When was the last concert you went in 2017

Posted by: kuma on 05 January 2017

Ok, my scheduled next concert isn't till Feb but I'll start a new thread for 2017!

Posted on: 07 July 2017 by kuma
Chalshus posted:

When I ordered two tickets for my dad and me in the beginning of february, we did not expect to get the two best seats in the house with Chick Corea and The Electric Band this wednesday.First row, centre

Wow that's terrific! Way to go!

Save

Posted on: 07 July 2017 by Bert Schurink
Chalshus posted:

When I ordered two tickets for my dad and me in the beginning of february, we did not expect to get the two best seats in the house with Chick Corea and The Electric Band this wednesday. First row, centre

Dad has been listening to Mr Corea since the 60s and was over the moon.  I believe this was his first consert with the maestro. 

A great concert!

Saw the guys at the North Sea Jazz festival this evening. Was a very enjoyable concert.

Posted on: 07 July 2017 by kuma

Which tunes did they play?

Posted on: 08 July 2017 by Innocent Bystander

I will preface this by saying that I do not like jazz. However, being in Umbria in Italy for a few days at the time of the Umbria Jazz Festival, I decided to go along and have a listen, because live music of almost any nature is nice, and there would be atmosphere to soak up in the 35-40C heat. And I did enjoy some acts, though mainly the blues and classical-guitar oriented ones, and struggled a bit with the most jazzy ones. However, I took the oportunity to observe others' behaviour, in particular their foot tapping. I would say that of typically 15-20 observable people at any one time, the number tapping feet was between 2 and 5. So even live music does not get a majority tapping. And most interesting of the foot tappers was one individual whose foot was almost taking control of his whole body - but not in time to the music! He must have been a Naim dealer! (cf. the fixation with foot tapping thread)

Posted on: 10 July 2017 by elkman70

I went to see Radiohead in Manchester last Tuesday. Very good. Have been listening to a bit of their stuff at home since then on some Kudos 707s that I have on home dem.

Went to see Linkin Park in Birmingham on Thursday evening. They were ok.

Was in a concert on Sunday playing rhythm guitar to the likes of Dolly Parton, Jolene. Was awesome... �� 

Posted on: 11 July 2017 by count.d

IMG_0784 copy

IMG_0774copyTom Petty (and Stevie Nicks) at BST Hyde Park on Sunday. Right at the front centre. Petty needs to come to the UK more. Superb.

Posted on: 14 July 2017 by Filipe

First Night at the Proms

Listening to this at home via my nDAC. The TV is feed by the Humax FreeSat Box with a £40 AQ  Forrest HDMI cable to the Panasonic TV which is connected to the nDAC via an AQ Forrest toslink costing £60. Despite the probable cheap circuitry in the TV the sound has always been PDG. I bought the nDAC for the TV and play the CDX2 though it as well with a Chord Clearway Digital BNC to BNC (no phono adaptor).

We went to a concert at the RAH on 20 June which I reported on. This concert, the John Adam's Harmonium work in particular, had much of SQ of the live performance with the comforts of my own armchair.

Phil

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by Bert Schurink

I had a nice surprise this morning. Was buying some books for my sisters in law birthday. At the place where I bought the books Hannes Minnaar had a concert with some other musicians. The bookshop is in a church so it was a pretty nice experience. So a kind of unexpected gift....

Posted on: 16 July 2017 by Hook
elkman70 posted:

I went to see Radiohead in Manchester last Tuesday. Very good. Have been listening to a bit of their stuff at home since then on some Kudos 707s that I have on home dem.

I am jealous twice over!! 

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by DudleyC9

Drake of coz

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by al9315

Just seen - Stacey Kent is in Winchester tomorrow night, would love to go, but cannot make it.

Looks like there may be a few tickets left ?!

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by rodwsmith

For the second time in my life I just returned from seeing Yann Tiersen one evening, and Arcade Fire the following night. The first was in Marseille in around 2014, and this time was at the Monforte Jazz Festival in the heart of Barolo in Piemonte, and Milan respectively. Both brilliant concerts, very different, solo versus (large) band. Intimate versus blockbusting.

Despite having sold out the Albert Hall, Tiersen enjoys this small amphitheatre venue so much it is the third time he has played there, to around 500 people. The bar is in a deconsecrated church and the wine is actual Barolo, for €4 for a plastic cup-ful!

This, on the other hand, was €7 for a beer after about fourteen queues for various security and ticket checks. About 4000 people and half a billion mosquitoes. But we loved every minute of it.

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by David O'Higgins

Went to Fleet Foxes in Iveagh Gardens last Thursday, and, as usual, had the ears beaten off me, while everyone cheered. How the engineeers can stand over this travesty baffles me. I have 3 Fleet Foxes Albums ( all 24 bit) and if any of them sounded like this concert, I would never listen to them. I left early and went home to remind myself what these guys really sound like.

This week it's Belle and Sebastian, and I fear we're in for more of the same. If that happens, I'll throw my hat at it!

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by William

Freddie White last.Friday in the Mill Theatre Dublin. A brilliant folk singer and outstanding acoustic guitarist, he's still got it after all these years.

Posted on: 19 July 2017 by TerryP

Went to see and hear Branford Marsalis and Kurt Elling at the Barbican on Sunday 16th. It's difficult to capture such a concert in simple terms, but essentially a night of musical virtuosity from the quartet (Branford, Joey Calderazzo (pianist), Justin Faulkner (percussion) and Eric Revis (bass)) which combined with Kurt's vocal partnership, made for memorable and lyrical interpretations which at times were both taxing and harmonious. As I've heard said before, Kurt doesn’t just interpret a song, he inhabits it.

The memorable songs were (personally) the most melodic; There’s a Boat That’s Leaving Soon for New York (Porgy and Bess), Blue Gardenia, the Chris Whitley poem From One Island to Another, Stings Practical Arrangement and I’m a Fool to Want You which held the audience spellbound until the final breath of the final note was played.

An interesting encore featured the pianist Julian Joseph (due to play with the Liverpool Philharmonic in the autumn) and vocalist Cleveland Watkiss. Their rendition of St James Infirmary was a fitting end to a musical feast. 

Posted on: 21 July 2017 by Kevin-W

25th May - a benefit for a very good cause - the Save Central Hill Community fund and Lambeth Green Party at the Gipsy Hill Tavern in South London. Ese & The Vooduu People headlining. A good, if slightly sparsely-attended, show. Still, we raised a few quid.

17th June - to the Old Dispensary, a great pub-cum-music vennue on the borders of Denmark Hill and Camberwell, South-east London. Ese & The Vooduu People played a blinding set to a lively Saturday night crowd. Made a lot of new friends and picked up some new fans who've become regulars at gigs.

We were delighted to be invited along to the Portobello Gold in Notting Hill on 18th June, for the penultimate gig at this great venue shortly before it closed. It was a rather sombre night, and not hugely well attended, as there was a benefit for the Grenfell Tower victims being held just down the road. But it was a good night - here's a video of Ese & The vooduu People performing one of her originals, "Where Did I Go Wrong", segueing into a fab version of Sly & The Family Stone's "Family Affair":

22nd June: Off to the Albert Hall to see Kraftwerk in 3D. It may sound churlish, but they'd barely changed - technology of the presentation aside - since I last saw them 13 years ago. Substituting the skittish rhythms of "Computer Love", "Radioactivity" and "Airwaves" for a rather moronic techno beat was a mistake. There was a sag for 20 minutes when they did a lot of TDF Soundtracks stuff where it was quite boring.

That said, "Home Computer/It's More Fun To Compute", "Man Machine", "TEE" and "Sacelab" with their retro-futurist graphics were superb. We were in a box on our own so our evening wasn't too spoiled by oafs filming on their mobiles, or by other people's inane chatter.

9th July - Goldfrapp gig #26, and the third time I've seen them at the magical setting of Somertset House. Alison on great form, and the band performing a great, upbeat set with six selections from the new album, and a heavy emphasis on upbeat numbers from previous albums Supernature, Black Cherry, Felt Mountain and Head First.

Posted on: 27 July 2017 by Drewy

25/07/2017

Stereophonics, warm up gig at Plymouth Pavilions. 

Posted on: 27 July 2017 by seakayaker

Attending the 46th Mt Angel Abbey Back Festival.

Last nights performers:

James Welch - Organist - James Welch is the University Organist and lecturer in music at California's Santa Clara University, where he joined the music faculty in January 1993. He also serves as organist at St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Palo Alto.

Program

Johann Sebastian Bach - Prelude and Fugue in D major, BWV 532

Johann Sebastian Bach - Canonic Variations on "Vom Himmel hoch, BWV 769

Robert Hebble - Blessed Assurance

Felix Mendelssohn - Con moto maestoso, from Sonata No. 3

Then Dinner on the Abby Lawn

The Quatuor Sagueenay  — violinists Laura Andriani and Nathalie Camus, violist Luc Beauchemin, and cellist David Ellis.

Johann Sebastian Bach - Art of the fugue, BWV 1080

Marcus Goddard - Allaqi

Franz Schubert - String Quartet in G major, D. 887

A wonderful event that starts out in the Abbey Church at 5:20 if you want to attend Vespers and join in with singing with the Monks. At 6 PM the evenings performance began inside the church with James Welch. Around 6:30 or so everyone moves out to the lawn and where a dinner buffet is available. Then at 8 the evenings feature performance concludes at the Damian Center. Looking forward to the next two evenings.

Festival website: Mt. Angel Abbey Bach Festival

Posted on: 27 July 2017 by seakayaker

Second night Mt Angel Abbey Back Festival

6 PM Abbey Church
James Welch, organ (program 2)

See Wednesday for biography.

Program

Johann Sebastian Bach - Allegro from Concerto in C, BWV 594

Joào de Sousa Carvalho - Sonata in D major

Dale Woods - Wonderful Words of Life

Max Reger - Introduction and Passacaglia

Then Dinner on the Abby Lawn

8 PM Damian Center
Elinor Frey, 5-string cello  and Lorenzo Ghielmi, pianoforte

Program

Carl Friedrich Abel - Sonata for violoncello and basso continuo in G major

Johann Philipp Kirnberger - Sonata for violoncello and basso continuo in C major

Carl Philipp  Emanuel Bach - Claviersonata in G major

Franz Benda - Progressive Exercise no. 25 and Caprice no. 16

Carl Heinrich Graun - Sonata of violoncello solo in C major

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach - Sonata in A minor, Wq. 49