When was the last concert you went in 2017

Posted by: kuma on 05 January 2017

Ok, my scheduled next concert isn't till Feb but I'll start a new thread for 2017!

Posted on: 16 November 2017 by Kevin-W

As far as I know, I don't have a single record by The Pretenders, but I always try and pop out to see them when they're in London - they're a great live band.

On Octber 8th at the Hammersmith Odeon/Apollo they were fantastic, with Ms Hynde in wonderful voice (and looking great too, in a spangly jacket) and a white hot band behind her. I've seen them about a dozen times over the years but I think this was the best I have ever seen them.

Setlist, as I remember it, was: Alone - Gotta Wait - Message of Love - Down the Wrong Way - Private Life - Hymn to Her - Back on the Chain Gang - Talk of the Town - Tequila - Boots of Chinese Plastic - Let's Get Lost - Night in My Veins - I'll Stand by You - Stop Your Sobbing - Don't Get Me Wrong - Thumbelina - Middle of the Road - Adding the Blue - Kid - Precious - Tattooed Love Boys - Break Up the Concrete - Mystery Achievement - Brass in Pocket.

Posted on: 16 November 2017 by MDS

What did you make of the Frapp concert, Kevin?

Posted on: 16 November 2017 by Kevin-W
MDS posted:

Loved it - as if you couldn't guess!

Posted on: 16 November 2017 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:
MDS posted:

Loved it - as if you couldn't guess!

Thanks, Kevin. I must make an effort to see them myself one of these days.  

Posted on: 17 November 2017 by kuma

Muti/Gerstein/CSO

Program

Puccini Preludio sinfonico
R. Strauss Suite from Le bourgeois gentilhomme
Brahms Piano Concerto No. 1

Muti is just excellent with Puccini's work. Expressive and rhythmic as usual. It also extends to Strauss' Gentilhomme. Sense of humour and wonderful lyricism. Robert Chen's violin solo did not sound bright and cold for once!

Gerstein's Brahms PC 1 was ho hum. Too stiff and mechanical. Not enough insights and flow. Adagio felt painfully slow and bland. 3rd movement was relatively ok and generated a lot of excitement but I know it could be a lot better.

Posted on: 18 November 2017 by dave marshall

Fink, at Gorilla, Manchester.

Since the band seem to play so few dates in UK, last night was a rare opportunity to see them live.

The set was largely based on the new album, but did contain sufficient old favourites to keep the crowd happy.

The venue, built into some railway arches, was fairly intimate, with, I'd guess about 400 happy souls within, whilst the P A system and

resultant sound was excellent.

It was one of those nights where one was left feeling that the band were having a great time, and that the evening was turning

into something quite special for them too.

Certainly, the sustained applause after the encore, and the band's reactions to it, were, quite simply, huge grins all round.

In the warm afterglow during what was, for us, a fairly long drive home, I definitely felt quite privileged to have witnessed something

a bit special.  

Posted on: 19 November 2017 by notnaim man

Rhiannon Giddens at the Colston Hall, Bristol last night.

Loving the irony of a great artist, tireless rights worker performing here at a time when a mindless few fight for a name change of the venue.

Sadly the sound for the first few songs was not the best, but it improved.

So many genres covered dislpays just how good this opera trained singer is. Dearly beloved ranks her as up with Ella as a singer.

It's the start of the tour so if there are tickets near you, give it a try, otherwise search out the many online tracks, collaborations and tv videos.

Posted on: 19 November 2017 by elkman70

Deep Purple and Europe last night in Manchester.

just about to see QOTSA in Manchester this evening.

Posted on: 19 November 2017 by kuma

Elkman,

How was the security in Manchester Arena?

Posted on: 20 November 2017 by elkman70

I have to say I thought it was fantastic on both Saturday evening and Sunday evening. No bags allowed and scanners on the way in.

Unfortunately at the QOTSA concert my son had he phone stolen whilst in the mosh pit as did many others. Apparently this happens a lot. I read that the same happened at the QOTSA concert in London on Friday night where 44 phones were stolen.

Still, the scumbags did not get us down and we enjoyed the concert.

Posted on: 20 November 2017 by Adam Zielinski

Friday night  - my band's 

It was fun - part of a festival in a Warsaw club - a long day, including a rehearsal at noon, soundcheck in the afternoon and then a late evening stage appearance.

Posted on: 21 November 2017 by Pev

The Magic Band last night in Bristol at the Fleece. Fantastic show in spite of John French/Drumbo having a virus that affected his voice, so more instrumentals than usual.

The Band were clearly enjoying themselves so much that I can't believe it's really a farewell tour - best twin slide guitar attack since Zoot Horn Rollo! Good news is that Gary Lucas is playing the Fleece on May 20th next year - house guests already booked in from Kent and Devon.

Posted on: 21 November 2017 by Dozey

Three last week, Afro-Celt/Dohl Foundation, Caravan, and Blondie.

Posted on: 23 November 2017 by elkman70

Opeth last night. at Birmingham o2 Institute. Nice little venue, great musicianship. Great concert. 

Posted on: 23 November 2017 by kuma
elkman70 posted:

I have to say I thought it was fantastic on both Saturday evening and Sunday evening. No bags allowed and scanners on the way in.

Unfortunately at the QOTSA concert my son had he phone stolen whilst in the mosh pit as did many others. Apparently this happens a lot. I read that the same happened at the QOTSA concert in London on Friday night where 44 phones were stolen.

Still, the scumbags did not get us down and we enjoyed the concert.

elkman,

So sorry to hear your son's stolen phone. I have not seen scanner at a live event yet ( dogs yes. no bags allowed yes ) In the US, after the Las Vegas shooting, I am sure the surrounding security will be even tighter. ( we still do not know what went wrong there )

Sign of times.

Posted on: 24 November 2017 by elkman70

I guess there must have been 20 scanners so the queues were short.

We think my sons phone has gone for good. Lesson learned is to not display phone, not take phone or take crappy phone.

The three concerts this week were great though

Posted on: 25 November 2017 by Kevin-W

To West London's trendy Mau Mau, where Ese & The Vooduu People were playing a headlining set. Very young crowd (although towards the end some very old geezers turned up). A highlight was a great new jazzier, funkiewr version of "Silver Spoon".

Rather wobbly video a fan shot of "Dynamite" here:

Peter Parker's Rock & Roll Club

The very wonderful Peter Parker's Rock & Roll Club have a residency at Camden's so hiply-retro-it-hurts Rock 'n' Roll Rescue every last Friday of the month, so off I went to see them on Friday 29th September. The Peter (guitar/vox) and Sakura (drums) line-up has been boosted with the addition of Alfredo on bass. Some new songs added to the setlist too, as well as this classic:

There's a very East London, typically hip venue in Hackney, called Paper Dress Vintage, which is above a vintage clothes shop. A pretty decent venue though, with a nice stage. On 15th September the Full Tilt Brass Ensemble were playing there and Ese & The Vooduu people were in support. It was their first gig in the East of the capital, and although they played really well, they hd to work really hard to win over the "so... impress me!" crowd.

After getting back from my hols, I had my fourth Goldfrapp gig of the year to look forward to - at the Brixton Academy on November 10. It was also the last night of the tour, so many of us were hoping Alison and the band would pull out all the stops, and they didn't disappoint. Very brave choice to start off with Zodiac Black, and a good balance of Silver Eye stuff alongside the Frapp bangers.

This was by far the best of the four shows I'd seen this year (great sound too, if you were in the right place).A great Goldfrapp crowd too, and we were out until 3.30am partying and drinking with other Frappers in and around Brixton.

Will was lurking at the mixing desk and the whole thing was being professionally filmed, so we all hope there will be a DVD further down the line.

Here are a couple of YouTube vids (not shot by me, BTW):

Setlist:

Posted on: 25 November 2017 by Shropshire Hills

Oysterband at Union Chapel in Islington as part of 40th Anniversary tour and brilliant venue and band in great form - hard to beat live music for atmosphere and sound and communal interest but Naim gives us a very good second best

Bob

Posted on: 25 November 2017 by MDS
Shropshire Hills posted:

Oysterband at Union Chapel in Islington as part of 40th Anniversary tour and brilliant venue and band in great form - hard to beat live music for atmosphere and sound and communal interest but Naim gives us a very good second best

Bob

Yep, that's a lovely venue. The pews are a bit hard on the back-side after a while but acoustics and atmosphere more than compensated.

Posted on: 25 November 2017 by Shropshire Hills

Pees are hard but took a cup of cocoa into the first half followed by a pint in the bar at the interval and now off for second half in happy mood

There's a selection of good  pics from the Brixton gig here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157689599673155/

Goldfrapp at the Brixton O2 Academy 10th November 2017

Posted on: 25 November 2017 by ChrisH

Saz'iso at the Pontio in Bangor, 3/Nov2017

Went with my wife to visit her niece at Bangor Uni a couple of weeks back and her niece suggested we went to a gig that was on at the Uni's new arts centre, an 8 piece band that played Southern Albanian music. I have to say that the idea didn't thrill me at the time, and I hadn't made the connection with the article and the band that had been on Cerys' show on 6 Music the week before. Basically they are a 'supergroup' made up of the best musicians from the Southern Albania.

The seats/tables were laid out cabaret style and it was a quiet atmosphere to start with, with each musician taking the lead throughout the set. But by the end they had won the audience over and stormed it, ending the show by walking out into the foyer and continuing to play several more songs, getting everyone dancing out there! 

In summary, I would thoroughly recommend seeing them, they are for sure not at all mainstream, but fantastic musicians and a very different live experience. Certainly far exceeded my expectations     :-)