact, I did not mean the receptacles which feed the range or the dryer, there are specific outlets you can buy (smaller but for 250V), the rest is already in the service panel, you only need a double pole breaker and lay the wires.
    Basically, I can do it myself, but it is true what you say, I may have an issue with the insurance. I will talk to a home inspector and see what he thinks, maybe in NB you are allowed to do it your own till a give number of plugs... but I may be wrong, so to be verified.

Many people claim that two phases voltage sounds much better with amplifiers because more balanced, I cannot say because our 240V in EU is mono-phase.

60Hz is not a problem, even with the Sondek because the circuit will adjust it automatically.
    At the worst, I will switch my Valhalla to 120V.

Hope I can come back soon with an answer over the insurance in NB.

Cheers
    Alex