When was the last concert you went in 2017

Posted by: kuma on 05 January 2017

Ok, my scheduled next concert isn't till Feb but I'll start a new thread for 2017!

Posted on: 26 November 2017 by IanG

Robert Plant in Llandudno on Wednesday. A great concert. A good mix of new and old, blues covers and a handful of new takes on old Zep numbers.

Really looking forward to doing it all again at Manchester Apollo on Thursday.

Posted on: 28 November 2017 by Hmack

Robert Plant for me as well in Glasgow yesterday.

Very good band, and a great performance by the man himself. His voice was very much stronger than I had expected, and more or less back to the Zeppelin days for the Zeppelin covers. I think I counted 6 of them including a rousing "Whole lotta love" for the final encore.

Much better than I had expected, and very highly recommended if you get the chance to catch his tour.

Before that, Richard Thompson in Edinburgh a few weeks back. It has certainly been a good few weeks.

Next will be Queen in a week or so, but I'm really not too sure about Adam Lambert fronting the band. 

Posted on: 28 November 2017 by TOBYJUG

Fleet Foxes at the o2 Brixton just Sunday last.

First time I have seen these. A fan of the o2 venue and sound system  so can't comment on whether they sounded as good as they could - but superb.

really got into those lovely harmonies, time changes, textures and feel that are hinted at on a home system. Got to see the complexity of their arrangements with several instrument changes during a song - let alone the set.   Heard very unusual sounds coming from the guy on keys.

must be one of the greatest nights I've had in front of a band.

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by Eoink

Couple of gigs this week:

Sunday Julian Jacobson recital as St John's Smith Square. Part of his 70th birthday celebrations, a sadly not very well attended show, maybe 100 people in the hall, maybe a few more, I'm not very good at estimating. He's a very good, not great, concert pianist, a good performance of Schubert D850 followed by brilliant performances of the Moonlight and then Prokofiev Sonata No 7. I didn't sdtay for the encores as I was heading to the Tate for the Whiteread exhibition. Very fine concert.

Then a massive change of style, Robert Plant at the Manchester Apollo last night. Superb gig, the Shape Shifters are a fantastic and tight band, Percy's new album is one of my favourites of the year, I had a fantastic time.

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by audio1946

beth hart    excellent night that didn't cost a fortune

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by Bert Schurink

Looking forward to the concerts of this weekend. Tonight in Nurnberg, Sunday in Munich...

Arabella Steinbacher | Violine
Nils Mönkemeyer | Viola
Constantinos Carydis | Dirigent

Mozarteum Orchester Salzburg

Mozart, Symphonie Nr. 34 C-Dur KV 338
Mozart, Sinfonia concertante für Violine, Viola und
Orchester Es-dur KV 364 (320d)
Mozart, Symphonie Nr. 40 g-Moll KV 550

Leif Ove Andsnes

Sibelius: Ausgewählte Werke für Klavier
Widmann: Idyll und Abgrund – Sechs Schubert-Reminiszenzen
Schubert: Drei Klavierstücke D 946
Beethoven: Sonate Nr. 17 d-moll op. 31/2 „Der Sturm“
Chopin: Nocturne H-Dur op. 62/1
Chopin: Ballade Nr. 4 f-moll op. 52

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by IanG

Robert Plant at ManchesterApollo. Much better than the previous week at Llandudno. Plant and the band seemed much more up for it.

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by vintageaxeman

Last one in '17 was Blue October. Next one is Blue October in March '18. Fabulous band, great music, great gig last time, so hoping for a good one in 2018 too...

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by notnaim man

Lau at St George's Bristol last night, very good sound. Labelled as folk, the 10th anniversary tour starts purely acoustic, visualise your typical TV interpretation of a Gaelic/Celtic pub scene. It moves to electric, to someone of my age, memories of Curved Air, bands with Watkins Copycats, a light show reminiscent of a Quintessence concert at the Victoria Rooms. But it's up to date, innovative, inventive, ethereal, atmospheric. Look up the lyrics for Ghosts.....

Posted on: 02 December 2017 by Bert Schurink
Bert Schurink posted:

Looking forward to the concerts of this weekend. Tonight in Nurnberg, Sunday in Munich...

Nils Mönkemeyer | Viola

Leif Ove Andsnes

The first concert was a mixed bag. The two symphonies where average. Nr 40 was much too fast, rushing... what was great the piece with Arabella and Nils brilliant playing and a nice encore...

Posted on: 02 December 2017 by kuma

Program

Grieg: Suite No. 1 from Peer Gynt
Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto
Sibelius: Symphony No. 1

Finnish director Storgardes makes a debut at the Orchestra Hall along with Shaham as a soloist.

I loved the familiar Mendelssohn played by always smiling Shaham. This isn't my favourite program due to over exposure and every time I hear this tune reminds me of Jack Benny's violin test skit. :/

Shaham gave a fresh contemporary flair, it's still a bit fussy for my taste but outer movements were acrobatic and exciting. The slow movement can be a bit sweeter but he avoided a typical schmaltz. The final movement could have had some wit, too. As you can see from the video, the finale was an audience pleaser, however.

Peer Gynt could be more expressive and animated. I felt that Storgards' direction rather wooden and too even keeled  missing some colours there.

Lofty Sibelius Symphony 1 was much better in terms of dynamics but this, too felt a bit stiff lacking mystical magic.

Posted on: 03 December 2017 by count.d

Elvis In Concert Live On Screen, few days ago at Manchester. Strange gig that actually worked. 

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by count.d

Chris Rea at Manchester Apollo last night. I saw him about 20 years ago and thought he was very good, but last night he was superb. These old masters learn new tricks and the Apollo sounded great as usual.

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by Bert Schurink
Bert Schurink posted:

Nils Mönkemeyer | Viola

Leif Ove Andsnes

My 2nd concert of the weekend did require some effort in total 400km was through snow...., but in part it was worthwhile.

Sibelius was great. Widmann with notes in front of him, a bit an odd part in the concert. After the break the Beethoven Sonate the first part was not optimal, the rest was brilliant. Chopin was great as he also played another ballade as encore. He ended with another Sibelius. So in total - in parts great, but not across the whole concert. 

Other pictures...

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by hungryhalibut

A little while ago now - Nabucco at La Scala on 24 October. 

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by kuma
Bert Schurink posted:

My 2nd concert of the weekend did require some effort in total 400km was through snow...., but in part it was worthwhile.

Sibelius was great. Widmann with notes in front of him, a bit an odd part in the concert. After the break the Beethoven Sonate the first part was not optimal, the rest was brilliant. Chopin was great as he also played another ballade as encore. He ended with another Sibelius. So in total - in parts great, but not across the whole concert. 

Bert,

Which venue?

How's the accoucstic?

kuma posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

Bert,

Which venue?

How's the accoucstic?

Is the Prince Regent Theater in Munich. The acoustics are average as it’s a theater and not a music hall. While I am very close to the podium, so I have a direct feel for what is being played. The other hall in Munich while not perfect is much much better and it’s called the Philharmonie Gasteig. But even this one they are going to renovate including Acoustic overall.

Funny enough I startet to google and saw some comments that the acoustics are good, so never trust your fellow forum members ears :-) or realize he is super critical...

Prinzregententheater

Prinzregententheater
The Prinzregententheater, or Prince Regent Theatre, is a theatre and opera house located at 12 Prinzregentenplatz in the Bavarian city of Munich, Germany.

Building and History Edit

Initiated by Ernst von Possart, the theatre was built in the Prinzregentenstrasse as a festival hall for the operas of Richard Wagner near an area where a similar project of King Ludwig II had failed some decades before. Named after Luitpold, Prince Regent of Bavaria the building was designed by Max Littmann and opened 21 August 1901 with a production of "Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg" by Richard Wagner. Like the Bayreuth theatre, the auditorium was designed to Wagner’s specifications, however an amphitheater has replaced the loges.[1]

After the destruction of the Nationaltheater during World War II, the Prinzregententheater housed the Bavarian State Opera from 1944 to 1963 even though it also suffered damage during the war which was not repaired until 1958. Since its renovation in 1988, the Prinzregententheater, with 1122 seats, has served also for the Bavarian Staatsschauspiel and now houses the Bavarian Theatre Academy founded by August Everding. Another theatre in the building, the Akademietheater or Academy Theatre, seats 300.[2]

Some famous world premieres Edit

Prinzregententheater, ca. 1910
12 June 1917, Palestrina by Hans Pfitzner
27 March 1952, Weg zum Licht ballet by Victor Gsovsky with music by Georges Auric
22 July 1952, ballet Pas de cœur by Victor Gsovsky / Gottfried von Einem
25 February 1954, new edition of Die Bernauerin, by Carl Orff
29 March 1956, Don Juan de Manara by Henri Tomasi
11 August 1957, Die Harmonie der Welt by Paul Hindemith
16 February 1960, ballet Danza by Heinz Rosen / Werner Egk
1961, ballet La Buffonata by Heinz Rosen / Wilhelm Killmayer

Posted on: 05 December 2017 by u77033103172058601

Total cheapskate that I am I managed to get to hear quite a lot of Handel's Messiah in Romsey Abbey on Sunday. The orchestra was the Hanover Band (?). A pretty competent sounding small orchestra that managed to fill the Abbey. And because it was a rehearsal it was all for free.

I am glad that I overcame my normal aversion to stepping inside any place of worship.

Posted on: 05 December 2017 by Eoink
Nick from Suffolk posted:

The orchestra was the Hanover Band (?). A pretty competent sounding small orchestra that managed to fill the Abbey. And because it was a rehearsal it was all for free.

I'm a huge fan of the Hanover Band. I have excellent recordings of the Beethoven and Schubert symphomies from them, nice period recordings.

Posted on: 05 December 2017 by kuma
Bert Schurink posted:

Is the Prince Regent Theater in Munich. The acoustics are average as it’s a theater and not a music hall. While I am very close to the podium, so I have a direct feel for what is being played. The other hall in Munich while not perfect is much much better and it’s called the Philharmonie Gasteig. But even this one they are going to renovate including Acoustic overall.

Thanks Bert.

Looks a lot older than 1901 when it was built. Impressive. I am admiring the ceiling decoration. I assume Prince paid for it?

Posted on: 05 December 2017 by Bert Schurink
kuma posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

Thanks Bert.

Looks a lot older than 1901 when it was built. Impressive. I am admiring the ceiling decoration. I assume Prince paid for it?

Don’t think so. The prince had his own theater the famous Cuvilliés Theater in the palace...odd fact is that on the same square - the Risidenzplatz - Hitler had his private apartment / house in Munich...

Posted on: 09 December 2017 by Eoink

Alice Jones and Kimber’s Men in the Hollin’s Mill pub just down the hill from me, fundraiser for reopening the local Puzzle Hall as a community pub. Alice Jones is a young folk singer, good range of songs, good voice, good instrument playing, excellent stage presence and her exhibition of body percussion (in her special “slapper trousers”) was great fun, she’s already played Sidmouth Folk Festival, could go far. Kimber’s Men are a fixture on the folk scene, billing themselves as probably Britain’s finest sea shanty band. Their usual high quality harmony singing. Great fun gig, and we got the news at the start that the community bid for the pub has been accepted, so the hard work starts now. 

Posted on: 11 December 2017 by winkyincanada

Diana Krall in Vancouver on Friday night. Good band, good music, but perhaps lacking a little something. (I think I prefer her arrangements when she "jazzes up" folk songs (Mitchell, Dylan etc) to those where she "pops down" jazz tunes.)